Wine. My love, my kryptonite.

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Traveling this winter I got my first box wines--now that was the kiss of death!!!

I found the opposite - when I open a 750ml, I feel like I "have" to finish it within 2-3 days. With box wine, I can pour a 5oz glass and I know the rest of the box won't go bad in a hurry.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I too love my wine and my husband and I were drinking 1-2 BOTTLES a night. We have cut the drinking out during the week and drink mainly on the weekends. We try to limit to Friday nights and for the most part we're good at it unless we have something going on the other two days of the weekend.

While I do miss relaxing with it at night I really don't miss the weight that I put on from it.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red wine with dinner almost every night.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Make space in your meal plan for it, and make informed choice and tradeoffs. If you have no room for the booze you want to drink, well... exercise more.

I lost all my weight drinking easily 10x the amount of beer that I did when I was heavier. No joke. For me, part of those tradeoffs was having one or two high-quality microbrews, and then switching to something like Sam Adams light. After a few, you really don't taste it, anyway.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I tried to start drinking red wine with dinner once and find that I don't really like it much. Lucky me, I guess.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My kryptonite for sure as well. Anything red and dry is my weakeness:)

One thing I have noticed that has made a tremendous difference is that if I exercise after work, I drink far less. I think its because my body is craving water and food (rightly so). By the time that wine craving starts, its almost 9 (as opposed to 7) and because I go to bed around 10, 10:30 its far less time to keep filling it up!
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My downfall....chocolate wine......sinfull....very sinfull.... :devil:
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    A nice rich full bodied zinfandel for me... I've learned to make that my treat. I have ZERO until Friday OR Saturday night. I Plan ahead with fewer cals and more exercise so I can enjoy all 3 glassed IF I CHOOSE. That's what it comes down to, a choice. Choose the immediate gratification and hate yourself tomorrow or choose the REAL gratification of being AWESOME! Lol good luck!

Try 7 Deadly Zins...if you have not already...you will enjoy it!
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So so happy I'm not alone in this. It has truly been the hardest thing to give up. My weekends are for partying and relaxing with my friends. It's difficult to just have 1 glass of wine when I'm expected to drink more. I need to have more willpower and if my friends try to sabotage me and my positive changes, then I need to steer clear of them. : (

Feel free to add me if you need someone to chat with about booze!! Lol. Maybe we can help each other stay strong.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I save my wine drinking for the weekends. I skip most of my food on Saturday and drink my calories. I usually workout before I start drinking. I've been doing this for over a year and so far so good. I could never give up drinking. What's the point in living a life of misery. I enjoy my weekend wine drinking with my husband.
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks! Pinot Noir for me too. Switch to Pino Grigio in the summer.

Great suggestions in response. Plan to give some a try.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I too love wine. I work part time at a winery as well and we have a lot of tastings as part of work (it's tough, I know) so drinking wine is a large part of my life.

I have largely cut out alcohol during the week and it's been good for my weight loss and my wallet. It was really difficult at first but now I don't really notice. Given: it took me 5 months to get to this point.

Weekends, however, are another story altogether. It ruins my calorie deficit on the weekends, but I'm working on it. All in all, it's totally worth it because wine is one of man's greatest inventions.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    lyong on my sofa conquerd by half bottle of wine...
    no comments
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy any. Then you can't drink any.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us are just as guilty.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Oh St. Michelle...how I love thee...

But I do know you can't visit Monday thru Thursday :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Red wine is one of those beautiful foods that would be harmful (obviously) in excess, but in moderation, has enough health benefits to justify keeping around.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    lyong on my sofa conquerd by half bottle of wine...
    no comments

Winning post
  • losethatshit
    Options
    Go with a white wine, pinot grisio or reisling. It's a little less than 100 calories in a full 6oz glass and low in carbs and almost no sugar. It's probably the most effective lowest calorie approach. I drink a good deal of wine myself and not drinking is honestly not much of an option for a young man in a college town so I think I can relate.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary - I have a separate booze section for just such accountability! I couldn't get by without the odd glass of red, so sometimes I'll log the three glasses I plan to have at dinner at breakfast time, so I don't go over with the rest of my intake, or exercise just that bit more :smile:

This a great idea! I couldn't stick to this diet if I couldn't have a glass of zin at the end of the day. I was adding it to dinner, but I am going to add a booze section!