What is the best book you have ever read about nutrition?

Options

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some good books listed in this thread.

Some others you might want to check out to add to your breadth of knowledge.

"The Perfect Health Diet", "Wheat Belly" and "The Paleo Solution".
  • aleishaz
    aleishaz Posts: 1
    Options
    I love dr. andrew weil's 8 weeks to optimum health, it is a bit more holistic than some others as it takes a mind/body/spirit approach. it was written about 1996 and since then, some of the stuff he talks about being difficult to find, like edamame and quinoa, are so easy that it is easier than ever to follow!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    "Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle" by Tom Venuto.

Bought this ebook a few weeks ago and feel like my physique is about to go through a major overhaul in the next few months.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The Anabolic Diet by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale.

You may not agree with his methods but the research and information itself in the book is rather interesting. At the very least it's informative.

Other than that I like Dr. John Berardi's website, Precision Nutrition.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love dr. andrew weil's 8 weeks to optimum health, it is a bit more holistic than some others as it takes a mind/body/spirit approach. it was written about 1996 and since then, some of the stuff he talks about being difficult to find, like edamame and quinoa, are so easy that it is easier than ever to follow!

I love mind, body, spirit approach!
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options
    I cannot BELIEVE Michael Pollan wasn't mentioned on here!! "An Omnivore's Dilemma" is entertaining and has good info. "In Defense of Food" by Mr. Pollan is also fantastic. If you want straight up info, Marion Nestle's "What to Eat" is WONDERFUL (it is a TOME. I read it in chunks). Eye-opening info on the food industry also by Ms. Nestle is "Food Politics." A fun food read is "The Sex Life of Food" by, I s*** you not, Betty Crumpacker. A newish foodie book is Tamar Adler's "An Everlasting Meal." If you want to know WHAT your food is doing when you cook it (casein, lipids and temperature, oh my!) "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" by Harold McGee is essential.

So uh, I like to read and I like food, in case you were wondering....
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The Food Bible by Judith Wills. A great all round health book and mt go to book for any nutrition questions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Food-Bible-Ultimate-Reference/dp/1903845467
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I cannot BELIEVE Michael Pollan wasn't mentioned on here!! "An Omnivore's Dilemma" is entertaining and has good info. "In Defense of Food" by Mr. Pollan is also fantastic. If you want straight up info, Marion Nestle's "What to Eat" is WONDERFUL (it is a TOME. I read it in chunks). Eye-opening info on the food industry also by Ms. Nestle is "Food Politics." A fun food read is "The Sex Life of Food" by, I s*** you not, Betty Crumpacker. A newish foodie book is Tamar Adler's "An Everlasting Meal." If you want to know WHAT your food is doing when you cook it (casein, lipids and temperature, oh my!) "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" by Harold McGee is essential.

So uh, I like to read and I like food, in case you were wondering....

Yup, anything by Michael Pollan - I have "In defense of food" and it is very thought provoking about what we eat and why -particular for those of us living in affluent western countries.
    An oldie, but goodie (I don't agree with every single thing she says, but I like the general idea) is "Changing habits, changing lives" by Cyndi O'Meara.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    The Beck Diet Solution. So helpful!
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't know how accurate it is, but Skinny B*itch is a good read and pretty entertaining :]
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Syndrome X - by Jack Challem, Burton and Smith - following their anti healing diet for insulin resistance/diabetes 2 can use i too
    feel great
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Another voice for Michael Pollan...Food Rules is really short and puts all his ideas in one place, though they can be reduced into his most famous line: "Eat food. Mostly vegetables. Not too much."
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    LEAN REVOLUTION by Leslie Kenton - an oldie but a goodie.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am new to this, and I started my nutrition studies with cancer recovery specifically in mind, so my favorite nutrition book is Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life, by David Servan-Schreiber. It isn't JUST about nutrition, but it covers a lot of information on nutrition as it relates to cancer prevention and cancer recovery!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food - hands down the most common-sense nutrition guide I've ever read. It mocks the scaremongering and warns against the dangers of nutritional bandwagoning. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Ftw.

For detailed nutritional and metabolic discussion, I think Lyle McDonald can't be beat. His books are pricey but his website is packed with free articles.

Also, not a book, but a big shout out to Steve Troutman whose article "Eat" (http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/) is far and away the best guide to nutrition for the layman.
  • Glenbaggerly
    Options
    Author is Arnold Ehret, the title is The Mucusless Diet Healing System. All other books
    are just diets , this is how the human body is supposed to it and it will give you a wake
    up call.
  • Glenbaggerly
    Options
    That should have read , this is how the human body should eat, now and forever.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think this is a book from, like, 1989 so it may be slightly out of date. Possibly also too specific for your needs. But there is a book I have called Competing with the Sylph by L.M. Vincent and the chapter on water and salt (which talks about sodium and potassium and how that chemistry works in your body) is really important information.

Edited to add - It's written for ballet dancers. But I think that chapter is important for anyone.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    These books are more specific to those with high blood pressure, but is a well-rounded diet for anyone really.

The DASH Diet for Hypertension

The DASH Diet Action Plan

**DASH = Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension

I found these books to be very informational when my husband was diagnosed with pre-hypertension at age 33.