5' and under: What is your cal goal?

Options
I'm 4'11" and I'm having a really hard time finding something that works for me. All I know is that I prefer to have a net goal over a total goal. I'd rather have a built-in deficit and be able to eat back exercise cals, because I've found that otherwise, I'm less motivated to work out.

However, this does bring me to my next question, why is it ok to have a "total cal goal" of 1500 and burn 500 cals, but not ok to have a "net cal goal" of 1000, burn 500, and eat back those 500? I've been told over and over that setting a NET goal of 1000 is bad, but I've also been told to aim for 1500 and not eat back exercise cals. But if I end up burning 600, isn't that worse?

I really hope I'm making some sense, but I just don't understand the double standard between net cal goals and total cal goals.

***Also want to add that I DO have a HRM, so I don't think I'm overestimating cals burned (at least not by much)

Any way, if you're a shortie like me, I'd love to know what's been working for you!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Have you figured up your BMR? Shorter people do sometimes need a lower net goal especially if you don't have a lot of weight left to lose. Check out the 'tools' tab at the top of the site and click 'BMR', and maybe try setting your net goal for that number and eating back your exercise calories. If you set your net for your BMR then you know you're not going to low and people can't really argue with it. People argue with arbitrarily picking a number lower than 1200 since MFP will not automatically give you anything lower, but if you figure up your BMR and can really use that lower number b/c of your height, you have great ammo for anyone who bashes on you setting net under 1200. JMO
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Okay, this site is built for "average" people.

We're not average.

I'm 4' 10" and frankly the 1200 calorie minimum is ridiculous. It's a figure that works for "the average women" which we're certainly not. Someone of our stature can safely eat 1,000 a day, no problem.

Having said that, admittedly it took me a year to get from obese to normal, but I didn't go below 1200 calories and often had more. I could have perfectly healthily eaten 1,000 a day, but I'm in this for the long term and aren't really interested in quick results.

Really, to be brutally honest, as someone who is shorter than normal, you're going to have to educate yourself about nutrition and health. Even the BMI index, flawed thought it is for ordinary people, breaks down if you're shorter than five foot.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm very aware that rules apply differently to us "shorties"
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I've been told over and over that setting a NET goal of 1000 is bad, but I've also been told to aim for 1500 and not eat back exercise cals.
    Great advice for an average sized woman. But we're not average!

It's not what you want to hear, but really there's always going to be a large element of "suck it and see" in our calorie calculations. This makes it very important to weigh / measure food properly, so we can learn what is going on in our bodies...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Height isnt really the concern and unlesa there is a pre-existing condition then we all follow the same fomula to lose weight. So have you calculated your bmr and tdee?
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    BMR: 1232 according to MFP

TDEE: 2117 according to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Couldn't find a TDEE calculator on MFP
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments. I am 4 feet 11 1/2, with a small frame; and this makes a lot of difference. Somebody can be short with a larger frame and can carry more weight (eat more), without problems. I can't.

This database gave me a BMR of 850 (or around that number because I can't remember the exact figure); however, another database that I found on line, said that my BMR was 1040.

I am on maintenance and given 1210 calories daily. I am trying to eat between 1300 and 1500 total calories (which include 1/2 of my exercise calories), because I am doing more and heavier strength training, and so far I have been able to maintain my weight for over one year. However, most of the times, I am below 1200 net calories.

To the OP, just try to figure out what is best for you and change your routine, exercises and or daily calories until to find what fits you better.
  • femmi1120
    Options
    Alright, so I guess I'll start aiming for my BMR and eating back exercise cals.

Just sooo frustrated because I was maintaning before I got back on MFP without watching what I eat or exercising. Now I'm watching what I eat AND exercising and STILL maintaining. I've just been fluctuating between 122 and 125 for MONTHS :(

Even gaining would be better than this because then I'd at least have some idea of which direction to go with my cal goals, because I'm at the point where I have people telling I'm not losing due to eating too much and others telling me I'm not losing due to not eating enough. Going a little nuts now...

Thank you all for the responses though! Guess I'll just have to keep working with it! Also, feel free to add me :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

TDEE: 2117 according to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If that is your tdee, then you should be eating 1700 calories total. The next question is what are you doing for exercise? Also dont worry about net calories so much. I know many people push that agenda but i have seen studies that suggest weight training can prevent a reduction in muscle loss.
  • femmi1120
    Options

If that is your tdee, then you should be eating 1700 calories total. The next question is what are you doing for exercise? Also dont worry about net calories so much. I know many people push that agenda but i have seen studies that suggest weight training can prevent a reduction in muscle loss.

Where did you get 1700 from? Also, TDEE is supposed to factor in exercise, right? I set it to moderate activity because I factored in my workouts, but if I were to set it based on regular daily activity, it'd probably be light or even sedentary.

And I'm doing mostly elliptical, treadmill, walking, some jogging, boot camp classes (3x/week), core/sculpt class, dance, and I just started Insanity. Not all on the same day though :) I also do weight training sporadically but most of my strength training comes from the classes. We work mostly with our body weight and dumbells.
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    I love food. And have only been doing this for 5 weeks. I have been eating around 1400-1600 Cals a day when I don't work out and 1600-1800 cals on days a workout. I'm averaging a little less than an 1 1/2 a week lost. Works for me because I want to loose weight slowly and with foods I'm going to eat after this "diet"

I would love to find some friends who are around the same as myself.
    started 212
    current 204
    goal for the end of this year 150
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd tag along here.

I've educated myself about nutrition (exhaustively) but am really, really unsure as to how much to eat. I'm trying to lose weight - about 15-25 lbs. My husband says I should eat 1500/day and I think I should eat 1300. My information is based on the recommendation of everyone else, all of them being way over 5'0". I'm right now 5'0" at 133 lbs. I do exercise and am watching what I eat. I don't see much of a weight loss. I want to lose weight but keep it off... how do I figure out how many calories *I* need to eat? My husband would flip out if he thought I ate less than 1200/day. (I have a former ED)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1/2" and I lose exactly nothing when I net 1200 calories. I did it all last summer. I walked every day (in disgusting Georgia heat) during lunch and then did 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack at night after work. Not all at the same time, but when I finished one program I went right to the next. I did my very best to net 1200 calories daily. I lost nothing. No weight, no inches.
    I asked my doctor about it when I went in for another reason (broken tailbone) and he said I could safely eat 800 calories a day as long as I was eating good food. I had to make each calorie count, no junk. And if I exercised at all I had to increase my calories.
    I knew that 800 wouldn't work but I did go down to 1000 calories a day. And the weight slowly started dropping. I changed my diet to include more lean protein and vegetables and less starches and sugar. My weight dropped some more. I've started exercising seriously again. I'm burning at least 400 calories 6 days a week. I do eat back my exercise calories but I stay below 1100 net calories. It's working.
    I know there are people who will tell me I'm not eating enough and that I should increase my calories. But I know what happens when I net 1500 calories. I gain. That's how I got here in the first place.
    It's simple math. If you're smaller, it takes less energy to do everything (except when you need to go fetch a step stool because you can't reach the top shelf in the cupboard). I don't believe that 1200 is a magic number. I believe that everyone here is different. I'm short and I am petite. I do not need as much food as someone who is 5'6" and has a medium frame. I just don't. And I am not starving. I am getting definition in my arms and legs, my abs are stronger (but still need to be uncovered), my skin is clear, my hair is thick and shiny.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I do exercise and am watching what I eat. I don't see much of a weight loss. I want to lose weight but keep it off... how do I figure out how many calories *I* need to eat? My husband would flip out if he thought I ate less than 1200/day. (I have a former ED)
    In view of your former ED, I suggest you eat 1200 calories, with EVERYTHING weighed, PLUS anything you burn as exercise on top of your usual activity) as a long term strategy.

Yes, it will take a long time to lose weight, but better that than developing / reinforcing an unhealthy attitude to food.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    The bottom line is that I'm shorter than 5"....,
  • estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Just sooo frustrated because I was maintaning before I got back on MFP without watching what I eat or exercising. Now I'm watching what I eat AND exercising and STILL maintaining. I've just been fluctuating between 122 and 125 for MONTHS :(

Even gaining would be better than this because then I'd at least have some idea of which direction to go with my cal goals, because I'm at the point where I have people telling I'm not losing due to eating too much and others telling me I'm not losing due to not eating enough. Going a little nuts now...

Thank you all for the responses though! Guess I'll just have to keep working with it! Also, feel free to add me :)

You should really consider buying a HRM. I was going off MFP in regards to exercises cals and I was over estimating. Now that I use the HRM I have learned that I burn more cals one day and I may even burn less on the other. Also, I'm 5'2 ( still short) and when people told me to up my cals when i wasnt losing weight, that didn't work for me at all. I was stuck at my starting weight for weeks. My point is everyone is different and you really have to see what works for you. I have gone below 1200 net and it doesn't hurt me, it's hard because I like to eat, but remember you r now retraining yourself to eatting more healthy and less frequently ( if u had an over eatting problem to begin with, like I did). Good luck!
  • femmi1120
    Options

You should really consider buying a HRM. I was going off MFP in regards to exercises cals and I was over estimating. Now that I use the HRM I have learned that I burn more cals one day and I may even burn less on the other. Also, I'm 5'2 ( still short) and when people told me to up my cals when i wasnt losing weight, that didn't work for me at all. I was stuck at my starting weight for weeks. My point is everyone is different and you really have to see what works for you. I have gone below 1200 net and it doesn't hurt me, it's hard because I like to eat, but remember you r now retraining yourself to eatting more healthy and less frequently ( if u had an over eatting problem to begin with, like I did). Good luck!

Thanks, but I do have one and I use it religiously :) That always seems to be the first advice people give me which is why I made a point of adding it to my original post, but I'm guessing you misread it?

A lot of people say MFP overestimates and for a lot of things, it really does, but I've also found that it tends to underestimate a lot for me also. Specifically for elliptical workouts and sometimes walking and running.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Where did you get 1700 from? Also, TDEE is supposed to factor in exercise, right? I set it to moderate activity because I factored in my workouts, but if I were to set it based on regular daily activity, it'd probably be light or even sedentary.

And I'm doing mostly elliptical, treadmill, walking, some jogging, boot camp classes (3x/week), core/sculpt class, dance, and I just started Insanity. Not all on the same day though :) I also do weight training sporadically but most of my strength training comes from the classes. We work mostly with our body weight and dumbells.

I got 1700 but cutting 20% from your tdee and i always include exercise as part of your tdee. Depending on how long you exercise it could be higher. Insanity alone will put you around 1800 calories if you follow the beachbody guidelines. The closer to your goal, the closer to your tdee you will need to eat as your body doesnt want to shed fat. So in order to cut fat, you eat more. And it truly doesnt matter how short you are, its all based on exercise, lifestyle and bmr.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you set to moderately active based on exercise, just make sure you don't eat back exercise calories then. :)

I am 5'0, 117.3, and I eat 1200 calories on non-exercise days and up to 1500 calories exercise days. We are going to ignore my last week of going over that. If the scale would kindly do the same :)

I have been on MFP for about two months and lost about 10 pounds. I am trying a zig zag approach: exercise, rest, exercise, rest, which fluctuates my calories day to day. Try some weight training if you aren't already--I absolutely love it. :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and I'm having a really hard time finding something that works for me. All I know is that I prefer to have a net goal over a total goal. I'd rather have a built-in deficit and be able to eat back exercise cals, because I've found that otherwise, I'm less motivated to work out.

However, this does bring me to my next question, why is it ok to have a "total cal goal" of 1500 and burn 500 cals, but not ok to have a "net cal goal" of 1000, burn 500, and eat back those 500? I've been told over and over that setting a NET goal of 1000 is bad, but I've also been told to aim for 1500 and not eat back exercise cals. But if I end up burning 600, isn't that worse?

I really hope I'm making some sense, but I just don't understand the double standard between net cal goals and total cal goals.

***Also want to add that I DO have a HRM, so I don't think I'm overestimating cals burned (at least not by much)

Any way, if you're a shortie like me, I'd love to know what's been working for you!

I'm 4ft 11.5, but a lot heavier than you - I'm 169lbs, and exercising 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.

My TDEE including exercise cals is just over 2000 so I have been eating at a 20% defict = 1600

I prefer the TDEE minus x% deficit as I can plan my days better.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

I got 1700 but cutting 20% from your tdee and i always include exercise as part of your tdee. Depending on how long you exercise it could be higher. Insanity alone will put you around 1800 calories if you follow the beachbody guidelines. The closer to your goal, the closer to your tdee you will need to eat as your body doesnt want to shed fat. So in order to cut fat, you eat more. And it truly doesnt matter how short you are, its all based on exercise, lifestyle and bmr.

But BMR is based on height. A taller person is going to generally have a higher BMR than a shorter person.