Protein Shakes

Options
shay0119
shay0119 Posts: 32 Member
I want to start taking protein shakes for at least a breakfast meal replacement. Does anyone know of any good protein shakes that I possibly could try??? There are so many out there I'm just curious about what some of you guys are taking..:smooched:

Replies

• Yasmeen174
    Yasmeen174 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I usually take a Herbalife or Slimfast shake as a MEAL replacement. I have noticed, however they don't seem to have much protein. I prefer to have a low calorie/carb meal and then add a protein shake (apex whey protein) if I am going to the gym or workout....When I was purchasing my Apex Whey shake mix I did notice that they have Meal Replacements as well, check out the protein content in those if you would like. Also, the Apex Protein taste great with Soy Milk. :smile: I hope this helps..
  • adedawson
    adedawson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't replace any meal with a shake. They should be used as supplements, to supplement a healthy diet. Your never going to get the same nutritional profile from a shake then eating a varied diet.

That said, if I'm in a rush or don't have time with work etc, I'll take a shake. You shouldn't be planning to take them though.

Anyone who tells you otherwise has been spoon fed marketing rubbish or trying to sell you something.
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    I have just started taking shakes. But as aforementioned I drink them as a supplement. Or when I am busy in the morning on occasion but I add things to it..
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I like dymatize swiss chocolate...i blend with a teaspoon of Peanut butter and 1% milk and ice to make it like a frozen drink.

edit- oh and i drink it after a work out to replace the calories usually
  • MegMilleratc
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake in addition to my breakfast. It sounds strange but stay with me for a second, I do 4oz of chicken (I prepare it for a week and add chicken to breakfast and lunch), lately I have been doing sliced turkey though. Anyway so I do meat, a yogurt usually and then a protein shake. I eat a higher calorie breakfast because I usually run in the mornings and I feel like if I don't have the extra breakfast calories I am starving by lunch. It's been working for me, I've dropped more fat than weight but I feel so much stronger with the added protein.
    Hope this helps.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The EAS Advantage shakes are good. Only 100 calories, low in sugar and tons of protein packed into the package. It is very filling for a snack but I would need more for breakfast.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    consider the source of the protein in the shake.

research that, and see if you really still want to partake.

there are several vegan rice and etc. protein shakes out there, but, um, when you look into how and where they get the protein from in non-vegan shakes...ew.

i am not a vegan, btw.
  • jmbreister
    jmbreister Posts: 13
    Options
    I am so excited to share my awesome healthy secret! I drink this EVERY day for breakfast. I was so disappointed with Slimfast and how unhealthy they actually are. EAS Advant Edge Carb Control Shakes are the One! Only 100 calories, 2.5 g fat, 340 mg sodium, 3 g carbs, and a whopping 17 g protein. They actually taste pretty darn good too. Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry options. I buy them at Walmart for under $5/4 pack.
  • alars09
    alars09 Posts: 27
    Options
    I do have to disagree with this. Even Dr. Oz recommends starting your day with a shake vs a meal. The body by vi shakes are VERY good for you, and full of protein. Def something you might want to to look into!! You of course still do healthy snacks, and 1-2 well balanced meals a day. Visalus shakes are 2pts for the powder (weight watchers) and 4pts with skim milk. Also, the visalus products are in myfitnesspal. Might be something to consider.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I use Labrada Lean Body for Her as snacks sometimes or if I miss breakfast. They are 190 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 30 grams of protein. They also taste great !
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't replace any meal with a shake. They should be used as supplements, to supplement a healthy diet. Your never going to get the same nutritional profile from a shake then eating a varied diet.

That said, if I'm in a rush or don't have time with work etc, I'll take a shake. You shouldn't be planning to take them though.

Anyone who tells you otherwise has been spoon fed marketing rubbish or trying to sell you something.

I eat 6 - 8 meals a day...and yes...one of them sometimes 2 are PT shakes...
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I want to start taking protein shakes for at least a breakfast meal replacement. Does anyone know of any good protein shakes that I possibly could try??? There are so many out there I'm just curious about what some of you guys are taking..:smooched:

Here is my breakfast meal replacement!

1 Cup of Water
    1/2 Cup of Raw Oats
    1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese 2%
    2 Tble Spoons of PB Natural
    1 Scoop of your favorite Chocolate Protein "I use Pro 24 Bodytech"
    3-5 Ice cubs and blend

If you want a natural one

1 Cup of Hood Chocolate Low Cal Milk
    1/2 Cup of Raw Oats
    1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese 2%
    2 Tble Spoons of PB Natural
    3-5 Ice cubs and blend

This one is fruit based one:

4 - 6 Oz of Water
    1/2 Cup of Frozen dole Fruit mix
    1/4 Cup of Frozen Blueberries
    1/2 Cup of your favorite Greek Yogurt
    1 Scoop of a Vanilla Protein or Strawberry Protein
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do have to disagree with this. Even Dr. Oz recommends starting your day with a shake vs a meal. The body by vi shakes are VERY good for you, and full of protein. Def something you might want to to look into!! You of course still do healthy snacks, and 1-2 well balanced meals a day. Visalus shakes are 2pts for the powder (weight watchers) and 4pts with skim milk. Also, the visalus products are in myfitnesspal. Might be something to consider.
    Dr. Oz' advice doesn't always seem particularly solid, so I'm going to have to vote against replacing food with a shake just because he said to. I only drink a shake if I need it to hit my protein macros for the day.
  • Craigggggggggg
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. I have no complaints with it, and every flavor I have tried so far is delicious with some milk.
  • sandrasjourney
    sandrasjourney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use New Lifestyle shakes.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Dr. Oz' advice doesn't always seem particularly solid, so I'm going to have to vote against replacing food with a shake just because he said to. I only drink a shake if I need it to hit my protein macros for the day.

Not everyone eat the same amount of meals...if one meal is carb based and the other is protein based...to each his/her own.

I do not see anything wrong with people drinking a PT shake for Breakfast...have a banana or some other fruit a couple hours later and then having a PT for lunch..then a light salad a few hours later...and a healthy dinner and something else later

Spreading out your food is what I do...I eat every 1.5 to 3 hours...so I am not your traditional 3 meals a day kinda guy. For some people their snack is a meal count.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just picked up some Premier Nutrition ready-to-drink protein shakes. 160 calories, 3 grams fat, 6 carbs (3 fiber), and 30 grams of protein. They are quite tasty too. You can get a pack of 18 for about $25 at Costco.

I drink them post workout though; not as a "meal replacement".
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'll take the left over mornings and make ice cubes for a morning shake using Vanilla protien, unsweetend Silk Almond mild (35 cals), a little sweetener and cocoa.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

This is nonsense! What does it matter if the macro make up of the shake is the same?

I often times have a shake for breakfast. It looks something like:

1 cup 2% Milk
    2 Scoops Vanilla Whey Protein
    1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    1 Sliced Apple w/ skin
    1 Tsp Cinnamon
  • dispy83
    dispy83 Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink a protein shake as my breakfast on days that I am doing a lot of my strength training. I try to have it within a half hour of returning home from the gym. I load it with extra fruit goodness so to me it actually feels like a "meal" and keeps me full for around 5-6 hours. This is the recipe I use:

100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich chocolate (1 scoop)
    1/2 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of organic, low-fat vanilla yogurt
    1 cup of sliced strawberry halves
    1/2 cup of blueberries
    1/2 medium banana

It can come out kinda thick, but you can always throw some ice cubes in there to reduce that. It also comes out to around 390 calories depending on the yogurt, but it works fine for me with my workout/calorie balance. You may have to tweak it depending on what your goal is.

It's pretty delicious and hope it helps! : )