Why are there Dunkin Donuts in my house?!

Options
mayerel
mayerel Posts: 254 Member
Just curious if anyone else has this issue- I have to watch everything I eat and am still working on making some changes (I'm only a week in...) but my hubs can eat ANYTHING and not gain an ounce! Sweets, sugar, chocolate, all those yummy awful things are my achilles. So while I go grocery shopping and do most of the cooking, he'll still bring in snacks and junk food. Drives. Me. Nuts.

I'm still learning dicipline to not eat the junk, but it's hard when he's so clueless!!

Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Options
    If it is all possible to hide the junk food your hubby brings in do it. Not to hide it from him, but to keep it out of your sight. You won't crave it so much if it's not right in front of you, taunting you.
    You might also try a "come to Jesus" conversation with your hubby about being more supportive. And how being supportive doesn't mean giving up the foods he wants, just not flaunting it.
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts too because my wife is always bringing some kind of sweets home. Just because you changed your lifestyle doesn't mean that everyone else has to, at least that's what I believe in my situation.
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem quite often. It feels like sabotage to me, so I told him to STOP! He still eats bacon and ice cream pretty regularly, but at least he isnt bringing in 3 bags of cakes, cookies, and candies from the dollar store anymore!!!
  • quink77
    quink77 Posts: 91
    Options
    I felt this way on Sunday. I had a gathering to celebrate my son's First Communion. My ex came with a plate of cookies, a case of Mt Dew and a case of Yeungling. And then left them all here when he went home. :grumble:
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    i suggest you kick him in the nuts for not supporting you.....jus sayin:blushing:
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Why? Because they are better than Krispy Kreme :wink: :laugh:

They are my downfall too....love Dunkin'. Best thing - I don't live in the right part of the country any more or I would likely not be on this site!

Have him hide them until they are stale?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    whatever bad food I get tempted with that my bf wants he has to hide it.
    Thats the only way I wont eat it.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I blow it when I'm at my BFs house too... He likes sweets and pizza and can eat them like there's no tomorrow, and he doesn't like to eat alone...

So I've been trying to save calories during the week when I know I'm going over there.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone else has this issue- I have to watch everything I eat and am still working on making some changes (I'm only a week in...) but my hubs can eat ANYTHING and not gain an ounce! Sweets, sugar, chocolate, all those yummy awful things are my achilles. So while I go grocery shopping and do most of the cooking, he'll still bring in snacks and junk food. Drives. Me. Nuts.

I'm still learning dicipline to not eat the junk, but it's hard when he's so clueless!!

Anyone have any tips?

Yep, mine is the same way. I try to ignore what he eats altogether. I had to learn that he needs all those calories he consumes. I eat dinner before he even gets home because he eats dinner twice anyway. That way I can do something else while he's eating what I left him and then looking for more food to eat after that.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you ask him to not bring them home anymore or anything unhealthy for that matter. Explain to him that it is a struggle to eat healthy to begin with and you havent quite mastered self control in all situations. The other thing you might want to mention is just because he does not gain wait eating crap food, does not mean he is doing terrible things to his body. You can't see clogged arteries! Just my two cents. Ask for the support, I am sure he will understand and be helpful.

- JoAnna
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Just say no, and walk away or distract yourself. The craving will go away in a matter of minutes. When you consistently say no, then it'll be a habit and you'll be able to look at pastries, snacks, and cake without even thinking about wanting it!

Although your husband may eat and eat without seemingly getting fat, he might contain a lot of the fat in his organs. For example, my friend who is really skinny and my other friend who was average weight took a fat percentage test. My skinny friend was 25% body fat while the average weight one was 19%.
  • mayerel
    Options
    i suggest you kick him in the nuts for not supporting you.....jus sayin:blushing:

So should this be option one or two? :laugh:

Hiding is a good idea, maybe a draw or cabinet that's just his and I just don't go into...with a lock...and an electric current...and a guard dog.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I try to just give things a really big sniff and then walk away. Just remember that the donut is in your mouth for like 20 seconds, the calories are forever.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    YOU are the one making the change, not him. He shouldn't have to give up his favorites just because of your decision. You need to work together on this and that means give and take. It can not be all about you and your changes... he needs to be happy too.
  • mayerel
    Options
    Although your husband may eat and eat without seemingly getting fat, he might contain a lot of the fat in his organs. For example, my friend who is really skinny and my other friend who was average weight took a fat percentage test. My skinny friend was 25% body fat while the average weight one was 19%.

I wish...he's been to the doc and had every test possible because I told him he was eating so bad. Body fat, cholesterol, blood pressure, everything normal. :ohwell:
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just ask him to hide it so you won't be tempted by the junk food.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Let me guess - he's under 35? It will catch up. In the meanwhile, do what you need to do to stay strong. Even if it's throwing them all in the trash.

On the other hand, I have a friend who's a donut addict. He lost weight by throwing away 3/4 of every donut he touches. I don't know how many of us could do that, but it's a thought.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have to exercise control daily. I have an 11 year old boy...as much as he will eat what I eat for the most part...I won't deny him of snacks and goodies that I am no longer eating. Now, mind you, I am not saying I let him go hog wild or anything..LOL I just will have some cookies or donuts or ice cream in the house for an occasional treat. When my boyfriend is over, same thing...they have "their snacks" and I have mine :)

Oh, it takes some MAJOR self control, but I handle it :)
  • mayerel
    Options
    Let me guess - he's under 35?

He'll be 35 this year!

And just to be clear, I'm not asking him to change his habits, at all! I don't really care what he eats, it's just compromising so it's not in the house- or it's hidden. And the pizza in the fridge doesn't tempt me AT ALL, it's just the sweets!!
  • SCH67
    SCH67 Posts: 21
    Options
    I really feel for you because my husband use to do that and I had a very difficult time not eating what he brought home. For me, it was over 20 years of that and I never lost weight. However, It took me to one day realize that only I was responsible for what I ate and I couldn't blame him. However, I still think you need to really let him know that you need his support with your eating habits and that means you can't have that type of food around, especially right now at your starting point. Maybe he could only bring in enough for himself, for that night. Or, maybe he could put it somewhere that you don't look, so out of sight, out of mind may be easier for you. Tell him it's just until you feel you have more control. I hope he understands because support from your husband is huge.