My clothes don't fit!

Options
I have lost about 42 lbs. so far and am finding that all of my clothes are just hanging off of me, especially my pants! This is bittersweet, because I am beyond excited that I can really see the difference in my weight loss because everything I wear is too big. However, I look horrible wearing baggy clothes, AND I am hiding the fact that I have lost weight under these tents I'm wearing. My favorite thing to wear now is exercise clothes because it's when I can tell a difference in my shape and figure. Ugh, it's just frustrating to be wearing baggy clothes all the time. I don't want to buy new clothes because I plan on losing more and more weight and don't want to buy anything new that will just be too big as well. I also don't want to spend much money on buying new clothes quite yet. Wearing belts don't help either. Any suggestions out there of what to do? Anyone else gone through this too and have any tips??

Replies

• mrskellyray
    mrskellyray Posts: 114
    Options
    i've been watching garage sales and such and just got a whole bunch of nice clothes for $20! :) make sure you're looking there!

and don't be afraid of salvation army or goodwill! :)
  • wembleyruns
    Options
    I'm buying clothes from ebay right now. I need to wear business attire at work which is hard to find in thrift stores. I don't feel so bad when it is only worn briefly if I only paid half price in the first place.
  • 79kimmy
    79kimmy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I actually just went shopping this weekend because I have lost a little over 20 Ibs and yes my clothes are getting too big. I went to several consignment stores where they buy clothes from people and then resell it. I found a few shirts and could have found pants but I'm 6' tall and it is hard to find longs in a regular store much less used. I had to just buy regular price pants and hopefully get some money for them from these consignment stores when I cant wear them anymore!!
  • lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    I have found nice clothes at garage sales. I scope out the nicer areas of town and can find some good name brand things for great prices. Found 3 sun dresses and a nice top this past weekend for $10. I also stop by my local Goodwill from time to time. great place to find jeans and they usually have a dressing room to try things on. Keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing your story. It keeps us motivated to push on.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dresses.. those can forgive a lot of weight fluctuations. for the ones that are a bit too big, i just started wearing a big belt to help it look less like a tent

i'm not going to invest too much in clothing that's (hopefully) going to be too big for the summer.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I suggest all that everyone recommends and I also say on someone's recent post that that there is a MFPthriftstore-not sure if its a group - I think you can find it under the groups -but members who have lost a significant amount of weight lists clothing items for give-aways, etc. you may want to look into that and see if it could work for you.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    good idea. I also check out the local Goodwill/resell shops
    i've been watching garage sales and such and just got a whole bunch of nice clothes for $20! :) make sure you're looking there!

and don't be afraid of salvation army or goodwill! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A tailor is going to be your best friend.. It may be a lil expensive(mine charges 16 dollars per item to take the waist in on pants) but it's going to be cheaper than buying a whole new wardrobe.

Also wait till things in the big department stores are on sale.. I've found a bunch of nice items at Lord and Taylor for 75% off their original price.. which makes each item between 10 and 20 dollars!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Goodwill stores...lots of cute stuff that someone grew out of at ours...hmm...maybe some of these were old clothes of mine...hahaha....just kidding, but you should be able to find something and at a good price...Garage sales are good too! I am in the same boat as you and will be shopping soon for some pants that fit. I have others in my closet that are yet too small, but they should be fitting soon!! YAY! NEED DRESS PANTS FOR WORK THOUGH>>>All I have that fit are jeans and two pair dress pants...yikes!
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to buy from second-hand stores. I know every month the Goodwills in my area have a 50% off clothing sale and then you can really get a good bargain.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Thrift store
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Goodwill, consignment shops, yard sales - all great places to get between sizes - I did this last summer even bought some sweaters at 50 cents each, which I ended up giving away because by the time the cold hit, they were too big - but for 50 cents, it wasn't a loss to me, my weight loss was worth it!

Look for current and smaller sizes (great for motivation).
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    Consignment shops, thrift stores, clearance racks at mall stores and your cheaper stores like Target. Get some basic pieces, especially pants, like black pants and brown pants and then you can change up the tops. The tops are easier to wear big than pants.

And congrats! That's awesome!
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just started buying second hand from thrift stores. I had the same problem but didn't want to buy clothes that would only fit for a month.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Secondhand and consignment shops baby! I have cleaned out my closets and all under the bed containers of clothes that "I will lose weight and wear." I have a pile of clothes on the bedroom floor to donate, my friend who is a little larger than me took a bunch and my closet is getting bare.....I'm heading to the secondhand stores!

Have fun...don't wear baggy clothes!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to do it either.. .but @ nearly 60 lbs down... my wife insisted. It was also sort of like an employability thing too... Hit the thrift stores ... Salvation Army etc. This goes with the territory and is really a good problem. Keep at it. Don't buy $200 dresses at this point but by all means, a few pair of cheap jeans are pretty necessary.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I was in the same situation but found some cute clothes at the good will and thrift stores for very little money.
  • TiffaniUT
    TiffaniUT Posts: 23
    Options
    Such wonderful tips from you all!!! I just got back from working out and saw all of your replies and it put a big smile on my face! I had not thought of going to thrift stores or Goodwill to get clothes. And I really like the idea of getting even SMALLER sizes as motivation! I just love MFP and people like all of you who are here to get healthy and be motivated and give support to others! :)
  • mere024
    mere024 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could go buy one or two really good pair of black pants that will fit you know. You can wear black pants with anything and buying a smaller size and having pants that fit will make you feel good too. You could also try and sell your old clothes that don't fit (Planet Exchange or ebay) and use that money towards new clothes?! You could also buy a pair of pants that are a little snug then you can wear baggy shirts with them... and once you start loosing more weight then they will start to fit and the become big... you could probably use them until you loose another 10lb... its normally every 10lb that you loose a pant size. :)
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    man, i am in the same boat. i am also WAY too cheap to buy clothes before i absolutely have to. but i'm way too proud to buy thrift-store clothes that might not look good on my new skinny bum...pretty much just hiking my pants up and hoping for the best. :)