Loss of muscle

Options
So, I am trying to eat a lot of calories (or more than a lot of people seem to around here) so I don't lose muscle mass. I have no muscle mass to begin with, so I really can't afford to lose any, and I don't want to lose weight too quickly in an unhealthy manner. I do not currently work out, because I'm not really on a short time table to lose weight. I want to lose twenty pounds in 16 weeks. My protein goal is set at 83g, and I eat over that everyday. Does this sound insane?

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein. Generally to preserve muscle, you want to have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. You can even up that to 1.25 if you have moderate body fat instead of high. Also, start weight lifting to preserve as much lean mass as possible.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    you won't preserve any muscle if you're not lifting, even worse if you're in a deficit.
    When we cut we gotta keep lifting just as hard or as hard as we can as when we were adding muscle mass.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Boo. I have not lifted anything in my entire life.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11'' female and I never eat less then 80 g of protein. So your protein should be higher. As fast as retaining muscle when not lifting, I have no idea
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Well, my goal is just default set to 83. I usually eat 110-170.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When you are doing your cardio to lose weight stay within your fat burning heart rate. If you train at a higher rate you will be burning your muscle.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Boo. I have not lifted anything in my entire life.

If you're worried about muscle mass... you should start.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I think I should just. Hire a personal trainer.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When you are doing your cardio to lose weight stay within your fat burning heart rate. If you train at a higher rate you will be burning your muscle.
    What??????
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    What??????

I know, right?
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    What??????

I know, right?

Low intensity fat burning zone is a myth. Ignore that nonsense.
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    What??????

This is somewhat true, but not quite that simple. Essentially, once your heart rate is higher than your aerobic base, you are no longer burning the "best" fuel mixture of fat:carbs. You are burning carbs and fats either way, but at higher heart rates you are burning less efficiently if your goal is fat loss. However, you lose more weight because you burn more calories. Hope that makes sense.
  • ehs5mw
    Options
    What??????

I know, right?

Source? I call ignorance or troll on your part. You are not being helpful at all.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    What??????

I know, right?

Source? I call ignorance or troll on your part. You are not being helpful at all.

My apologies, you are correct. During the actual cardio session you may not be burning the best "fuel" as you so aptly put it, but in the long run it makes little difference.

See: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

P.S. Sorry for appearing troll-like, that was not my intention.
  • ehs5mw
    Options
    What??????

I know, right?

My apologies, you are correct. During the actual cardio session you may not be burning the best "fuel" as you so aptly put it, but in the long run it makes little difference.

See: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

P.S. Sorry for appearing troll-like, that was not my intention.

Thank you for clarifying. Your link provides information that is very helpful. I am not convinced either way, though training at low intensities as part of increasing aerobic base seems beneficial either way, so I'm not sure the zones should simply be ignored.

Edit: Yes, sorry for calling it out like that; I understand your position now. Your reply was just so curt that it was difficult to tell where it was coming from.
  • paperm313
    paperm313 Posts: 30
    Options
    its not bad weight lifting, you will def begin to like it once you start. But yea, you have to lift to preserve muscle mass, or a tleast engage in other physical activities, like pushups, classes, and stuff. Find what you like best.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Set a modest deficit.
    To prevent muscle loss, the three main things are:

1. Eat protein (1g/lb)
    2. High tension muscle stimulus
    3. Don't go crazy with cardio
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of body weight exercises you could find by searching online. Its a good place to start if you don't have equipment or a gym membership. But that can only take you so far. If you want more you'll have to change it up and challenge your muscles-- which means lifting weights.

Regardless, what you eat needs to provide the macros & micros that muscle's require for growth. If any of those building blocks in nutrition are missing then your body can't make muscle. (or so says Tom Venuto's BFFM e-book)

In the end this has to be a lifestyle change if you expect the muscle to stay.

May I ask why you want/need to lose 20lbs? Are you looking to hit a specific number to win a contest?
    If your goal is about appearance then the scale isn't great for goal setting. Weighing less does not mean you'll look better. A pound of fat takes up more volume than a pound of muscle. Tracking bodyfat % or taking tape measurements give good feedback in addition to weight.

-I've been a toned 155 lbs at size 6, but also a 'puffy' 148 at size 12. I'd rather look awesome in a size 6 dress at 155 pounds with a sleek everything than weigh less and be the size 12 'puffy' version on me. Muscle makes a lot of difference.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Hmm, good call ladykate7. Honestly, I've never been interested in being muscular. I'm above the normal BMI for my height, and 155 is a good middle ground in the normal BMI for me. I've tried taking measurements, but just feel kind of...stupid. Kind of like when I lift weights.
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein. Generally to preserve muscle, you want to have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. You can even up that to 1.25 if you have moderate body fat instead of high. Also, start weight lifting to preserve as much lean mass as possible.

I agree ... up your protein if you want to preserve muscle