Is this true?

Options
When I finished my workout today, I noticed a poster in the locker room that said something like, "The calories you eat right now will not be stored as fat." I believe it was sponsored by some nutrition company. Is that true? I was just curious, I hadn't really thought about what happens to the food I eat after a workout. I usually have lunch about 30 minutes after working out, a salad with chicken on it, that sort of thing.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No expert on this, but I'm thinking that if you burned more than you ate, then the body doesn't have a chance to store calories as fat. Unless you eat like 4 ice cream sundaes after a workout. Pretty sure that will lead to some fat storage.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    When I finished my workout today, I noticed a poster in the locker room that said something like, "The calories you eat right now will not be stored as fat." I believe it was sponsored by some nutrition company. Is that true? I was just curious, I hadn't really thought about what happens to the food I eat after a workout. I usually have lunch about 30 minutes after working out, a salad with chicken on it, that sort of thing.

Depends. If you spent an hour on a cardio machine...the specific calories you burned won't...but any beyond that will. An hour lifting heavy weights...stimulates your body to produce hormones to block fat storage...and so, not only can the calories you eat right now not be turned into fat...but it's very possible your next two meals or more won't be turned into fat either (healthy food folks...healthy food).

I think what the poster was meant to say was that if you burned calories, you can safely eat those calories without gaining weight.

I stand by my first two sentences lol.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    if u dont eat a decent amount of protein after you workout, u just wasted your time. so thats good you eat after your workoout!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Right after you workout your metabolism is highest for the day, and the food you eat will go to replacing muscle glycogen stores if you've done cardio and start the process of repairing muscle damage if you've done strength training- but there is nothing preventing surplus food you eat right after a workout from being stored as fat. You can't eat a big basket of cheese fries and expect it not to count because its right after your workout.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Once after working out I ate a whole gyro but my husband said it was ok since I was "metabolizing really well" after working out. Maybe he was onto something.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    if u dont eat a decent amount of protein after you workout, u just wasted your time. so thats good you eat after your workoout!

No. This isn't true. You're not 'wasting your time' by exercising and not eating protein.

The timing of food consumption, whether it's protein, fat, or carbs, might be marginally important for the pro-athlete. For the rest of us? There's just no reason to make things harder than they have to be with a bunch of rules that really don't matter.

As long as you're getting enough protein throughout the day and as long as you're eating on average less calories than you burn, everything works out to a better, stronger, healthier you, and hopefully slimmer... eventually... provided you stick with it.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    No expert on this, but I'm thinking that if you burned more than you ate, then the body doesn't have a chance to store calories as fat. Unless you eat like 4 ice cream sundaes after a workout. Pretty sure that will lead to some fat storage.

what about 5 ice cream sundaes?
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options

No. This isn't true. You're not 'wasting your time' by exercising and not eating protein.

The timing of food consumption, whether it's protein, fat, or carbs, might be marginally important for the pro-athlete. For the rest of us? There's just no reason to make things harder than they have to be with a bunch of rules that really don't matter.

As long as you're getting enough protein throughout the day and as long as you're eating on average less calories than you burn, everything works out to a better, stronger, healthier you, and hopefully slimmer... eventually... provided you stick with it.

Sensible post! Nice!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Now I want a sundae, lol :) Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it:flowerforyou:
  • EddieakaDardo
    Options
    So you have to eat right after you workout? How soon after you workout because my GF has been at the gym with me and for 5+ weeks with me and she still hasn't lost weight. She works out and doesn't eat until an hour maybe more after we've left. I tell her to eat but she doesn't seem to want to listen to me. I'm at the point where it's upsetting me. But it took her awhile for her to even want to go with me to the gym. How can I help her understand?
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So you have to eat right after you workout? How soon after you workout because my GF has been at the gym with me and for 5+ weeks with me and she still hasn't lost weight. She works out and doesn't eat until an hour maybe more after we've left. I tell her to eat but she doesn't seem to want to listen to me. I'm at the point where it's upsetting me. But it took her awhile for her to even want to go with me to the gym. How can I help her understand?

Pretty sure this is Broscience, not real science.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter when she eats or when she doesn't. There could be any number of factors for why she is not losing weight. However, unless it is bothering her, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, do some research.

It could be:

Water Retention
    Thyroid Issues
    Cortisol Build-up from Stress
    Imbalanced Diet
    Lack of Sleep

As well as many other things, but the timing of when food is consumed is never a factor. Ask the Intermittent Fasting people.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

You don't. Her problem is she's probably not eating enough overall period.

THIS, is good sense right here:

Sensible post! Nice!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

what about 5 ice cream sundaes?

Then you share with me!

Agree completely with LabRat though
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If it's on a poster, don't believe it.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

huh?
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options

Let me guess, Bally's Fitness, right? Yep, they are primarily looking to sell you their stuff from the juice bar. Don't believe it!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options

Let me guess, Bally's Fitness, right? Yep, they are primarily looking to sell you their stuff from the juice bar. Don't believe it!

Oh, and just to follow, it does help to eat afterwards if you are hungry.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

100% incorrect.