Is Cardio-Only a Setup for Failure?

Options

Replies

• Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my treadmill almost every day since August of last year - with a couple of days of here and there :-) What helps me is doing it the same time every day and trying to beat my day before distance! I really dont like the strength training and I know that I should do it but my treadmill and then the summer workouts in the yard should help me with that. Also after I exercise I feel better and I do have to say it is a feeling that lasts me for quite some time - I tell myself "I did it again"!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It is a simple concept:

You eat to lose weight

You exercise for good health.

Both are necessary to live a healthy life!
  • jennchilds
    Options
    Not if you are only doing it for 30 minutes a day.. you need to raise your heart rate, and keep it there for the better part of the 30 minutes. I was skeptical at first but worked for me !
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily a setup for failure, but I think if it's not something that you're interested in you might fail. I personally love dancing so Zumba works for me, and going to classes means a change up in dance routines. However, I personally feel that everyone should throw at least a little muscle work in there once in a while to help with tone and definition. (If you want more hey that's your thing and power to you, not so much mine).
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Exercise has no bearing - at all - on losing body fat.

If you exercise, let's say "300 calories worth," you'll just eat that much more.

It makes no difference to your Calorie Deficit for the day.

If you say "Oh, I'm going to exercise 300 calories, but, still only eat 1600" ... that's silly. Why?

Simply, just DON'T exercise, and only eat 1300.

It's easier to do the latter. Exercise just increases your appetite, beyond the calories-burned.

The ONLY THING THAT MATTERS if you want to eliminate body fat is:

(1) slash your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day, and keep it there precisely

(2) your caloric deficit each day.

Exercise is totally pointless, because it will just make you eat more. If you say "oh, but I'll only eat the same anyway" -- then very simply, DON'T exercise and just eat less.

It's incredibly easy to lose body fat, IF, repeat IF, you keep to 72 grams of carbs per day. Exercise makes no difference either way.

the only thing that matters is your Calorie Deficit on a given day !

Instead of doing 200 cals of exercise, just don't eat a couple spoons of yoghourt .. 200 calories.

Yeah, but cardio boosts your metabolism, meaning it makes you burn even more calories after you're done. And strength training builds muscle, which also ups your metabolism. I'm not saying working out is all you need to do, and eating right isn't really all you should do either, although it does have better results than eating whatever and working out all the time. They work best together.
  • RachFace1000
    Options
    plus, if you're eating right you just get skinny. If you work out you get toned and fit. Skinny looks good in clothes, fit looks good naked.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Really? So if you create a higher calorie deficit from exercise it has NO BEARING?:laugh:

It's easier to do the latter. Exercise just increases your appetite, beyond the calories-burned.

(1) slash your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day, and keep it there precisely

Exercise is totally pointless, because it will just make you eat more. If you say "oh, but I'll only eat the same anyway" -- then very simply, DON'T exercise and just eat less.

It's incredibly easy to lose body fat, IF, repeat IF, you keep to 72 grams of carbs per day. Exercise makes no difference either way.

Instead of doing 200 cals of exercise, just don't eat a couple spoons of yoghourt .. 200 calories.
    Where is the clinical peer reviewed study that shows that exercise is pointless and doesn't help with metabolism?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I ain't no personal trainer but saying exercise has no bearing on weight loss just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

You can be 120lbs of weak muscle fibers and a layer of fat, or you can be 120 lbs of strength with low body fat.

Cardio made a difference to me. My legs got all sorts of slim from running. My thighs especially. And the weight just melted off. And eating 1600 cals plus running 4 miles to burn 400 cals maybe mathematically the same as eating 1200, but I can tell you that I felt better and I looked better when I used the exercise + eating exercise cals method. Maybe my body is just awesome like that, but I think there's something to this whole common sense saying exercise is good for you thing.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    plus, if you're eating right you just get skinny. If you work out you get toned and fit. Skinny looks good in clothes, fit looks good naked.

^^YES!

except in my book a bikini is "wearing clothes" so either way I gotta work for it! haha!
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lost 103 pounds doing cardio only for one year! I did protion control and Treadmill everyday for at least one hour a day! I started strength training after one year and it is ok but bores me. I only do strenght trainingg cause my Doctor wants me to. You need to stay focused and remember why you are doing this to begin with. Mix it up but continue doing your work out you will feel so much better if you get in shape and even then keep working out! Good luck and I wish you much success!
  • RachFace1000
    Options

^^YES!

except in my book a bikini is "wearing clothes" so either way I gotta work for it! haha!

you got this!!! (:
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options

If you exercise, let's say "300 calories worth," you'll just eat that much more.

If you say "Oh, I'm going to exercise 300 calories, but, still only eat 1600" ... that's silly. Why?

Truly terrible advice. Bravo, sir, bravo.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to do a lot of cardio when I'm at the gym. I spend about 2 hours at the gym when I go. Most of that is cardio.

I do have times where I can't make it to the gym. Stuff happens with my kids, or my eye over night swells up to where I can't even see out of it.

Life.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    also, that "exercise just makes you want to eat more" idea is BUSTED.

When I work out, I actually want to eat less (except when I'm lifting heavy!).

Case in point: I hiked up a mountain one day. It burned 1200 cals. I ate fruit, trail mix, i had a decent breakfast. When I got home I felt AWESOME. PERFECT. TIRED. I went to bed. Next day I looked at my diary and I had eaten barely the 1200 for the day, plus I burned 1200 and I wasn't hungry.

Sometimes some people (like me) eat out of boredom. If the boredom is filled with awesome stuff (like running, hiking, surfing) the eating addiction can go down. Surf days I'd spend the entire day out on the beach and fighting and playing in those waves. I'd have a croissant and a coffee for breakfast and a burrito before bed and burn TONS of calories.

So I'm just saying. MOre exercise doesn't exactly mean you want to eat more.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Has no clue! Do it right and stay healthy!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You should also mention to the IP that once she starts eating a normal amount of carbs she will gain every pound back. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. The key to weight loss is everything in moderation. Why do something that you can not maintain forever. Seems like a waste of time to me. Slow and steady wins the race. Low carbs sure it works for a short period. And when she plateaus where do you expect her to go from there?? And I know you response to exercise was only in regards to fat loss at least I hope so. But if she wants to look fit and tight then exercise is a must. If she wants a healthy heart exercise is a must. And if she wants to enjoy food without starving then exercise is a must.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

technically true and if your goal is to be "skinny fat," this is the correct route. I had to stop exercising while heart condition got under control and I actually miss it. I feel that I am weaker - as evidenced by the difficulty my legs have hauling my body weight and a 30-pound bag of food up 6 steps into my house - I use to do this with no problem at all - and I hate that feeling. Part of my identity involves being a strong woman so I am looking forward to getting back to the gym!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

^^YES!

you got this!!! (:

you, too, beautiful! I see you rocking your bikini there :) Nice work!
  • rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had to create a schedule for myself because I was falling victim to this also- 3 strength training days a week. Sometimes when you don't feel like hopping around and doing crazy cardio its nice to do some strength training and just focus on certain areas at a time. And, you don't have to spend 90 mins doing it, at least it shouldn't take that long! Since I started strength training, I've been able to stay more consistent with exercise because I don't feel the burden of having to do a TON of cardio every day.

And lifting/strength training builds muscle which does help cardio get easier too. I think if you're not building muscle and just burning calories, you subject yourself to having to work harder to keep it off. My opinion.

Good luck!

I agree with you! I used to do cardio like religiously! Hiking allllll the time and it got so boring. I still hike almost every day for the simple fact that I enjoy the nature and the trails near my house but I added some strength training and it really does help make cardio easier. It also helps me not give up because I think "well if I don't hike today I can do some strength training for like 15 minutes and still feel good about myself". That way you are at least doing SOMETHING to keep yourself moving, fit, happy, and healthy. I feel like at the end of the day it's your body and you should feel great in it! Good luck and don't give up!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm going to gloss right over the "No Exercise" guy because that's just silly....

Anyway....give 30 Day Shred a try. It is cardio and strength. If you burn out with exercise, you are probably just getting bored with what you are doing. Try something different until something keeps your interest. If it stops keeping your interest, move on to something else. Maybe you'd like ballroom dancing. Maybe Tae Kwon Do. Who knows until you try?

But as long as you keep doing something...then it's all good!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    So if we just bring the calories down to zero, don't have to exercise at all. Awesome.
    Not even bro-science.
    I think we get the point about eating more, eating back exercise calories and so on. That's a personal preference depending
    on goals. Setting the goals and doing the work.

I need to use this for my comedy routine. Thanks!