7pm rule

Options
will I gain weight if I eat after 7?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals within the day does not impact weight loss (as long as you are staying within your goal)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    7pm what day?
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you eat a single second after the clock strikes seven, everything you eat will become a cancerous mass on your thighs and belly.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's a myth. Meal timing doesn't really matter much. In fact, you could eat the majority of your calories after 7 pm if you wanted and still lose weight if you were in a deficit.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    was this a joke?
  • Izzyd1979
    Izzyd1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The actual hour of the day doesn`t matter... but most wouldn`t recommend eating within 3 hours of bedtime, or restricting it to a small snack. Just so you don`t eat a big meal then go to sleep - it messes some with your metabolism. That being said some people can eat whenever as long as not over their daily calorie goal, others seem more sensitive and have to be careful about stuff like that!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    No. I eat after 7pm everyday and am losing weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I eat 85% of my calories after 11pm. As you can see, it hasn't hindered my weight loss. It helped, as i can eat what i want, when i want, as long as i keep my calorie deficit and hit my macros.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner after 7pm almost every night.

So, no.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have din-din at 9pm and always a midnight snack....nope doesnt matter
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you will. its true. Every time you eat you gain weight. The time does not matter. Try this experiment.

weigh yourself. Now weigh your meal. Add. That will be your new weight.
  • kbutlerrvt
    kbutlerrvt Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes. If you eat a single second after the clock strikes seven, everything you eat will become a cancerous mass on your thighs and belly.

Hahahahahaha. LOVE THIS!
  • tckldpink
    tckldpink Posts: 1
    Options
    I could't follow this rule if I wanted...I am an RN that works overnights. My shift starts at 7pm! Can't go 12 hours without eating. I just make sure to watch my numbers.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You shouldn't eat within 3 hours of bed time. This is so that your food is digested before you lie down. Thus the recommendation of not eating after 7pm if your normal bedtime is 7pm.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I actually have noticed that if I eat a BIG meal late in the evening, I don't sleep as well and I generally retain more water. Yes, it is water, so I am not really gaining....but I just plain don't feel too hot when I eat late....

I personally don't believe the theory of "eat after a certain time and you will gain" though. Just does not make sense - calories are calories, they don't grow as the day progresses :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat within 3 hours of bed time. This is so that your food is digested before you lie down. Thus the recommendation of not eating after 7pm if your normal bedtime is 7pm.

Another MYTH.

If you are under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight even if you eat all of them 1 hour before bed...

There may be other advantages to eating at certain periods of time, but they are certainly not metabolic advantages. They are merely personal preference. For me, I don't like eating right before bed because it keeps me awake longer. It doesn't make me fat, but I sleep better if my stomach isn't full.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    No it does not..it's a myth actually..depending on what you are eating? if its fruit or a yogurt it won't do any harm..
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options

Another MYTH.

If you are under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight even if you eat all of them 1 hour before bed...

There may be other advantages to eating at certain periods of time, but they are certainly not metabolic advantages. They are merely personal preference. For me, I don't like eating right before bed because it keeps me awake longer. It doesn't make me fat, but I sleep better if my stomach isn't full.

Talk to me about myths after you have to have surgery to repair damage from eating and lying down right after!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Only if you have acid reflux. Otherwise I would go to bed hungry and probably die in my sleep. Or wake up totally pissy.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    will I gain weight if I eat after 7?
    Only on leap years and the second Thursday of the month. You can mitigate this by sleeping with one egg worth of egg whites under your pillow.