Replies

• jennifox63
    jennifox63 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aliciam318
    aliciam318 Posts: 5
    Options
    I could have written this post! I got to my goal weight drinking wine along the way (specifically Pinot Noir!). Could I have achieved my goal sooner without the wine? Probably. For me to do this as a "changing eating habits forever" thing and not a "diet" I had to keep my wine in the mix. I normally log what I drink but from time to time I do go over and don't sweat it.

I love my wine too. I intend to cut back but I cant seem to do it. I excercize more to compensate and the results are much slower but I am not resentful. I had talked to a woman who said she only drinks on the weekends so she doesn't add too many calories. I figure if I want to up my weight loss I will try holding off for the weekends only.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not alone! All this talk about wine makes me want to open a bottle now! lol
  • Pururin
    Pururin Posts: 16
    Options
    Mmmmm, wine. I love wine. I haven't bought any in a while because a few weeks ago my fiance and I drank three bottles in two days. Oops. But it was soooo good! I have some wine coolers in the fridge, but I don't like them as much and they last a lot longer. I'll have one with dinner here and there.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a beautiful cellar. I invested ina good quality wine preserver. I pour my one glass, log it, and seal the bottle 'til the next day. :drinker:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    OMG I love me some wine! I recently lost 70lbs (with NO alcohol of any kind!) then I went back to drinking and even though I work out m-f and burn roughly 500 calories each workout I was STILL gaining weight! UGH! So as of yesterday I am completely giving up drinking for an entire month. I gained back about 10lbs and I know it's from the wine. Now I want to lose about 13lbs so I can get to my goal weight of 125lbs.

Good luck!
  • Circle12
    Circle12 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm on board with this too....ah, the wicked pinot lol. I am sure to add amt of calories / glasses I am allowing myself as "add on calories or snacks. Because I work during the week I do this towards late afternoon before I go home. This lets me see what I have left for dinner time (calories) if I do indeed have wine. If I'm planning a heavier dinner I either back off on the wine or I exercise when I get home (I walk every am before work). Takes alot of discipline but it's so worth it on weigh in day :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm superman, of course, but pinot noir is really my downfall. I'll stay within my calorie goals for the day and exercise as usual, but 7pm rolls around and I crack the bottle. I end up drinking way more than I should because I tell myself it's ok because I've lost like 8lbs and I'm watching my food intake. Lo and Behold - 3 weeks later I've gained 5lbs back.

UGH.

I need more accountability, so I've come to bare my soul to all of you :)

I feel ya, to counteract this I get the small bottle wines, you know the little four pack that sutter home or barefoot makes, I hate drinking wine the next day so I always felt I didn't want to waste it and would easily just drink the whole bottle. They are still good and 2 bottles usually does me good.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary - I have a separate booze section for just such accountability! I couldn't get by without the odd glass of red, so sometimes I'll log the three glasses I plan to have at dinner at breakfast time, so I don't go over with the rest of my intake, or exercise just that bit more :smile:

This is an AWESOME idea. I am totally stealing this and making a separate booze section on both mine and my husbands diary. :smile:
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    I do the same. When I open my diary in the morning I put my wine in there first. Then I can plan the rest of the day.Works for me. BTW I lost 40 ounds last year doing the same thing-so it does work.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It is tough and there is room in a healthy meal plan for wine in moderation. I used to have a glass every night but have cut back to just a couple classes on weekends if I feel like it. When you drink it becomes really critical to be aware of what you eat and to not let those lowered inhibitions and stimulated appetite turn from just a glass or two of wine into a glass or two of wine and a full extra meal for the day. :smile:
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    This post makes me want to ditch work and run home to the box of pinot grig in my fridge.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary - I have a separate booze section for just such accountability! I couldn't get by without the odd glass of red, so sometimes I'll log the three glasses I plan to have at dinner at breakfast time, so I don't go over with the rest of my intake, or exercise just that bit more :smile:

Yikes! This was such a great idea that I thought I'd do it. I edited all of my wine entries for the past week and all I can say is-Yikes! Thanks for the great idea...I hope i like it!
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Yikes! This was such a great idea that I thought I'd do it. I edited all of my wine entries for the past week and all I can say is-Yikes! Thanks for the great idea...I hope i like it!

I did the same thing! Great suggestion!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I've lured so many people to the booze-section dark side! I've been slack with my red wine macros, will have to correct that during the latter part of the week.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW you love wine and want some every night, why don't you save yourself enough calories at the end of the day for a glass?

The key to this whole thing is building a lifestyle. And NO lifestyle is going to stick if you are cutting out things you truely enjoy, so make room for them!

^^ This!! This is spot-on, and in my opinion its why things like lo-carb diets and such don't work in the long-run. There is absolutely no need to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy - you just do so in moderation and plan for it. If you want a glass of pinot in the evening - then have it, but make sure you're leaving the calories to so!
  • Triciad25
    Triciad25 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been buying wine that comes in smaller bottles....I know Barefoot makes single serving wine (ok, not the best wine in the world but it's tasty) and some other wineries make sample bottles that are half the size of a regular wine bottle. This works for me because I have a hard time not pouring myself another glass once that bottle is uncorked. :-)
  • trcy71
    trcy71 Posts: 1
    Options
    In the book the 4 hour body its says its Ok to have a glass of Red wine before bed.
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW you love wine and want some every night, why don't you save yourself enough calories at the end of the day for a glass?

The key to this whole thing is building a lifestyle. And NO lifestyle is going to stick if you are cutting out things you truely enjoy, so make room for them!

^^ This!! This is spot-on, and in my opinion its why things like lo-carb diets and such don't work in the long-run. There is absolutely no need to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy - you just do so in moderation and plan for it. If you want a glass of pinot in the evening - then have it, but make sure you're leaving the calories to so!

So true So true!!! I love the thinking here... always in moderation.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It is tough and there is room in a healthy meal plan for wine in moderation. I used to have a glass every night but have cut back to just a couple classes on weekends if I feel like it. When you drink it becomes really critical to be aware of what you eat and to not let those lowered inhibitions and stimulated appetite turn from just a glass or two of wine into a glass or two of wine and a full extra meal for the day. :smile:

AMEN. The wine calories are bad enough; the snacking that goes along with it are even worse. That's what kills my calorie plan for the day. The plan goes out the window after I get home.