How to make yourself drink water!

Options

Replies

• nay1228
    nay1228 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the more I drink water, the more I enjoy it. I rarely drink anything else now on a daily basis other than almond milk in my breakfast shake.
    Try sipping throughout the day, or add fresh lemon if you truly don't enjoy the taste.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use a straw in my Nalgene bottle and for some reason it is easier to drink a whole Nalgene through a straw....I can down 3 a day if I use a straw but can barely manage 1 without. I have no idea if that works for other people but it works for me! :)

so THAT'S how i get so drunk on the weekends...using a STRAW! lmao ;)
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light or Mio
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I got used to the habit by adding drink packets (the sugarfree packets) when I first started. I would struggle to get up to 8 cups. Over time, and with the help of the packets, I built up to 14+ cups a day. Once I got used to it...I couldn't live without water. I slowly eliminated all but 2 drink packets a day. So currently I drink 5 bottles of pure water and 2 bottles of drink-packet'ed water. I think it is like anything else...you need to make it a habit. Once it becomes a habit...you will crave it, I promise! :drinker:
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a 75cl bottle next to me. I drink without thinking. I don't log it on here as I have absolutely no idea how much I'm drinking, but I know I prob get through a good 2 litres a day from how often I fill up the bottle. If it's there, I drink it. If I don't, I will go "oh I'll get it later" and keep working until I give myself a headache from insufficient water and too much PC work!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just do it! That's all there is to it really. It does help if you keep a water bottle in plain sight as a reminder that you should be drinking water.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    8 cups does not = 8 glsses - heads up
    Isn't the standard "glass" for these purposes 8 oz? And a cup is 8 oz?

most standard kitchen glasses are 12 oz
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    To mix up your water: Add lemon, lime, or whatever berries you like. Also try adding spices like ground cinnamon or ground ginger root. Add ice cubes or drink it room temperature. Add a splash of cranberry juice or another juice you enjoy. Use a straw or drink it straight.

You see a bottle/glass/cup of water, drink. Just train yourself so that it becomes automatic.
    Hope you figure out what you like!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    8 cups does not = 8 glsses - heads up
    Isn't the standard "glass" for these purposes 8 oz? And a cup is 8 oz?

most standard kitchen glasses are 12 oz
    Yeah, but it doesn't matter how big the container is; the usual advice of "eight glasses a day" is referring to eight 8-oz. glasses.
  • CeliCasi
    CeliCasi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A Beginner's Guide to Drinking Water

Step 1: Open Mouth
    Step 2: Pour in Water
    Step 3: Swallow
    Step 4: Repeat as Necessary

LOL
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I LOVE H2O myself but saw this on Pinterest :) Might help out.

146859637818644427_UaPtVlu5_f.jpg
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a 24oz cup of water at my desk -- the plastic kind with the lid and straw built in --

I get bored at work. I drink water. Lots of it. And I think the straw really helps. So far today.... 96oz of water

I now get headaches when I don't drink enough!!!
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to get used to drinking water by forcing yourself to drink it until it becomes a habit and then a ritual. By then it will be second nature.
  • LizaVega77
    LizaVega77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, you will follow a healthy lifestyle.

if its too hard to drink a whole cup over water every 2 hours.... then you need to remind yourself why every doctor on earth says you need it.

Or think of all the people dying in the dessert asking for arizona tea.

It's easier said than done. That's like assuming that the OP doesnt drink water because she doesnt understand the benefits of it. We all know what are good and bad habits. The difficult part is not to try to remind yourself of that. It's to create and continue the habit on a daily basis.

Instead of pointing out how easy it SHOULD be, I think the OP needs some tips on how to achieve this. Like setting up a reminder on your phone every hour, or putting a post-it note on your computer. Or everytime you go to the bathroom, fill out your bottle of water at the fountain.

Positive encouragement!
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I add the juice of a lemon to a big bottle (about 64 oz. / 2 ltr.) of water and keep it in the fridge. Gives it some flavor and vitamin C :drinker:
  • philly_rack
    philly_rack Posts: 33
    Options
    I use my big 64oz water bottle. I fill this in the morning and sometimes squeeze some lemon juice OR honey into it. I drink on that throughout the day. In the beginning to psych myself out i would refill it when it was 1/2 empty and i ended up drinking 1.5 - 2 bottles of water. Also if i think about eating i drink a glass of water and i always have water before i eat ANYTHING. Hope this helps
  • yoovie
    Options
    seriously, I was just trying to save her a little trouble since not everyone has the same size kitchen glasses. If she has 12 or 16 oz glasses like almost everyone I know- then I was simply going to tell her that she needs only 4 of those.

geezus. Are yall seriously coming down on me about what is the correct standard drinking glass now?

This website has its panties in a knot over all the wrong stuff.

Correcting people on the internet over trivial bullsht wont help you get fit faster.

You want to be healthy? Drink all the ounces you are supposed to, regardless of how many ounces fits in your particular kitchen glass.
  • yoovie
    Options
    If you want the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, you will follow a healthy lifestyle.

if its too hard to drink a whole cup over water every 2 hours.... then you need to remind yourself why every doctor on earth says you need it.

Or think of all the people dying in the dessert asking for arizona tea.

It's easier said than done. That's like assuming that the OP doesnt drink water because she doesnt understand the benefits of it. We all know what are good and bad habits. The difficult part is not to try to remind yourself of that. It's to create and continue the habit on a daily basis.

Instead of pointing out how easy it SHOULD be, I think the OP needs some tips on how to achieve this. Like setting up a reminder on your phone every hour, or putting a post-it note on your computer. Or everytime you go to the bathroom, fill out your bottle of water at the fountain.

Positive encouragement!

I didnt say it should be easy- I said to remind herself of why she is doing it, including reasons of vanity. like extra healthy skin and hair.

POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I use a straw in my Nalgene bottle and for some reason it is easier to drink a whole Nalgene through a straw....I can down 3 a day if I use a straw but can barely manage 1 without. I have no idea if that works for other people but it works for me! :)

so THAT'S how i get so drunk on the weekends...using a STRAW! lmao ;)

hahahahha the straw will get you every time!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    seriously, I was just trying to save her a little trouble since not everyone has the same size kitchen glasses. If she has 12 or 16 oz glasses like almost everyone I know- then I was simply going to tell her that she needs only 4 of those.

geezus. Are yall seriously coming down on me about what is the correct standard drinking glass now?

This website has its panties in a knot over all the wrong stuff.

Correcting people on the internet over trivial bullsht wont help you get fit faster.

You want to be healthy? Drink all the ounces you are supposed to, regardless of how many ounces fits in your particular kitchen glass.
    Hey, no one is criticizing or attacking you. I was honestly wondering why you'd said that they're not the same. I don't happen to own any glasses, so I have no clue how large they are. Seriously, relax.