Cutting out grains is KILLING me ;(

Options
13»

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    if you cut out the bread and all gluten completely, the cravings will go away, I promise! Then you can carb cycle with starches, like sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice, bananas, etc. I have been gluten free for 4 months now, and I don't have any cravings anymore. I used to make all my own bread and eat a lot of pasta and I stopped missing that stuff after the first two weeks.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    At the end of the day its about what works for you... if we ALL just actively work to improve ourselves mentally, phycally, spritually etc then we can't ever go wrong. What's right for one isnt right for all. I have plenty of friends who can eat ANYTHING and never gain weight! It's infuriating. Unfortunately, thats not me.

So, really, we are al here to support each other and know what, I have all yr backs!
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think this thread should be locked...it's about to turn into another low carb/paleo throwdown...to the original poster, I agree with who said if you can't live your whole life without it, don't cut it out, just moderate and eat a balanced diet.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you, but I'm not going to try the dinosaur poop diet.

long as it's wrapped in bacon ... I'm in.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    A dissenting opinion with peer reviewed and empirical citations:

http://www.laststopfatloss.com/why-grains-and-gluten-arent-bad-for-you
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Feel free to add me and like my site which might give you some idea on weight loss or e-mail me :)

Free workouts:
    www.myomytv.com
    www.bodyrocktv.com

Free easy/healthy recipes:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've learned over time, and through a good friend who points it out to me often, that you shouldn't have to completely give something up to lose weight. Moderation, finding healthier alternatives (wheat for white, etc) might be better for the long-run!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    then don't cut out grains.

*shrug*
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I tried carb cycling before and cutting out grains, basically eating "paleo?" I guess u would call it.. and it's killing me today.. my choice of bread is always whole wheat or eziekel brand.. and i feel like crap today.. i get tons of carbs from veggies, and hit at least 100g protein with chicken, turkey... protein powder after a run.. but it's so hard to cut out the bread lol.

has anyone felt like this? how about i try carb cycling, would that help as in... the days i do workout - allow myself one slice of bread a day and days i dont workout - no bread/grains..

for those who do carb cycling or low carb to lose body fat or break through a plateau.. what is your meal plan like and what has worked for u?

If it makes you feel like crap, why do it? are you going to do it long-term?
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tried carb cycling before and cutting out grains, basically eating "paleo?" I guess u would call it.. and it's killing me today.. my choice of bread is always whole wheat or eziekel brand.. and i feel like crap today.. i get tons of carbs from veggies, and hit at least 100g protein with chicken, turkey... protein powder after a run.. but it's so hard to cut out the bread lol.

has anyone felt like this? how about i try carb cycling, would that help as in... the days i do workout - allow myself one slice of bread a day and days i dont workout - no bread/grains..

for those who do carb cycling or low carb to lose body fat or break through a plateau.. what is your meal plan like and what has worked for u?

In the morning: 4 Pork Sausage links and coffee
    Lunch: Salmon/Tuna fish cakes covered with a cheese based sauce.
    Dinner: chicken and gravy or a steak
    Snacks: Cheese sticks, cottage cheese, almonds, whey protein shakes.

When starting a low carb diet your body will go through a period of withdrawl. It passes in about a week. Bacon is your friend.

I have heard conflicting ideals on bacon and weighloss..some say to completely avoid it while others say that 2 slices a day helped them lose..??
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    if its killing you then you are not going to be able to keep it up indefinitely.. so why not try something that you can maintain instead of something that is "killing you"
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb - If I can't live without it forever, then I am not going to give it up.

I've gone up and down on the scale from 125 to 205 over the last 15 years that I couldn't even tell you how many different size clothes are in my closet. Granted there was a baby in that time frame, but still. My committment to myself, with MFP & all my friend's help on here, is to make a lifestyle change. I want to change my habits and adopt a healthy, balanced lifestyle that will allow me to maintain a healthy weight going forward.

I know this probably doesn't help you with your current predicament, but I wish you the best of luck!
    I love what she said here! What are your goals with this? It might be better to incorporate the grains into your diet and just keep a small deficit because if you are having such a hard time with it now, then it really isn't something you can keep up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In fact here are a few to get you started... a quick search on PubMed (the national medical publication database) popped up 19000 hits for research papers linking refined carbohydrates and 'disease' with cancer, diabetes, inflamation and auto-immune being search parameters;

Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011 Nov;301(5):F919-31. Epub 2011 Aug 31

J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 Dec;21(12):2036-9. Epub 2010 Nov 29. (this is a good one, it shows medical evidence that refined fructose which is contained in all of your 'carbs are ok' foods, t be so bad as to be considered an environmental toxin!)

Nutrition. 2010 Nov-Dec;26(11-12):1044-9. Epub 2010 May 14 (this one is even better! it directly links refined modern carbs to cardio vascular disease etc)

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2005 Feb 21;2(1):5 (this is excellent too)

Sorry, not enough time to post more... gotta study for medical board exams!

Did you even read any of these?

pchart1_thumb.jpg
    ci700332kn00001.gif
  • kristibag81
    kristibag81 Posts: 61
    Options
    My rule of thumb - If I can't live without it forever, then I am not going to give it up.

I agree!

You are better than me...I can't even thinking about giving up bread...
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am high protein and low carbing it, if I do have carbs they are gluten free or complex. I have lost 63lbs so far:) I have a lot of energy and my muscle tone is starting to come back now that I am consistently working out. Defiantly happy with the results!

The first two months are tough low carbing it.... but if you stick it out, it gets better:)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Low carb may not be your thing. We are all different biochemically. A recent study out of MIT suggests that people who have trouble regulating their serotonin levels should not do low carb, high protein diets. It can negatively affect mood and energy. Some people thrive on low carb, and others don't. If you are insulin resistant, low carb might be the right choice.

I love my whole-grain carbs. I try to avoid overly processed ones though. That's just garbage in. I've never had a problem with my weight or fitness, and my recent blood work came back with awesome blood sugar! Because I'm a runner, I need plenty of healthy carbs to fuel my workouts as well as protein to rebuild and repair. Figure out what works for you and do it! Good luck! :drinker:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I eat bread and pasta and, basically anything at all that I want. My morning coffee probably has more carbs than some people's entire day. It works for me.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was grain free for several months. My new job and position makes it almost impossible to eat enough calories & be grain free. However I did really well grain free. If I was craving sugar/sweet/something I'd go to baked apples. I loved lettuce wraps, etc. Pintrest had a ton of 'paleo' friendly recipes.

But, I don't think it's for everyone. So while cutting grains worked well for me, and I try to eat less of them now; I'm sure there's people out there who can't do veggies, fruits, nuts, and meats alone.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    if you can't do it - don't.
    worked for me.