How to make yourself drink water!

Options
What's the trick to getting yourself to drink enough water during the day? I'm supposed to be drinking at least 8 glasses and I am proud to ever get to 3!

Replies

• phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only drink water these days apart from a cup of tea in the morning, I just trained my self to having water in the day instead of tea.

I always keep bottles of water in the fridge (refilled from tap) and at work I keep a pint glass on my desk so I get through about 2 of those a day and then upto 2 bottles in the evening.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There's not really any trick to it. Eight glasses is not a whole lot. If you slept eight hours a day, for example, you only need to drink a half cup of water each hour you're awake. Additionally, water comes from many sources other than just straight water, so if you're drinking a lot of other fluids, you're still probably having enough.

Edit: fixed to correct the problem cranberrycat noticed :smile:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A Beginner's Guide to Drinking Water

Step 1: Open Mouth
    Step 2: Pour in Water
    Step 3: Swallow
    Step 4: Repeat as Necessary
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I only buy large bottles for water. I keep one on my desk, that's plain water. One is in the office fridge, with 3 teabags; a mixture of green tea and a fruity flavor.

I also keep water at home; near my makeup, my nightstand, and in the kitchen. Once you get used toit, you're thirsty a lot !!!

Do yo like lemonade or sports drink or anything like that ?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    8 cups does not = 8 glsses - heads up

want sexy skin?
    want healthy hair and nails and face?
    want clean smelling sweat?
    want to walk around all the time in your mostly water body with it filled with stale old *kitten* tepid filthy water?
    or replace it like youre supposed to.

Humans only do what they want to do, whether directly or indirectly.

If you want the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, you will follow a healthy lifestyle.

if its too hard to drink a whole cup over water every 2 hours.... then you need to remind yourself why every doctor on earth says you need it.

Or think of all the people dying in the desert asking for arizona tea.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My trick is, I don't obsess over water. I drink water, I drink tea, I drink coffee, diet soda, milk, etc. It all hydrates. No biological reason to drink an arbitrary amount of "just water." It doesn't have any health benefits by itself. I drink when I'm thirsty, I stop when I'm not. That's all you need. Some days I need more fluid than others, so on those days I drink more. It's not really complicated, as much as some people try and complicate it.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Isn't the standard "glass" for these purposes 8 oz? And a cup is 8 oz?
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Krissytee- I hate drinking water for some reason, so I buy zero calorie drink packets and flavor my water. (there are a number of brands now, but I like Propel because it doesn't have any food coloring in it so it won't stain my clothes if I spill it). I find one packet is enough for two glasses of water. I dont' like the packaging waste of packets (as compared to cannisters) but so far Propel powder isn't available in a cannister.

If you don't mind lukewarm water, and have a desk job, get a container that holds, say, 48 ounces of water to keep on your desk so you'll see it all day and realize you need to keep refilling your cup to empty it.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    1-Every time I think about it, I go drink some.

2-I use to not count my tea in the morning, decided screw that. I'm making it and know it's not fake/chemicals. It's a teabag and lots of water.

3-I have some with each snack or meal, even a few sips.

4-Drink a full bottle at the gym. If I can't do that, I'm not working/sweating hard enough.

5-Keep a bottle on me. In car, in bedroom, etc. I see it, I drink some.
  • Nikki_42
    Options
    Oh...forgot...crystal lite. Love that stuff when water gets boring.
  • joypeaceloveall
    Options
    I drink carbonated/sparkling/seltzer/mineral water a lot. Replaced sodas for me.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I just set a glass on my desk in front of me and when it's empty . . . I refill it. that's it.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a trick, but sadly I don't. I am not a drinker of any kind (except wine, hmmm...).

I've been using Mio water enhancer lately. It's okay and usually gets me through a bottle or two a day during work.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i bought 3, 1 liter water bottles... that is how much I am supposed to drink in a day...i just fill them up with filtered water from my sink after i finish them

makes it a lot "smaller" amount if you think of only needing to finish 3 bottles of water rather than 8 or so... plus I add crystal lite to give the water a little flavor on days I am having a hard time getting my full intake..

i usually end up drinking minimum of 3 bottles a day. i try for at least 4!

its just something that you have to make a part of your day like eating clean and working out!

--and you have to be prepared to go to the bathroom...a LOT lol!
  • trackgirl595
    Options
    Crystal Light!
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Always keep a full glass of water (uncovered) on your desk at work! I guarantee you that you'll drink it without realizing it :)
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that's how that works. Whew thanks for clearing that up for me:wink:
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I use a straw in my Nalgene bottle and for some reason it is easier to drink a whole Nalgene through a straw....I can down 3 a day if I use a straw but can barely manage 1 without. I have no idea if that works for other people but it works for me! :)
  • Nikki_42
    Options

Confused. 8 oz. = 1 cup. 1 cup = 1 normal glass size. (not the American 'super size' we're all used too)

How is 8 cups not 8 glasses?
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started marking it on the calendar with tally marks every time I had a cup (8oz), I usually have a big glass that equals out three cups into one. I noticed as I went on marking it I eventually got up to drinking 12 cups of water a day. Drinking a lot of water helps with losing weight by keeping you full.
    If that dont work try drinking Mio or Pure Crystal light.. do one cup water..one cup Mio..one cup water..one cup Mio..one cup water..and so on.