Sick.... Again.

Options
2»

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick very often (knock on wood). I always intend to take vitamins but rarely actually remember to take them :/

I drink lots of water, drink tea (usually white or black) whenever I feel a little run down/tired/sniffly, etc. I also eat a of fruit and veg to get my nutrients.

A couple of years ago, I seemed to be getting sick more often than usual.. and this seemed to coincide with coughing/sneezing noises from co-workers. Since then, I've started washing my hands/using anti-bacterial gel anytime I leave my desk and touch anything that others would touch (water fountain, printer, etc). I also make sure to not touch the handle of the door when leaving the restroom (I wash MY hands, of course, but who knows if all of the other ladies do! :( ).

Usually when I do get sick, it's quite mild. I can't say for sure which of these tings is the reason, but I am going to stick with doing all of these things! Good luck :)
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    vitamin D3. 5000 IU daily Hope you feel better soon.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Overexercising? Not drinking enough? Do you get enough sleep? So many factors affect our immune system. I know for me personally when I don't eat well and I overexercise I get sick frequently. Take a look at those things and see what you find.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I will definitely try the sinus rinses as I've heard that's really the only thing to help chronic recurring sinus infections. I've just been scared to use them. :/

Appreciate everyone who responded.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I used to be you! Sick 3-4 times a year. Like REALLY SICK! Do you still have your tonsils? Other than that Idk what else to tell you. As soon as i had mine taken out, I hardly get sick now. If I do its just the cold. But other than that, good luck!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face with your hands. Wash your hands.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!!

I take a multivitamin, calcium and fish oil every day. What kind of magical vitamins are you taking? Share them with me. :frown:

I guess this "flu" that hit during the winter/spring is a real nasty one. :grumble: I have two friends that got it and have had recurring bouts for the past 3 months. Not fun. Just try to build your immune system up to help fight it and get plenty of rest.:yawn:

Sounds gross but try spraying your home and the surfaces with Lysol. I also make sure I wipe the shopping carts with the anti bacterial wipes at the markets too.

Probiotic's and Digestive Enzymes are great to help keep you healthy. They put good bacteria in your tummy. I even give my dogs Probtiotic's and Digestive Enzymes to help keep them healthy. I also use Airborne when I feel a cold coming on.

Hang in there. This too will pass and you'll feel better. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you been going through a stressful time? I had mono when I was 14 and every few years, I try to do too much and I will have a mono relapse and be sick as a dog for about a week.

In the winter of 2008-2009 I was sick every week for about 2-3 months. It was a really stressful time (I had just graduated from college and didn't have a job lined up in the midst of the worst recession in decades) and once my life had settled, I stopped getting so sick.

I also moved to a new area and when you do that, you can expose yourself to a whole new batch of viruses with a new population of people.

In my personal experience, when I get sick it's because I haven't been taking care of myself and my stress level is through the roof.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    for sinus probs I STRONGLY recommend the netti pot or sinus rinse. At the FIRST sign of congestion, rinse your sinuses - ALWAYS use distilled water, DON'T use tap water (this can lead to worse infections)
    I've had allergies & sinus infections ALL MY LIFE - MUCH better now since I rinse. I seldom ever have one (knock wood)
    I know it sounds gross & uncomfortable but it's better than a sinus infection.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I swear by this "concoction":

1 c. Chicken Broth
    2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
    Pinch Cayenne Powder

Bring broth to a boil, add garlic and cayenne, boil for addt'l 2 mins or so. Serve hot. Make sure to eat the garlic cloves.

Breathing in the steam from the broth helps the sinuses open, garlic is a natural antibiotic, cayenne also to help open sinuses.
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    With Neil Med - do NOT use tap water - use distilled ONLY.