Spagetti Squash?

Options

Replies

• EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this. What's the process from squash to 'pasta'? Do you need a pasta maker?
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Its a bit grainer--no no noodle slurping
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    not my favorite, you so need to try the shirataki noodles, I HATED them at first...someone posted on here about washing them, drying them real good and then dry frying them really good, they are GREAT! I added an entire 8oz package (40 calories) to a 280 calorie smart one...and then added extra broccoli and had a HUGE plate of creamy chicken broccoli riggatoni for only 470 calories it was AWESOME!! trust me I am picky! I could barely eat it all!! wish I could post pics just havent figured it out yet!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love it! I would recommend it to anyone! It's definitely not like pasta, but I think people say it is because it's just as good.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love it too! You are not gonna "think" it's pasta but it is a great substitute. You can twirl it on your fork and suck it like a noodle.....but does it taste like a noodle? No! But is it delicious? Yes! Try it you will like it! :happy:
  • emmlovesyewx3
    Options
    i want to try itttt!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this. What's the process from squash to 'pasta'? Do you need a pasta maker?

The squash itself becomes stringy/noodley inside once it's cooked. I cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and bake for 45 min at 375 degrees. Once it's done I scoop out the insides with a rubber spatula and scoop it into a bowl. Then i separate the strings into a nice pile of noodles using a fork. Pour sauce and chicken on top - voila!
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    all you need to do is cut it in half and bake in the oven with a little olive oil and garlic...once it's baked you just take a fork and scrape the inside out,...it comes out like noodles...tasty!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash should be baked whole for at least an hour, around 375 degrees F. We poke it with a large fork before baking, but do not cut in half. Once cooked, it will be softer, and MUCH easier to cut. Cut in half and then remove seeds, being careful not to remove too much of the flesh with the seeds. Using a fork, scrape the flesh making spaghetti strings. Top with anything or nothing!

We like ours with Prego spaghetti sauce, and we add italian sausage. It is delicious, we'll probably never go back to regular ol' pasta.
  • Meeperslove
    Meeperslove Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can also cook it in the microwave.. I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds, put it in a big bowl with a 1/2 cup of water and microwave for 14 minutes
  • silmeria2
    silmeria2 Posts: 13
    Options

I cut it i half and bake it at 375 F on a greased, foil covered baking sheet until a fork easily goes into rind. Then you just use a fork to shred the "meat" of the squash. It just comes out in strings.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am completely intrigued and can't wait to try this.
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday's even has it on their menu! I love it with some garlic and Mrs. Dash! I just made it with sause a coupla days ago. Now I want more:huh:
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    also the shirataki noodles come in different varieties linguini, angel hair ect and it is deff slup and wrap on fork very noodley....make sure you dry it real well and then dry fry it...you will not be dissapointed!!:wink:
  • tania689
    tania689 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    that's amazing me and a girl from work were discussing this today. I am planning on making it this weekend so i'll post again soon
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash!! Not the same as pasta--but, it is chewier and it tastes yum good with a low cal sauce. It is a little pricey tho.

Must be because of where you live...

Here it is never higher than .89 cents per pound And I prefer to purchase 10lbs worth at a time.
  • ranger195
    ranger195 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok someone asked that I come back and let everyone know what we thought.

First off was cost, at $7.46 for one good sized squash we were a little taken back but did it anyways. This was Cub foods in MN. We will look for another store that has them cheaper in the future.

Cooking was easy enough; cut in half took out seeds and cooked for 45 min. at 375. It forked out real easy. Tasted it before putting marinara sauce on and thought ohhh great, squash taste, under cooked hash brown texture, this is going to be BAD. What the heck, we fixed it were going to continue and see if it makes a difference with the sauce and meat. My plate- 1 cup of squash, ½ cup of 90/10 ground sirloin, ½ cup of hunts 4 cheese pasta sauce. Mixed it all up good, commented to my wife, {it looks like spaghetti}. First bite: hum, must be a mistake, try another, HUMMMM I kept saying it after each bite. I couldn’t believe it; it was actually pretty darn good. Was it pasta, NO, the texture is not the same. But I will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone in the future. After the sauce and ground meat is added it is a close to spaghetti with A LOT less calories. Now I’m going to be looking for other ideas we can use it in for the future.

For me to say I could eat it without a sauce, aint happening! We will see what else we can come up with to disguise its taste with. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It's definitely NOT the noodle you love, but it is delicious. You will notice a difference, but honestly I don't miss pasta.
    It's easy to work with, wind on a fork, and tastes good. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters, right?

if you're looking for a lasagna noodle alternative, try using zucchini on a mandolin slice. Hubby loves it!