Fight with personal trainer at the gym

Options

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    What gym is that? I'll hire him and actually pay the $40 a session fee

So you'd waste money on a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about?

There is no reason why he had her doing only light weight high reps and cardio. She asked for compound lifts and he not only refused by made a sexist comment that those weren't lifts for women.
    It's my preference, and you have yours. TYVM Ma'am
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Ok so this morning I got into this huge fight with my personal trainer. Im not new to lozing weight or fitness. I had always been active. I eat well for the most part. 3 yrs ago I was 16% BF. Well with my marriave ending, start of career and making sure my family/kids adjusted well I stopped taking care of me. Put on about 40 lbs and went up to 35% BF. Now everything is settled and back to working on me. Did a month of straight cardio to build up my endurance and decided to start lifting again. I have always been a big believer in lift heavy. Work on large muscle groups. More lean muscle mass, more fat burning. I love free weights but being gone so long wanted a trainer to verify form and just to have a spotter as well. I interviewed several at my gym. Found one that seemed at the time to have the same beliefs. I was sooo excited. Score. Had my first workout and was like yes. Every workout since has been low weight (for me) high reps like 15-20. He wanted to do arms. I questioned him about back and chest. Large muscles. He said your a girl. What does that have to do with anything. So we did arms high reps. Then another work out mostly hiit cardio with stairs. I reiterated that Im there to lift, not do stairs or cardio. I didnt drive all that way for that. Then this morning the same crap. I asked him if I was a man would he work me different. Well yeah. We would do free weights. I asked if he heard of NROLFW. Of course but you need this cardio and machines. Besides you dont want to bulk. Are you serious. I than said I want to do squats and deadlifts today. Again I got your a girl and would do better on the machines. Needless to say he is fired and I had a long talk with the general manager of the gym.
    Then you would love me. It's all about the heavy weight lifting baby!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i am a trainer and i would have fired that trianer :( the unfortunate fact of the industry is that ANYONE can get certified and be a trainer...doesn't mean they know what they are doing....good for you! i'm sure you will find what you need to motivate you and get you to your goal!
    best wishes to you on your journey :)
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I do a powerbarz class with a female trainer she is awesome she has us using 10 to 20 lb weights for our triceps and does a lot of back and chest exercises with a bar that weighs 13 lbs alone and you add the weights to it She is awesome and very motivating Keep working it girl way to go
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Your trainer should definitely listen to your goals and desire to lift heavy!! Good job for standing up for yourself! :) Now time to find a new person to get your lift on!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That's insane. What an eejit. I'd be demanding my money back!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    First session was great. We were doing 215 lb leg presses and crap. I was stoked cuz I didnt think I could still lift that much. Than 1 week crap. Talked to him about it then. Figured I would give it another go hoping he heard my concerns.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nicely done. I would consider this a NSV for you. You used your knowledge to hire a trainer who was full of crap.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer. Find a female trainer that has similar goals. I think male trainers for the most part are going to go easy on you, or they are going to try to shape you into what he thinks is the ideal body for a woman. I had a female trainer once and she was AMAZING!!!! She pushed me, and we did a lot of weight lifting - the kind you are talking about wanting!! I never bulked up.... I only got strong and toned and lost weight.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer. Find a female trainer that has similar goals. I think male trainers for the most part are going to go easy on you, or they are going to try to shape you into what he thinks is the ideal body for a woman. I had a female trainer once and she was AMAZING!!!! She pushed me, and we did a lot of weight lifting - the kind you are talking about wanting!! I never bulked up.... I only got strong and toned and lost weight.

Not all male trainers would have this attitude.... I shouldn't stereotype. I did work with a dude a couple of times when my trainer was out and he was really good. Still prefer the girls though.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Tell him "Compound lifts or GTFO of here!"
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow... He is so professional. I would love to have a trainer like him. ( dripping sarcasm) Honestly I would laugh at him and would not pay him a penny more. If he's working for the gym , ask for your money back. Screw that jerk .
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

There is no reason why he had her doing only light weight high reps and cardio. She asked for compound lifts and he not only refused by made a sexist comment that those weren't lifts for women.

your preference is for trainers who dont listen to their clients desires? weird!
  • tobnrn
    Options
    Just got the call from the new trainer. He sounds good so far. I will find out more tomorrow.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    didnt read the whole thread. but to the OP.

that sucks eh!
    and there are SO many trainers just like them in gyms worldwide it seems...

are there any gyms in your area that are strength focussed?

good luck with the new trainer!!! and be very firm with hat direction you want to take, you are the customer after all.
    compounds compounds compounds!
  • auntiemare
    auntiemare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is a shame. You were right to end your sessions. I am a group ex instructor and a personal trainer. I could not imagine arguing with my clients on that level. We are there to help you achieve your goals safely.

I see you are in the phoenix area. I do know a wonderful trainer in that area if you are still looking.
  • tobnrn
    Options
    The new guy sounds really good. He typically only works with those that do competitions. He is 9 weeks into his training for his next competition. He is all about fitness and food. Wants to see what I eat. Thank god for mfp. No problem there. Glad I got the massage therapist on speed dial. Might b needing her.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

your preference is for trainers who dont listen to their clients desires? weird!

Her preference is for trolling. She's just not very good at it.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

<3
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Ha! Isn't that the truth!