Are there other C-Section Mommys out there???

Options

Replies

• hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency C-section with my first and planned C with my second. I don't even feel like I can engage my lower abdominals when I exercise. I would be grateful for tips too. Thank you for posting this!

This is me too!
  • Wnava
    Wnava Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a c section almost 3 years ago, and am pregnant right now, and will be having one this august! Not fun and man does it leave a pooch in your tummy! I never had a pooch until my c section and now thats where ALL my weight goes :(
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    3 C's & 1 ovarian tumor (which was the largest incision) I find planks and any core exercise helps along with eating healthy, but it won't make the shelf completely disappear (in my case). After my first, 21 years ago, my tummy bounced back just fine. But after 3 more surgeries, that area just seemed to weaken. Still, I don't mind a small shelf. A pair of Spanx under my dress is a small price to pay to get awesome kiddos like mine :happy:
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency C-section 14 yrs ago and then another 11 yrs ago, both breech. Then a partial hysterectomy, same scar, never had a shelf til i was in a wreck a cpl yrs ago and gained weight there :cry: Hoping to tighten that area. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • AngelaG2006
    Options
    I had my first c-section, 3 years ago, he was 5 days over and after 13 hours of labor laying on my left side. He had a big head and couldn't get it turned right so they did an emergency c-section. With my youngest, 16 months ago, it was a planned c-section. I have the "front butt" and saggy skin. My stretch marks were so severe that the nurses said they hadn't seen them as bad as mine. In fact, my first incision had to be super low because the doctor couldn't cut through the stretch marks.
    I can relate to each of you as far as the "shelf" goes and I haven't heard anything that can be done other than surgery to make it go away. I am hoping that running and different mid-section workouts will help but I don't expect it to ever go away completely. *sigh*
    I have to agree with someone else though...I will gladly wear belly bands and "suck it in suits", as I call them, because I got the BEST gifts from all this disfigurement...my sons are my world and I wouldn't trade them for the world, let alone to have a flat stomach again :)

Hope some of you will add me!! I loved reading your stories and love having support from people I can relate to! :D
  • Misery03
    Misery03 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i had a csec because i cant give birth naturally and my daughter was 9 pounds.6 ounces!!,big baby!! feel free to add me! could use some motivation myself ^_^
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I had a Category 1 Crash C-Section almost two years ago due to a placental abruption.

I have a huge pouch overhanging my scar that has reduced in size as I have lost weight but is still like it is being shelved by the scar.

I need your help with motivation and support as well as things that have worked for you and exercises to do to try to increase the use of the muscles to see if I can reclaim some of this tummy that is a distant memory.

Success stories would be amazing too!!!

I do this ab workout that re-teaches the nerves to communicate with the brain. Apparently when the nerves are severed during surger (I too have a huge scar) they are no longer able to do that. This ab routine (4 exercises) works like a charm. Lost 4 inches in 6 weeks and I am noticing a change already. And I feel the change. It specifically targets the pouch. The exercises are listed on my diar on Monday Wednesdays and Fridays.
  • M2DandA
    M2DandA Posts: 12
    Options
    I had a c-section with my twins 3 yrs ago. Thankfully with my weightloss and working out CrossFit), it is definitely getting better. :)
  • Mandy_Pandy
    Options
    SIgh....my first was an emergency C/S then my other two were scheduled. I had 3 c-sections in less than 4 years so my stomach looks like garbage. I was 191 the day I gave birth to my youngest. I got down to 128 last summer and I still had my "fat shelf". I've gained a bit of weight back but tryin to get back in the 120's but still the shelf lives. Good luck to all you lovely ladies! Lets keep on truckin'! :flowerforyou:
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I had a child almost 18 years ago. I have the same pouch sitting on the scar. That is the one thing I have problems getting rid of. I have lost 35 pounds and still can't completely go down a pants size completely because of that pouch. If I would lose about 3 inches I would probably go down 2 pants sizes. I have started doing some strength exercises and abs workouts, to try to help move it along.
  • jazzykay1971
    Options
    I had a c section 17 years ago. And sadly still have "the shelf". I once even got down to 108 lbs, but it was still there. Someone made the comment that they never really feel their lower abs engage during workouts. I totally agree with this. Why is that/? Maybe when the muscles are cut, they just never go back to how they were. sigh
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Oh C-Sections! I had someone tell me that I wasn't a real mom because I didn't give birth vaginally. Anywhooo I know what you mean, I feel your pain. I had an emergency c-section (placenta previa and started losing a lot of blood) ten months ago and even though I only gained 22 pounds I have a lot of weight to lose. Hopefully it will get better the more I lose (wishfull thinking).
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had 2 C-sections. One almost 19 years ago, and the other was 16 years ago. Still have the pouch although it doesn't feel like it's hanging so much. think i will always have it, no matter what i do, so i'm glad u opened this topic!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Maybe when the muscles are cut, they just never go back to how they were.
    this is exactly what what my doc said
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Emergency C, 14 years ago~vertical incision, because I was so heavy doc said a horizontal would never heal (sigh).

Total abdominal hysterectomy on March 6, 2012. Released by my doc to work and begin exercise just one week ago today.

I have been walking and doing cardio on low impact machines and noticing a marked difference, though I have a long way to go, I will make my goal weight of 220 sometime August-ish and will continue to work toward 190 by November.

Of course, I am hoping that my pooch (actually two pooches, separated by my incision from belly button to pubes), will shrink with proper nutrition and exercise, but if it doesn't go completely away, I am okay with that. Looking good in clothes is just as satisfying to me as looking good naked would be to you younger women and I aim to look great in my jeans!

If I have to wear a one piece or tankini to swim, I will be perfectly happy to do so!!

Just remembering every day, that "something is better than nothing"! Hang in there, all of you and realize your dreams one step at a time!!
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had a c section 17 years ago. And sadly still have "the shelf". Someone made the comment that they never really feel their lower abs engage during workouts. I totally agree with this. Why is that/? Maybe when the muscles are cut, they just never go back to how they were. sigh

^^this^^ it was an emergency one as my first son was 10 pounds 10, then had to have another 15 years ago as they didn't want to take any chances,( I was induced two weeks before my due date, but he was happy where he was and wasn't moving, so another c-section).
  • Reese61477
    Reese61477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my daughter. She is now almost 7. I had the vertical and horizontal incisions as my girl was very stubborn and STUCK in my pelvic bone.

Zumba and Pilates has really helped out a lot. I don't know that I will ever have a flat stomach without surgery though.
  • mrskellyray
    mrskellyray Posts: 114
    Options
    http://mamabirth.blogspot.com/2012/04/guest-post-healing-post-baby-body-it-is.html

http://www.diastasisrehab.com/diastasis-rehab.html

These two links will help you more than you know. :) It is really good information!

I hope it helps! :) It talks about the damage pregnancy and specifically c-sections do to your abs and how to fix it!
  • sbb7249
    sbb7249 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section with my son who is now 3. I've often wondered what will become of "the shelf" once I reach my goal weight. Lots of good tips here to implement!
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. My first baby was 9 lbs 3 oz and he was not coming out so I had to have a c-section. My 2nd was planned. I do not have a shelf but my stomach is not pretty. I have loose, wrinkly skin around my belly button and I have diastisis recti. My pooch is ridiculous. I look pregnant. The only way I get it to get semi-flat is to be extremely careful with my diet. I have a side shot pic in my profile. I can get it to be flatter than that I just have to really limit starchy foods. They go straight to my gut. I can't do regular crunches either. It makes it worse. I see a tummy tuck in my future.