If you like peanut butter...

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
... then you HAVE to try this recipe! I am absolutely head over heels in love with peanut butter, and I just experimented a little and made some awesome Peanut Butter bars. I would describe them as 75% granola bar, 25% cookie :laugh: (Yes, that's the scientific explanation! :tongue: )

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar (could use 1/2 cup honey, or agave nectar instead of using some honey & some light brown sugar)
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup egg beater (could use 1 real egg instead)
1/2 cup better 'n peanut butter (could use creamy peanut butter instead)
1 tbsp mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional, but only add 18 calories to the ENTIRE recipe)

Preheat over to 350 degrees, and mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Then, spread mixture into a 8"x8" pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for about 20 minutes- until the top just starts to brown. I got 12 servings out of it- cut the final product in half left to right, and then into vertical strips- 6 on the top half and 6 on the bottom half- if that makes sense so that they appear like granola bars. They're about the size of a quaker granola bar. They're AWESOME:love: if I do say so myself! :laugh:

Nutrition info: (of course it would vary if you make any substitutions for ingredients)
Calories- 133
Fat- 2
Carbs- 30
Protein- 4
Sodium- 42
Fiber-3

I just had one for my afternoon snack, but they'd be a really good grab n go breakfast, or good for a child's lunchbox. Give 'em a try! :flowerforyou: I'm in the process of researching some peanut butter protein powder, and once I get it, I'm going to mix it into the recipe and try them that way :wink:

Edit: I have them in the food database, but didn't check the "share with other MFP users" option, and when I go back in to edit them, and make them public, that box that I can check to share them doesn't show up:huh: - anyone know how I can go back in and make them public so that someone else doesn't have to re-enter it? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kayliejo07
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this recipe. I'm headed to the grocery store and I'm going to pick this stuff up. I really need some good grab and go foods! Thanks!:happy:
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I can't wait to try these!! :flowerforyou:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    these sound really good. Can't wait to try them. Thanks. :smile:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    bump ...........anything with peanut butter in it .. i am there lol .......thanks for posting
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm ALWAYS in the kitchen experimenting and trying something new. We have so much food I keep sending it to work w/ my boyfriend because we can't get rid of it fast enough... in my opinion, this is my best recipe yet! Enjoy... and I'll take any feedback (good or bad- I can handle it!) that you have about the recipe! I think it rocks, but if there's a way to make it better, I'll give it a shot!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So for me, that would be a 1596 calorie snack, because if I bake anything, I eat it all up in night. :( I'm going to try them, and just make a smaller batch.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Or freeze them and only take one out to defrost at a time... I don't think they'd taste very good hard as a rock! :laugh:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I <3 peanut butter
    Thank you
  • cmerlin
    Options
    Thanks I try them .....it is so hard when my teenagers are eating their candy bars not to give in and have one...... I have been looking for an alternative I can't wait to make these.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't like sweets :huh: (must be a sickness or something :laugh: ) and he LOVES them because they aren't "too much" in terms of sweetness... I hope you like them :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Just (re)added them to the food data base. They're called: Kelynn's Peanut Butter Bars
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing with regular PB, but this could be really good with my Dark Chocolate Dreams too. Definitely want to try it!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ok, they just came out of the oven. They smell so good. I am not sure how they are going to taste but I will let you know once I try them. I made a couple of substitutions:
    1.5 c rolled oats
    .5 c whole wheat flour
    .5 light brown sugar (did not have honey nor agave nectar)
    2 egg whites
    2 tbsp water (mixture was way too thick so I added another tbsp)
    .5c organic creamy no stir peanut butter.

I used sparkrecipes.com to calculate the recipe. I am planning on cutting it into 12 svgs.

calories 141
    fat 6.1
    sodium 35
    potassium 21
    carbs 19
    fiber 2
    sugar 1
    protein 5

I can't wait to try them!! Thank you for the recipe! Keep them coming!! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Ok, the jury is out...

I am in love with the taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them!!!! I ate one and all the crumbs from the other ones so maybe two. :noway: :laugh: They were a little dry and hard to cut so next time I will try to make them with agave nectar instead of brown sugar. No need to change anything else I think. My husband, unless he lied, liked it and he does not really have a taste for healthy stuff. :laugh:

Thanks again for sharing!! :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Glad you like them, Alf. The honey/agave nectar will probably help with texture. Mine have the consistency of a cookie.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    sounds great! - Bump
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    these sound so good. I asked my 12 year old if she wanted to help me make them but turns out I have the quick oats. :cry: So I will have to wait.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Glad you like them, Alf. The honey/agave nectar will probably help with texture. Mine have the consistency of a cookie.

Mine are soft/chewy in some areas but they are mostly crunchy/crumbly. Maybe I also baked them too long, about 24 mins. But they are still delicious and nutritious...so no problem here. I will definitely make them again and try it with agave nectar. I just did not have enough for this recipe. :flowerforyou:
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump

Sounds super yummy; but then anything with peanut butter works for me!