Is PB2 Healthy ?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Had mine arrive the other day, but given it's low calorie count and powdered state, I am wondering how natural it is and how healthy it is ?
    Considering the healthy part of peanut butter is the fat, and PB2 removes the fat, I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Decent sub if you want peanut butter flavor, but for health benefits, full fat peanut butter is MUCH healthier.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds tasty... I hope the sell it in Canada....

They don't. I order on amazon.com though.

Save some money and get it here instead:

http://www6.netrition.com/bell_plantation_pb2.html
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've thought of buying some to try it, but not sure about it yet. Has anyone had it with yogurt? I'm wondering about making yogurt smoothies with it--peanut butter/banana. Might be weird?

I've done exactly this. Love it. (I was inspired by my love of peanut butter and banana sandwiches.)
  • butilovechocolate
    Options
    It's super natural if you think about it...it's pure peanuts with all the oils pressed out, with just a little sugar and salt added. Healthy tends to be an undefinable term...it does have a low calorie count and offers benefits of natural nut butters.
  • kimmyl69
    kimmyl69 Posts: 14
    Options
    It's an amazing product!!! Love it in protein shakes!!! I mix 1 1/2 tbs PB2 and 1 1/2 Tbs fat free/sugar free butterscotch pudding mix powder in my vanilla protein hake and it tastes exactly like a butterfinger....DELISH!!!!

I get my PB2 at vitacost.com
  • redsgirl77
    redsgirl77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding it to vanilla greek yogurt to make peanut butter yogurt, which tastes great.

I've been using pb2 for awhile in my protein shakes and love it! I am so gonna try with greek yogurt! thanks for the idea =)
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about PB2 until the other day. I hate regular peanut butter but like peanut butter flavored foods so I wonder if I'd like this stuff. I'm adding it to my list of things to try.
  • micheledemetroff
    micheledemetroff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds tasty... I hope the sell it in Canada....

They do sell it in canada, on a website called low carb canada. This is a website that has a variety of things that healthy eaters may like...it's based out of Toronto, Ontario. That's where I get it.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the responses and ideas everyone.
    I got the chocolate one, but it doesn't seem to taste of chocolate at all, so not sure if that is how it is meant to be or if I got the ordinary put in the wrong packaging, lol.

Shall definitely try dipping fruit in it.
    Only negative I suppose is the small amount of sugar and that it costs me a fortune to order it for the Uk.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    PB2 rocks!!! The chocolate (I agree) is not super chocolate-y but it's ok. I gave up peanut butter for the longest time (NO I do not wish to hear about good fats, because I was not going to consume 180-200+ calories in 1 tiny spoon just to get the good fat) anyhow ... once I found PB2 I was able to enjoy peanut butter again. I love it on celery, in plain greek yogurt, smoothies, bread/toast, apples, plain rice cakes, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No added sugar and it is peanuts with the fat pressed out...therefor turning it into a powder..that's my understanding of it...I love the stuff...and I definitely don't think its UN-healthy!

It DOES have added sugar unfortunately but it is only 5 grams and otherwise, for someone that would want peanut butter anyways, it is very healthy and a good bang for your buck and calorie.
    So it has none of the healthy fats of regular peanut butter, and it actually has MORE sugar than regular peanut butter? I'll stick to regular peanut butter.
  • beth_jones
    beth_jones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes every day. It's great, but I wish they had a version without added sugar or salt.
  • beth_jones
    beth_jones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tbsp of Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa in my protein shakes with PB2. It only adds 10 calories, .5g fat, and no sugar. It may actually be good for you also: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20110323/cocoa-rich-in-health-benefits
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's processed so it must be bad, right?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The taste reminds me of the peanut butter in Reese's Cups ... haven't had one of those in ages.
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    Love it! Get my PB fix without the extra fat and calories! I know the real stuff has good fat and all, but those calories and fat grams add up quickly!

I eat it everyday! Love it in my greek yogurt! Also tasty in oatmeal... Great in smoothies and shakes... I even made a Thai style peanut sauce with it once! Very tasty, and it was way lower in calories/fat than if I had used the real deal...

It's not exactly a superfood or anything, lol, but I'd still say its pretty good stuff!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I must admit, it really is filling when added to a portion of Fage greek yoghurt with some mixed seeds thrown in. It feels like I am eating 500 calories, not 160 or so. It is crazy.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't fear calories or fat, everything in moderation. I eat normal peanut butter everyday.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You know, that stuff is delicious, however, it really bloats my stomach, painfully. I don't know why :(