Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSkDgtyrxZQwTkGkjNlt9HTevsf0BJLLAHxvgTV43TeDdXIl8l
  • hhowey
    hhowey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in watching another vid on this topic check out "Fat Head", they have it on Netflix instant play...
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense but if you can't make it a lifestyle you will just gain the weight back. Just take a look at some of the low carb proponents that are still overweight after years of low carbing.
    Its okay to cut out the refined carbs and lower carbs if it allows you to comply with diet and get to goal. But the more I read threads on MFP I realise that those that portion control and allow foods that they like in diet the greater likelihood that they maintain their weight loss.

Low carb sounds very attractive because you are told that as long as you keep it low carb you can eat as much fat and meat as you like. Weight gain is not your fault its the carbs!! You don't own that you are overweight because YOU over-ate.

Of course it's a lifestyle change. If you quit any diet, and go back to your old eating habits, you're going to gain the weight back. Obviously. I think the biggest obstacle for any low-carber, is to find ways to have variation in their meals, and to find substitutes for the things that used to be comfort foods for them. For me, it's chocolate anything and salty/crunchy stuff. I've solved the problem of the sweets--lots of options. And for the salty, I've discovered cocoa-coated almonds and pork rinds.

If you don't experiment and find lots of different, easy meals, I think you'll get bored and quit. I've been going strong for over a year now at about 20 net carbs a day.

And, as to your last thought, you don't TEND to over-eat on a low carb diet, because protein and fat satiate you.

That's the point - low carb is hard to do as a lifestyle. I know of all the lowcarb snack options etc. It eventually gets old.
    Its easier to portion control and eat foods you like.

True enough but some of us really like meat, eggs, cheese, etc. When my wife gets home from work early enough to cook dinner she will throw in a nice low carb veggie like broccoli or fix a salad to go with whatever meat she had to work with but tonight she had to work late so I did poached eggs and ham and I am happy as a clam. I am a diabetic whose pancreas basically blew up three years ago so my viewpoint is undoubtedly different than that of most folks. I don't miss the carbs because for me...they are not my friends.
  • raystark
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSkDgtyrxZQwTkGkjNlt9HTevsf0BJLLAHxvgTV43TeDdXIl8l

heh...
  • raystark
    Options
    <snip>
    Once you get used to it, it gets easier, but at first many people are overwhelmed and have no idea what they can or should be eating. I'm a lifelong low carber now, and think it's easy.

Yup. I hit the meat, dairy and produce aisles and then I'm up at the register.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets may have a negative impact on the thyroid so something to consider.

Based on what research?

Can you provide a link please?

Sorry that is rediculous - Ive been following a low-carb intake now for almost a year and my thyroid has been tested three times - and each time it has been within normal limits...

Youre gonna need to put up a credible link to prove this because my Endocrinologist could prove you wrong with or without that link.

Just do a search. There has been quite a lot of discussion in low carb community re this topic. Also I wrote - MAY have a negative impact - not definitive.
    When they tested your thyroid did they look at T3 as well as reverse T3 levels?

I should hope so considering I know how to read lab reports considering I work in the medical field with the same Endocrinologist that treats me - who treats other patients....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense but if you can't make it a lifestyle you will just gain the weight back. Just take a look at some of the low carb proponents that are still overweight after years of low carbing.
    Its okay to cut out the refined carbs and lower carbs if it allows you to comply with diet and get to goal. But the more I read threads on MFP I realise that those that portion control and allow foods that they like in diet the greater likelihood that they maintain their weight loss.

Low carb sounds very attractive because you are told that as long as you keep it low carb you can eat as much fat and meat as you like. Weight gain is not your fault its the carbs!! You don't own that you are overweight because YOU over-ate.

Of course it's a lifestyle change. If you quit any diet, and go back to your old eating habits, you're going to gain the weight back. Obviously. I think the biggest obstacle for any low-carber, is to find ways to have variation in their meals, and to find substitutes for the things that used to be comfort foods for them. For me, it's chocolate anything and salty/crunchy stuff. I've solved the problem of the sweets--lots of options. And for the salty, I've discovered cocoa-coated almonds and pork rinds.

If you don't experiment and find lots of different, easy meals, I think you'll get bored and quit. I've been going strong for over a year now at about 20 net carbs a day.

And, as to your last thought, you don't TEND to over-eat on a low carb diet, because protein and fat satiate you.

That's the point - low carb is hard to do as a lifestyle. I know of all the lowcarb snack options etc. It eventually gets old.
    Its easier to portion control and eat foods you like.

Its not hard to do as a lifestyle at all. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no corn, no flour, only consuming fresh foods... this is very easy to do considering to eat anything that is bread/pasta/rice/corn/flour puts me in the hospital due to Insulin Shock....

There are patients in our clinic who are following a low-carb intake. They are advised to eat only natural foods, no prepackaged garbage, they are all given a calculated caloric intake and a break-down of what to focus on, and even advised to use MFP as well for tracking because of the fact we can print reports. The staff I work with are all following a low-carb intake as well under the advisement of the physicians we actually work WITH.

This low carb style is no different than South Beach, Dr. Atkins, Low-Fat diet, Low-Sugar intake: it requires a commitment by the person to make the necessary changes based on their current health situation.

Sorry but I feel you are only representing yourself when you regard a low-carb intake as 'hard to do' - it has been extremely easy and I havent had any more insulin-shock issues since doing this the RIGHT way.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also I wrote - MAY have a negative impact - not definitive.

just wild speculation then.

Motive ?
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets may have a negative impact on the thyroid so something to consider.

Based on what research?

Can you provide a link please?

Sorry that is rediculous - Ive been following a low-carb intake now for almost a year and my thyroid has been tested three times - and each time it has been within normal limits...

Youre gonna need to put up a credible link to prove this because my Endocrinologist could prove you wrong with or without that link.

I actually did read that recently (in the past week), but I'll have to track down my source (I think it was either from the Perfect Health Diet website or book, which *does* advocate a primal/paleo WOE). But cramernh, at 100g of carbs a day, you'll be fine. It's when a person consumes VLC/no-carb, and again, it's possible, but not necessarily always going to happen.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There is no metabolic advantage to doing a low-carb and/or ketogenic diet for fat loss.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    There is no metabolic advantage to doing a low-carb and/or ketogenic diet for fat loss.

Does that also mean there is no disadvantage? And to turn it, no advantage to doing a strictly lower calorie diet?
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does low-carb make people high-crabby? Just seems like the low carbers here are a little bit touchy :happy: :tongue:
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I've been here a week and every time I see this thread (because it happens daily, and sometimes multiple times a day) it always degenerates into a bunch of children squabbling over whose diet is better.

Every single person is different, and every single person's body is different, and every single person's optimal diet is different.

I didn't get fat from eating poorly; I got fat from spending two years on heavy levels of steroids. I stayed fat because when you can barely walk, you're sure as hell not taking care of yourself. I became a slave to "easy" processed foods. I'd buy everything low fat and watch my calories like a hawk, and it did nothing to affect my weight positively.

So, with a doctors advice, I am eating low carb. My digestive system is already happier, my energy levels are WAY up (because my body is learning a new way to use fuel, and this way happens to be what is obviously best for my body), my mood is drastically improved, and I'm actually excited about the things I get to eat and experiment with. Just like any dietary change, there will always be a risk for hormonal complications - insulin, thyroid leves, triglycerides, cholesterol, all of these things should be regularly checked, because you shouldn't be making drastic changes to your diet or exercise without a doctor's supervision in case something happens.

Is low carb for everyone? No, probably not. But it IS for me, and MY diet is MY business. I'm not sure why every 6 hours we all feel the need to bully one another over our different lifestyles. Aren't we all here to make friends and find support as we change our lives for the better? Let's focus more on each other, and less on each other's foods. :)
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Does low-carb make people high-crabby? Just seems like the low carbers here are a little bit touchy :happy: :tongue:

How is it the low carbers being crabby when it's the other people who come in with all their crap all the time about how you need carbs, last time I checked low wasn't zero. Why the heck is it so important to them when people eat low carb. I don't go pointing out every diary where someone eats a snickers, or drinks a redbull, or any of those things, it's not my business. If it works for them FANTASTIC! I have not ever told any person they shouldn't eat a lower calorie diet. I don't see other low carbers that do that either. But when someone says they are staying under their calories and are not losing and you look at their diary and they are consuming 500 g of carbs, 25 g of protein and 15 g of fat, you tell them to up their protein, lower the carbs, cut out the sugar and other processed junk, no one ever says CUT OUT YOUR VEGGIES!
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hear hear sunshinedazed!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've been here a week and every time I see this thread (because it happens daily, and sometimes multiple times a day) it always degenerates into a bunch of children squabbling over whose diet is better.

Every single person is different, and every single person's body is different, and every single person's optimal diet is different.

I didn't get fat from eating poorly; I got fat from spending two years on heavy levels of steroids. I stayed fat because when you can barely walk, you're sure as hell not taking care of yourself. I became a slave to "easy" processed foods. I'd buy everything low fat and watch my calories like a hawk, and it did nothing to affect my weight positively.

So, with a doctors advice, I am eating low carb. My digestive system is already happier, my energy levels are WAY up (because my body is learning a new way to use fuel, and this way happens to be what is obviously best for my body), my mood is drastically improved, and I'm actually excited about the things I get to eat and experiment with. Just like any dietary change, there will always be a risk for hormonal complications - insulin, thyroid leves, triglycerides, cholesterol, all of these things should be regularly checked, because you shouldn't be making drastic changes to your diet or exercise without a doctor's supervision in case something happens.

Is low carb for everyone? No, probably not. But it IS for me, and MY diet is MY business. I'm not sure why every 6 hours we all feel the need to bully one another over our different lifestyles. Aren't we all here to make friends and find support as we change our lives for the better? Let's focus more on each other, and less on each other's foods. :)

I like you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Does that also mean there is no disadvantage? And to turn it, no advantage to doing a strictly lower calorie diet?

There's no disadvantage. There's nothing wrong with doing a low-carb and/or ketogenic diet. It's a great way to release some extra water, but for fat loss the differences between doing low-carb and just doing a normal calorie deficit diet are minimal.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options

I like you.

Aww, shucks. :D
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options

How is it the low carbers being crabby when it's the other people who come in with all their crap all the time about how you need carbs, last time I checked low wasn't zero. Why the heck is it so important to them when people eat low carb. I don't go pointing out every diary where someone eats a snickers, or drinks a redbull, or any of those things, it's not my business. If it works for them FANTASTIC! I have not ever told any person they shouldn't eat a lower calorie diet. I don't see other low carbers that do that either. But when someone says they are staying under their calories and are not losing and you look at their diary and they are consuming 500 g of carbs, 25 g of protein and 15 g of fat, you tell them to up their protein, lower the carbs, cut out the sugar and other processed junk, no one ever says CUT OUT YOUR VEGGIES!

Case in point.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fat, but there's also nothing wrong with carbs. For the last 20 years we were told how fat is horribly unhealthy for you. Now we're being told it's carbs. Carbs are an essential macro nutrient that provide you with easy-to-access energy. Yes, diet foods and processed foods are heavy in carbohydrates. But whoever said these were the healthy choices?