how much popcorn is too much?

Options

Replies

• Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Used to work in a cinema where I could eat the hot popcorn right out from the machine...Huuuuummmmmmm ! Yes well, cinema popcorn is full of oil and salt, but heh...

Now I'm mostly eating Redenbacher microwave popcorn "extra butter taste", but I do split the bag in half with my boyfriend. Ends up 250 calories for like 5 cups...I think it's a good snack :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    That's a subjective question, and answers are going to vary.

Eat whatever amount you like which suites your goals. If you chose to get all of your carbohydrates from popcorn, and you otherwise feel great throughout the day, more power to you.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but if your going nuts on the popcorn, get yourself an air-popper. It will spare the fat and make it easier on you for clean up. If you're deadset on making it on the stovetop, give coconut oil a try. It's composition is unlike alot of other fats and your body processes it as a carbohydrate. Not to mention it adds a nice light coconut flavor to your popcorn.
  • spartymama
    Options
    Popcorn is a whole grain and pretty low calorie yet filling..... I say go for it!
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I bought this and it works great and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No oils needed, no butter needed...yumm now I am going to the redbox getting a movie and making me some popcorn!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-PowerPop-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/3164
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    :bigsmile: I now have a craving for popcorn! I think that'll be my afternoon snack.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It's too much if you go over your daily cals with it. Otherwise Id say eat what you want.
    I air pop it or microwave it in a paper lunch bag without oil. It works great!
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn almost every day ;) I use the brown paper bag method with no oil or my air popper! I portion it out to 100 calories and snack on it at work - or have that instead of chips with my sandwich!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a pan on the stove too and just use a quick spray of olive oil. I haven't had any sticking/burning issues and it is delicious I don't think I could ever give it up.

oh! i must try this! my bag of kernels says to use 1/4 cup of oil... which has TONS of calories.
  • Jeanne78832
    Options
    I always have one bag of light popcorn which is 2 servings. I think one bag of popcorn is a good amount, if it is light or fat free and if it doesn't put you over your calorie goal.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn almost every day ;) I use the brown paper bag method with no oil or my air popper! I portion it out to 100 calories and snack on it at work - or have that instead of chips with my sandwich!

how do you use the paper bag to pop without oil?
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is superhero food, just like steel cut oats. I eat popcorn everyday, it's like sunshine in a bag. I oil pop mine in a popcorn kettle machine. Then give i kick it up a notch with some seasonings. I stopped adding butter and salt and I don't miss it. :wink:

I eat a minimum of 8 cups a day. Enjoy your poppycorn. :smile:
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.

How do you get internet from your cave, Ugg? You must have....EVOLVED.
  • BrownsFan16
    Options
    [/quote]
    1 kernel is too much, corn is a grain and bad for you. We have not evolved to properly digest grains.
    [/quote]

WTF?
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh the plain raw kernels, put them in a brown paper lunch bag, and microwave it.
    It works very well once you figure out the time, and it's 100% plain except for what you choose to put on it.
    I didn't think this would work at first, I thought you needed a special bag or something.
    It's way cheaper too! :-)
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    In England I just buy the microwave bags. Though by the sound of it, it might be healthier to cook on the stove then i dont have to add salt.
  • Gerry_Lane
    Options
    Only your body knows for sure if 4 cups is too much....keep in mind, that corn (fixed any way) is a carbohydrate and eventually is metabolized into sugar (glucose). Corn, however, is high on the glycemic index of foods (pop corn too)...which means it converts to sugar quickly. The lower a glycemic index, the better (this only applies to carbohydrates)

I have an article on glycemic index and glycemic load if you're interested

Gerry
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I got a hot air popper for Christmas. No oil needed, and that saves big time on calories.
    I eat it plain, but you could use the butter type spray and salt as you like for low calories. I am trying to avoid sodium though and have found I don't miss it too much anymore.
    It is very low calorie plain, and good fiber.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    slim104 wrote:
    In England I just buy the microwave bags. Though by the sound of it, it might be healthier to cook on the stove then i dont have to add salt.

Cheaper too. Microwave popcorn goes down to £0.66 per 100 g. Ordinary popcorn goes down to £0.20 per 100 g.
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I buy the orville kernels and pop them on my stove top.. I usually eat 4 cups of popcorn with only half a tbsp of olive oil. The olive oil adds no taste, its just mandatory when popping the kernels or else they'll burn and stick to the pan.

anyways, am i eating too much popcorn? I've been told it's healthy and I've become sort of attached to it lol

How do you get internet from your cave, Ugg? You must have....EVOLVED.

:laugh: OMG I literally just spit my popcorn out of my mouth laughing at that! LMAO!!!

I eat popcorn daily- at least once, if not twice. I pop the kroger brand 94% fat free kind. The whole bag is only 75 calories and soooo good!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting some kernals now. Thanks :D