Trader Joes OR Whole Foods Market?

Options

Replies

• echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    Trader Joes is better for price, but there are a few items that only whole foods carries that I like. I just hate that 5 items can add up to $35 sometimes at whole foods.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No kidding. The closest Whole Foods to me has a horrible parking lot that I really don't feel like dealing with. And the nearest Trader Joe's is a bit of a drive since they closed the one closest to me. So I end up shopping at neither, even though I'd like to. Might have to take a trip to explore though.
    We don't have a Trader Joes here, we have Sprouts, Central Market, and Whole Foods that fall into the Whole Foods category. I LOVE Whole Foods, but usually it is out of my price range. So Sprouts is my normal shopping HQ they are less expensive have amazing produce and an intimate setting almost like a farmer's market indoors. :love:

All these "other" stores I don't have here in Mass! lol Figures...
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    TJ's for me. Whole Foods took over a chain called Wild Oats in my area and I just stopped going. The produce was terrible and the prices skyrocketed. TJ's always has great new things to try. My one caution with TJ's food is the sodium content, especially with frozen meals...even frozen vegetables sometimes. That may not be a concern for everyone, but I'm trying very hard to watch my sodium intake.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I do not have to choose. They are basically across the street from one another! I usually go to both on shopping trips.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think they are both totally different actually.
    Trader Joe's has more of their own name brand stuff, is a lot cheaper, and is great for certain things.
    Whole Foods is more like a real grocery store, I love their salad bar and their fresh deli, produce, and pet foods are better.

All things considered though I highly prefer Trader Joes :happy: ---> this I do not agree with.

I pretty much agree except I prefer the grocery store feel and salad bar so much at Whole Foods... maybe I just hate Trader Joes because it is always stupid busy and they dont have very much fresh foods... it seems to be composed of a bunch of premade fancy crap. I love whole foods because they have fresh produce and meat and tons of things that they make in house!!

I choose Whole Foods anyday!!!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    TJ's for me. Whole Foods took over a chain called Wild Oats in my area and I just stopped going. The produce was terrible and the prices skyrocketed. TJ's always has great new things to try. My one caution with TJ's food is the sodium content, especially with frozen meals...even frozen vegetables sometimes. That may not be a concern for everyone, but I'm trying very hard to watch my sodium intake.

Was this in Lexington, KY...?
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I went to a Trader Joe's in Las Vegas for the first time this past weekend... I wasn't all that impressed. I would rather shop at the Sunflower Market for most things and go to Whole Foods for whatever I can't get from Sunflower. Though, I don't know how far spread Sunflower is, so that might just be a local-ish thing around here.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It depends what I am shopping for. Package food items and meat department I prefer Wholefoods. They have good prices and selection. Produce, I prefer my local store Mustard Seed. Believe it or not Earthfare, at least in my area is too pricey compared to the 2 I mentioned, unless they have some great 3 day coupon. I am not sure why there is so much hype around Earthfare.
    Trade Joes, I go for the wine!
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Whole Paycheck
  • ddalpho
    ddalpho Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods side by side and I've only gone to Trader Joe's twice since they opened but I do make a weekly trip to Whole Foods Market to pick up the stuff my regular grocery store doesn't carry. I am not that impressed with Trader Joe's seclections, but then again...I am a marketing sucker and Whole Foods sure knows how to market...lol
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Both. And they are both opening a store here this summer (Knoxville, TN) - for which, I am very thankful. I love the prices and the variety of products at Trader Joes and you really can't beat their cheese section - a lot of high end cheeses for a fraction of the cost at any other grocery store.

Whole Foods, Earth Fare and the like are overpriced but you can find good deals there on occasion. They also tend to carry more difficult items to find (i.e. fresh figs) at the larger grocers.

Knoxville must be a prime grocery store market because they are also opening a couple of Publix - I am anxious to compare them to Kroger. Its been a very long time since I have been in a Publix.

Now, if they would just get a Harris Teeter I would be in foodie heaven
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes, there is one within walking distance which is great, I walked there yesterday , ended up buying way too much then had to walk home with all of it. My arms hurt by the time i got home but i figure extra calorie burn right ? lol
    I love whole foods also but it is way more expensive and i find I get overwhelmed because there is such a huge selection
  • jet221
    jet221 Posts: 70
    Options
    TRADER JOES all the way!!!
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like them both. TJ's has better prices, Whole Foods is pretty pricey - but their selection is good, especially for certified organic products, which I'm trying to buy more of. I've recently discovered Mom's Organic Market. I like to classify Mom's as WF without the pretension. :) I believe they're only in MD and NoVA though. :/
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer when Grocery Shopping?!

Really depends what I'm buying. If I want fresh fish then I'm sure to go to Wholefood because all the seafood at Joes is frozen. The only thing I go to Joes for is their turkey breasts, and steaks.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's! They have a larger variety of "unusual" food choices. I mean, where else can you get Rosemary Fruit and Nuts for a salad? I love TJ's because it has expanded my culinary pallete where Whole Foods and my large grocer has not. Its a total win-win!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about anything Trader Joe's carries, and that store is always a nightmare to shop at.

Whole foods is a lovely shopping experience, and some of the items are reasonably priced or even a bargain, but because of the Whole Paycheck stigma I'm always nervous that I'm going to spend a fortune there.

My neighborhood has a lot of great grocery options, but no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods so I only find myself in those stores maybe once a year anyway.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes, there is one within walking distance which is great, I walked there yesterday , ended up buying way too much then had to walk home with all of it. My arms hurt by the time i got home but i figure extra calorie burn right ? lol
    I love whole foods also but it is way more expensive and i find I get overwhelmed because there is such a huge selection

Oh, I've made that mistake MANY times since I usually just walk to the grocery store. I have to be really strategic about what I buy so I don't overdo it.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Both. Trader Joe's has lower prices, and I shop there most often. But I will sometimes go to WF for their meats, coffee & tea, and gluten-free items.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Neither! Wegman's all the way! Better prices, lots of organic/vegan/vegetarian/pre-made/super healthy options... I'm obsessed!