Hey Ladies: Make-up??

Options
124»

Replies

• sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    NYX makes some affordable cosmetics and you can buy it at ulta or some CVS, rite aid type stores. i feel you get what you pay for sometimes. not always. but usually. i do alot of research on certain products i want to buy before i buy them.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am an award-winning make up artist on the weekends...be careful of inexpensive drug store lipsticks, and also pricey ones, too.

We basically EAT over 80% of what we paint our lips with, and many low cost options use lead, aluminum, other carcinogens, and if not vegan, crushed bugs for color, especially in reds, my favorite and signature shade.

Save your hard earned cash on everything else, but save your life by going with vegan and or all natural lipsticks.

Lime Crime, Tarte, Fresh, Korres, Bite (Bite is certified food grade)...just a few of the better for you options, there, and not so pricey when considering the cost of your kisser.

Look for low-priced higher quality items weekly in the Sale section on Sephora.com, I get many awesome deals for my make-up kit on there, most things for $10 and under...and also sometimes at Ulta.com.

Best, my pretties...<3

- Lava =^x^=
  • pashun_phlower
    pashun_phlower Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My skin is super sensitive. I love philosophy and bare minerals.
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Avon and Mary Kay.
  • katjo10
    katjo10 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVE make-up and have an extensive background in this field. When you go to any of the department stores at the mall, most all make-up counters will give you "free" samples of make-up and skin care. Usually they hand out fairly good size samples that last quit awhile. Estee', Lancome, Clinique are great counters to get some great samples. Also, the best place to find "name brand" make-up & skin care is online. You can usually find a sale and always search for promo code or coupon that will give you additional amount off and free shipping. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I looove makeup!

I buy both cheap and department store (sephora) stuff.

Skincare:

When it comes to my skin I don't skimp. I use the Mary Kay Timewise set and it's really improved my skin. (Not Affiliated or anything like that. I just like it!)

Foundation: I love the Clinique tinted moisturizers and under-eye concealer. MAC skin finish products (you can not go wrong with those) for the days where heavier coverage is needed.

Eyes:

Mostly cheap brands:

www.eyeslipsface.com has great mineral shadows.

www.costalscents.com has great eyeshadow palettes.

Maybelline quads. I looove the Maybelline liquid eyeliner and the gel liner. I can't live without it. I also have the Physicians Formula (for brown eyes) pencil liner and quad. It's great.

Too Faced has some great smaller "get the look" sets. I find you really can't go wrong with a palette. You get so many great styles from it.

Mascara I'm pretty picky on. I'm currently using covergirl falsies.

Cheeks:

again coastal scents has a great blush palette. Eyeslipsface has nice mineral blush and a great NARS bronzer/sculptor duplicate without the price.

Lips:

Revlon Lipbutters. I want them all!
    Mary Kay lipliners, glosses, and creme lipsticks.
    I also have a bunch of Maybelline, and Covergirl and a few clinique and loreal. They all are fairly similiar.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Original Noxzema + Thayer's Witch Hazel & Lavender toner for my seriously sensitive skin
    Avon Satin Satisfaction lip color is the BEST for moisturizing. I also use their Smooth Minerals foundation, Super Shock mascara, and a bunch of other stuff (I have a bit of an Avon problem)
    Loreal Magic Perfecting Base is a great primer
    Revlon ColorStay (the kind with the lipstain + gloss) is the only red lipstick I'll wear. It stays all day long.
  • Mirdir
    Mirdir Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of a make-up snob so I buy mostly mid-high end. (MAC, Urban Decay, and Nars are my favorites :3 Don't have a lot of money but I save up for something I really want and do a lot of research before purchases.) There are a few drugstore products I absolutely love though:

Maybelline 24/ 7 concealer
    Coty Powder (does have a weird fragrance but it doesn't last long on me)
    L'oreal color riche balms
    Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser - Good face cleanser and makes a really good shave cream substitute for sensitive skin.

I wish I was one of those girls that could go without makeup but I have really bad discoloration from pretty severe acne during my teens Dx
  • katjo10
    katjo10 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am an award-winning make up artist on the weekends...be careful of inexpensive drug store lipsticks, and also pricey ones, too.

We basically EAT over 80% of what we paint our lips with, and many low cost options use lead, aluminum, other carcinogens, and if not vegan, crushed bugs for color, especially in reds, my favorite and signature shade.

Save your hard earned cash on everything else, but save your life by going with vegan and or all natural lipsticks.

Lime Crime, Tarte, Fresh, Korres, Bite (Bite is certified food grade)...just a few of the better for you options, there, and not so pricey when considering the cost of your kisser.

Look for low-priced higher quality items weekly in the Sale section on Sephora.com, I get many awesome deals for my make-up kit on there, most things for $10 and under...and also sometimes at Ulta.com.

Best, my pretties...<3

- Lava =^x^=

This gal knows what she is talking about!!!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options

Best, my pretties...<3

- Lava =^x^=

This gal knows what she is talking about!!!

Lava is a beauty saint.
    Personally I use Tarte lip colors :)
    I'm no help on the cheap stuff though. I got frustrated with my makeup selection around tax return time, tossed it all, and spent about $400 at Ulta for an awesome set that's lasted me a while now.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I got into makeup a few years ago when an artist at a makeup counter taught me.

I :heart: Bobbi Brown makeup, I have about 10 brushes and the foundation, face cream, cream blush gel liner glosses etc.

But my favourite drugstore brand is Bourjois, its French and just as good as department stores, unfortunately it isn't designed for brown or black people, so I only have a few of their darker coloured products.

but I am trying to phase out my expensive face care products with drugstore versions I plan on using:

Cetaphil cleanser
    pink and green Maybelline mascara
    Neutrogena sunscreen and night cream (Anti wrinkle with retinol)

this way I can spend the money on my luxury Bobbi Brown treats and Im saving for a Clarisonic face cleanser
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    If you have an Ulta, you have some options. (I used to work at a makeup store.)

1. Pencil Eyeliner: nothing is better than Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil. They're $16ish each and worth every penny
    2. Foundation: Bareminerals or the Ulta brand version of BareMinerals
    3. Mascaras: Smashbox makes some good ones, but I think Loreal is just as good, especially the false fiber lash ones
    4. Eyeshadows: Gotta echo all the kudos for the Coastal Scents palettes. Tons of pigment and you order them online instead of buying them in the store
    5. Pigments: NYX, available at Ulta
    6. Liquid eyeliner: Wet N' Wild is the best I've found.
    7. Nail polish: Again, even my OPI isn't as good as my Wet N' Wild polishes
    8. Makeup remover: you can make your own out of olive oil and plain aloe vera juice. Works great, great for your skin.
    9. Lipstick: the gold standard for long-wearing is Stila. The gold standard for drugstore long-wearing is Revlon.
    10. Concealer: I've tried every drugstore concealer on the market, and I gave up. Benefit Boing or Dermablend work really well. I've heard Bobbi Brown's is the best, but it's even spendier.

Happy shopping!
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've tried cheap grocery store makeup and VERY Expensive department store makeup. For me the main difference is the price. So NOT worth the department store prices. From the grocery store, I prefer Loreal foundations and their DoubleExtend mascara - best mascara I have EVER worn. I also like their lipsticks. For a little bit of glossy glitter, I like Cover Girl Wetslicks.

By the cheap stuff and experiment. If you don't like it, toss it and try something else. Hard to do that with the expensive stuff.

Have fun.