How did you come up with you're GOAL weight?

Options

Replies

• garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other posters who said they have a goal pants size. The scale number I picked because my doctor approved, and based on my history, it seems like a good place for me. But really, my goal is to be in a size 8 pants, regardless of the scale.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For my GW, I picked the lowest weight I can be for my height without being underweight. (I'm 5ft 6in)
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor what I should weigh, and he gave me a very attainable and realisitic goal. about 20 pounds more to go until goal!
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    for me its a good healthy weight to be at for my height....i have been on the underweight side and i have been on the higher end of the "healthy" weight for my height....and i do NOT want to get to the underweight again...which was 126lbs....so for me i wanted to be between 135 and 145....and 142 was 20lbs from where i was....i was 162 so i figured 20lbs was a nice even number LOL...although i may try to get to 140lbs
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I chose my Goal Weight based on a healthy BMI and also based on my starting weight. I recently got a dr. report with my highest recorded weight of 327 (also how much I weighed when I started on this getting healthy thing - see my profile pics for comparison). My GW is 147 lbs. Midrange in a healthy BMI.... also 180 lbs. from where I started. I will be less than 1/2 my size. Not sure what will happen after that for me. There are lingering questions of "will I want to stop there or be 140 lbs." "will I need surgery to remove skin" "will I want to add muscle and end up at 153 lbs." things like that... but I won't know until I get there.

Just for grins and giggles, here is a random image from MyBodyGallery.com of what my height and weight might look like when I get to GW

2.jpg
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on my Dr's recommendation and also within a healthy BMI/Bodyfat for my height and age.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry.. the only thing I am paying attention to is the use of " YOU'RE" in the title.. don't be mad at me! PLEASE!! lol... and I came up with my goal weight just by an estimate. I'm very overweight, I need to lose at least 100. But I set a goal weight at 50 for this time around. Baby Steps.
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Since I just started, I did the old Weight Watchers trick of 10% of my body weight as my FIRST goal. Because getting that amount of weight off will make a huge difference. From there, I may keep doing the 10% or just go for my whole number. It's important for me to not look at that little ladybug moving toward a big number ... i need it broken down so i can have some victories along the way. :) Good luck!
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I was 115 (I'm 5'3). I had absolutely zero muscles, and I wasn't toned, but I *was* a skinny size 2. Then I gained 40 pounds in 2 years :/

My goal weight is 125. I have some pretty awesome (if I do say so myself :blushing: ) leg muscles from running, and I WANT them(: I WANT muscular legs(: I don't want my teeny tiny legs that I used to have ;P so I'm not aiming for the 115 that I used to be.

Once I'm down to 125 I may end up wanting to lose another 5 pounds, but we'll see(: all I know is that I *don't* want to be 115... that's too tiny for me(:
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is my lean body mass + 21% body fat. I chose 21% because it's in the fitness range for women, just short of athletic range. It also puts me at a weight where I was before and knew it was the right weight for me.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is a range (135-145) because I'm not sure exactly how I'll look and feel at 145, but I know it's a healthy weight. I did use BMI, which many people don't agree with (I'm actually one of them, but I have to use SOMETHING to help determine what's healthy!).

BMI says that 119-154 is healthy for me. I have a medium build, so I'm going for somewhere in the middle. Also, this is based on a weight that I've been in the past (around age 22) and like the way my body looks in those pictures.

I say that your goal weight should be whenever you start feeling healthy, happy, and strong. When you like your weight, start maintaining, no matter what your original goal was.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" - and my healthy weight range is 106 to 132. I've been at 132 before (and am finally there again) and know that I'm still flabby at that weight, so I want to be less than that. However, I am a little too curvy to think that I would look healthy at 106. I picked 115 - right in the middle of that weight range. Once I get to that arbitrary number, I'll reassess. If I'm a little more than that but look/feel as if I'm where I want to be, I'll be fine with that too! :smile:
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My goal is about 140. I was this weight a few years ago and looked and felt fantastic, but couldn't maintain it. My boyfriend is awesome and has a really good sense of when enough is enough so I have my true barometer. If it tuns out that 145 looks just fine and I can fit into my clothes from before, then I'm fine with that too. I'm close.

I'm 5'8" and am currently at 157, so I'm not that far off - I'm in a healthy range, so these are now just vanity lbs. (Cannot even believe I just typed that!) However, I have a whole closet filled with cute Ann Taylor work clothes just waiting for one more size down and I'm golden! :)
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just decided to get within the high end of a healthy BMI. I got into that range and then gained a few back. I'm 5' 7". I'm 3 lbs over my "healthy BMI" and can fit pretty well into a size 10. Personally, I would like to weigh 145 which would be about 10lbs less than I am now. My Mom and some coworkers have been telling me that I'd look sick if I lost anymore weight. So, I've modified my goal to replacing my fat with muscle. I'd like to see some more definition. I wouldn't worry about the weight so much as just maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Good luck!
  • TracyGA
    TracyGA Posts: 13
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds from stress when I was going through my divorce about 2 years ago. It was a very unhealthy way to get there, but I found that I felt very comfortable in my own skin at that weight and it was within the healthy weight range for my height. So that is my goal weight but I'll get there through healthy diet and exercise this time!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It was the top of the BMI charts for my height. When I reach it, I might try a little lower, but I was ten pounds over that when I was cycling 30+ miles a day and felt really good, so we'll see.

I can't imagine being at my current height (6' 3") and weighing 148, though. I think that's for people with much smaller frames than mine. I think I'll be happy at 200, and I might try 190, but I'm going to wait and see how I feel at 200-ish.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2". In high school, I weighed, 90-94 (if memory serves). In college, I was as low as 88 at one point (hated the food, decided for two years not to eat meat, sugar, and very little fat). I once went as high as 112, but only because of medication. In recent years, I've been in the low hundreds and high 90s, although I went up to 108 during one holiday season and it took a very long time to get down.

I now have a slower metabolism and am recovering from an injury and can't be active. My goal right now is to maintain, although it's frustrating. When I recover, I'll aim for 100. If I can maintain that, I'll try to go lower, but I don't know if that's realistic. We'll see.

My bf %, per my scale, has ranged from 16 to 23. If I could maintain 18%, I would probably be satisfied.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I came up with a goal weight of 135lbs (I'm 5'5") because when I was last at that weight about 10 years ago, I felt fit and healthy. Depending on the day I'm one or two pounds away from that and I have more fat in my thighs and tummy that I would like to shed, so my new goal weight is 130lbs.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I originally set it at 120, because that is what I was when I got pregnant with my first child (almost 15 years ago). Then, I rest it to 105 after seeing lots of photos here. I need to just scrap that low number because it really is pretty worthless, being skinny doesn't equal being fit. I'm 1-2lbs over the healthy BMI threshold, but I find the BMI thing to be crap as well.

So, I am going to focus on healthy eating, exercise, and getting my BF% down. I began at 36%, am now at 29%, and want to shoot for 18-20%.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I chose mine from the BMI screen. I chose healthy weight