overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe looks the way he does, but he knows what he's talking about.

^ This was exactly who I thought of when I read the OP. :bigsmile:
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was a cheerleader in High School, and we had a tumbling coach that was quite overweight, and certainly couldn't perform the things she was asking of us. She knew her stuff though.

To be fair, I wasn't the greatest tumbler in the world (I'm quite klutzy), but I knew enough about form/technique to help others.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between being overweight and out of shape. I am still overweight, but from the standpoint of cardiovascular fitness, I am doing just as well as when I was a high school athlete. If the instructor is able to do the workout, give the cues and motivate the class, it shouldn't matter what she looks like. There is a Zumba instructor at my gym and I would not presume to call her overweight because she looks solid, but she is definitely bigger than most group exercise instructors. But, she can teach the class well and the people that take it, love it. I had a 60 year old instructor (and grandmother) put me to shame in a kickboxing class.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Okay. Now if she was struggling that is a whole other thing. I couldn't take a class from someone struggling. Was this an intermediate or beginner class? Because she might be better off in a beginner class where she wouldn't have to work as hard. I wouldn't take another class with her b/c you know what to expect. You need someone who is at least a couple levels above you to motivate you and push you to do more than you want or think you can.
    yes, instructing aka coaching a person to do a skill is one thing, actually getting up in front of the class and doing the moves for what the class is doing is different in my eyes. I have had overweight coaches in my past and was fine and respected them. But this person was panting and dripping after each song. She appeared to struggle doing some moves and I wanted to move at a faster pace as well, but couldn't seem to do this - like I said- I had different people teach this class and everyone is different only they weren't all struggling to finish the songs/dance. hope this clears up my issue.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We have an overweight zumba instructor. She started out (about 18 months ago) as a regular person in class and lost so much weight (80 lbs. and still going) that she changed her whole outlook on life and started learning to teach zumba. She works hard to make her class accessible for people of any weight and any fitness level. Granted, some days, her class is the 'Easy A' sort of class... but some days, she really turns it out and we all work together. That's my theory of working out... or the theory of the workout studio that I attend. We are all working together to be healthy. Sure, this woman is still about 40 lbs. into the overweight category. Will she lose that while being an instructor.... maybe. Does she need to be stuck in the class and not following her dream... nah. I wanna teach a class one day. When I do, I might not look like I'm in the best shape at the time. I wouldn't want to be discouraged even if I couldn't finish a song or had to do the 'level 1' movements after demonstrating the other levels. Everyone has to learn sometime and if I can help our instructor to be better and to lose more weight, I'm proud to.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is overweight and teaches a spin class. As long as a person knows what they're doing, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Many of us don't always practice what we preach.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm entirely ok with it unless they open their mouth and crap rolls out.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm entirely ok with it unless they open their mouth and crap rolls out.
    ick! lol
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It depends more on the physical ability than their weight. Take a look at Super Heavyweight Oly lifters and Powerlifters. They are by all measures, obese. But they're strong as hell, and advanced in their respective sports. If they're effective communicators, they may just be incredible coaches.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options

That being said, I will not let a hairdresser with bad hair touch my head. So that disqualifies a lot of them. :laugh:

lol I'm with you on that one!
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the world is in a constant state of transformation. Even trainers; as they may not have the time due to clients, or are simply burnt out of the gym and all the time they spend there.

I, however, would not listen to any advice they give - whether it's diet or fitness related. Would I still do the class? Sure.

agreed. being a trainer you do get worn out by the end of the day especially when you train your clients back to back and by the end of all the session a lot of times the last thing you want to think about / do is spend another hour there even though now its to focus on you. i will say this though from past clients ive asked when training them. its more likely that a client will pick a trainer whos in shape (same with instructor) when someone has a goal to say lose weight its hard to "believe" the advice given to them by someone who say isnt in shape either. even though they might have the knowledge its kind of like "oh well, did it not work for you"? doesnt mean an instructor cant give a killer class but i probably woudnt ask them for personal advice. id want it to come from someone who really looks like they put the effort into themselves as well.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the world is in a constant state of transformation. Even trainers; as they may not have the time due to clients, or are simply burnt out of the gym and all the time they spend there.

I, however, would not listen to any advice they give - whether it's diet or fitness related. Would I still do the class? Sure.

this.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just 2 pounds ago i was at an "overweight" BMI. I am still by waist measures over weight. I also run 5k's in 23 minutes and can average around 22mph on a 25 mile time trial on a bike. Breaking records... no.... but not bad for a chubby man. Give them a chance...
  • Clarisse0304
    Clarisse0304 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I see my children wrestling,football and cheerleader coach, they look so out of shape themselves but at the same time they been able to show my children tactics to succeed in the sport; even though I believe in leading by example sometimes people no matter their size have tactics and information that if you applied it unlike them you will be able to succeeed. So I will still take the class and hopefully if she was able to deliver and had me breaking a good sweat I will take her again. A lot of us don't practice what we preach, I have a friend that is a respiratory therapist that smokes (how ironic)
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Couple things... we are talking about Zumba aka dancing. I don't think it matters what the instructors looks like, you can be doing much more efficient cardio with your time.

As for instructors. If we are talking classes, I think I would care more about their ability to perform/deliver in their specific class (IE: I wouldn't want a spin instructor who never actually rode a bike or a kickboxing instructor who has no clue what proper form is). As long as they can deliver a hard workout, I wouldn't care.

Personal trainers, that's a different story. When you are hiring one usually the only metric to measure their validity is to assess them physically. If your goal is to lose weight but your instructor is overweight it would lead me to assume they will not be able to help reach the ultimate goal (weight loss). If you want a PT for muscle gain but your PT struggles get through revolving doors (can't push 180 degrees), they probably won't be able to add mass to your frame).
  • dynamic5678
    Options
    I have been teaching fitness and dance for almost 15 years..as I looked back, I feel that its been more the trend to see overweight professionals in this field in the last 5 years....I feel that it is a lack of understanding of nutrition...the crazy work schedules that some instructors adhere to does not help this situation...I attended a dance competition this weekend, and all the choreographers that had award winning pieces were asked to step on stage...of the 12 studios/teachers on stage, only 2 I would consider to be "in-shape" the other 10 were overweight/plus sized easily...funny thing is- they can still move and do anything that the skinny teachers can do. Funny how that works....also, I have a second job where there are two RD's/CDM's who CLEARLY know all there is about daily needs/intake/healthy choices when it comes to food, and the both of them are overweight...its hard to take "healthy eating option" advice from someone who appears to indulge in unhealthy choices, but again...they are good at their jobs and know their stuff :)
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That being said, I will not let a hairdresser with bad hair touch my head. So that disqualifies a lot of them. :laugh:

You got to the hairdresser with bad hair...if all the other hairdressers have good hair...who done their hair for them?? The 1 with the bad hair LOL!! Sorry - was a hairdresser/barber for 15 years and always had bad hair!!

As for the trainer...if they can run the class well and have proper form, why not?
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    I only listen to experts and when you say experts, these are the people that are practicing what they are preaching and you see the outcome to them, otherwise, it is just a hearsay for me. Maybe you can teach your gym instructor on what to do to lose weight...just kidding.

With or without instructor you can reach your ideal weight if you are determine. You can do it at home or at the gym. As of me, I bought my own dumbbells here http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/ and I'm doing great! All we need is discipline.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    im going to do my fitness instructors course in july. and i will still be overweight then!
  • Miasumi
    Miasumi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree. Im really turned off by fitness instructors who are obviously overweight and out of shape no matter what they can do. Im a former belly dancer and know for a fact that those moves (if you’re going to present yourself to an audience) DONOT look stage worthy and the moves are hidden under layers of fat. Must be in good shape and supple otherwise dont put yourself on stage. Everyone should dance but not everyone should be putting themselves out there as an example of expertise or as a teacher.