Anyone reading 50 Shades of Grey?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I read this when it was available for free as Twilight fanfiction, over on fanfiction.net, under the name 'Master of the Universe'. It was horrendously written then, with poor plot points, and a really superficial (unrealistic) view on BDSM. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

(and I get irrationally angry everytime it comes through my till because I mean dude - there must be all kinds of copyright infingement all over this... and really? There's PDF'S of the original story flouting around on the internet- the exact same story, the characters are just called 'Edward' and 'Bella')

Maybe she wrote it under that name and then just edited the characters to Christian and Ana?

Wish I knew it was a stupid Twilight FanFic before I wasted the money on it.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    yeah...I read the first book after seeing some fb posts about how many ppl were reading it. It popped up on my Kindle app as a suggested read, so I got it, not really even knowing what it was about. Not my usual type of book, but I enjoyed it, despite the author's annoying tendency to over use phrases.

I didn't think I was going to read the second book, but downloaded a sample onto my kindle...damn curiosity got the best of me! My Kindle says I'm 76% done with Fify Shades Darker. I like the added story line to this 2nd book, but still....so many repetitions.... How many times can she "look down at her knotted fingers" and "explode in a million pieces around him?" I hate that I'm hooked on this book...lol

If I were 15 years younger..not married and no kids...yeah....I'd sign that contract.....what a fun 3 months that would be! lol!

Is her "Inner Goddess" Still shaking pom-poms, doing back flips and standing at the podium cheering?? LOL!
    haha...yes! but, I think she added an arabesque to the routine.....and the subconscious is drinking Gin...or something....

Oh good lord! LMAO!

I already know I'm not going to continue the series. I'm really only finishing this book so I can write an adequate review for it.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Looks like I am definitely going to have to download this book on my iPad.....sounds interesting!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    All you need to open up to your SO's and explore!!!!

Personally, I picked up the book in B&N and writing structure is a joke. Just My opinion. I'd prefer to be captured in imagination without the enormous amounts of repetition. Shows a lack of inspiration. You find shorter stories of similar magnitude in magazines.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    i read the book. the writing was PISS POOR. so many errors. lady, GET AN EDITOR!!! no one talks like this: "i shall meet you promptly at 2pm in the foyer." or whatever. i just didn't feel like i was in the story. you know how you can read a book and get so engulfed you forget you're reading? i never forgot i was reading.

THAT SAID...

it was like crack. poorly written crack.

^^^^^^
    THIS....!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Oh hell no...I'd much rather be the one in charge!

That being said, I only read the first book. I barely finished because of the poor writing. If I had to hear about her idiot "Inner Goddess" (aka inner skank) or read that someone 'gasped' or 'flushed' one more time, my Nook would have been in danger of being smashed.

Not a bad idea for a storyline, but the author could have made better use of a thesaurus in my opinion....

I agree.

I am also skeptical over the things that shocks Christian. Dude, you're a DOM for f*cks sake! How could her wearing your boxer briefs or even no panties at all be "shocking"? Really?! Seriously?? Get a grip! If those kinds of things shock him then he'd die of a heart attack if he were with me.
    I couldn't agree more...the "gasp" at her wearing his underwear made me laugh.

All I can do is conclude that the author is seriously sheltered in her own intimate life if she finds some of these things to be shock-worthy! I didn't really feel any connection to the characters either. Aside from his looks, there wasn't anything particularly endearing about Christian, and found Ana to just be annoying.
  • hrobinson1975
    Options
    I started it last night and I'm already half way done! My husband likes that I'm reading it too! lol Hell yes I would sign it!!!!
  • CShepherd91
    CShepherd91 Posts: 44
    Options
    I read this when it was available for free as Twilight fanfiction, over on fanfiction.net, under the name 'Master of the Universe'. It was horrendously written then, with poor plot points, and a really superficial (unrealistic) view on BDSM. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

(and I get irrationally angry everytime it comes through my till because I mean dude - there must be all kinds of copyright infingement all over this... and really? There's PDF'S of the original story flouting around on the internet- the exact same story, the characters are just called 'Edward' and 'Bella')

Maybe she wrote it under that name and then just edited the characters to Christian and Ana?

Her name was 'IceQueenSnowDragon' or something or other, not 100% sure. She posted it online (it was huge!) got loads of reviews/fans, she even went to ComicCon with other Twilight fanfic authors and then just went "Hey, wait! Even though this writing is about characters that are owned by someone else (i.e. Stephenie Meyer), I totally deserve to *kitten* on all my fans, pull it off the internet, publish it as my own story, and charge them. I dunno... I'm still (unfortunately) attached to the fandom, and a lot of nasty crap went down concerning this woman and the way she treated her fans. I hate that of all the stories to hit it big, it had to be this big ol' pile of dog poop.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

That being said, I only read the first book. I barely finished because of the poor writing. If I had to hear about her idiot "Inner Goddess" (aka inner skank) or read that someone 'gasped' or 'flushed' one more time, my Nook would have been in danger of being smashed.

Not a bad idea for a storyline, but the author could have made better use of a thesaurus in my opinion....

I agree.

I am also skeptical over the things that shocks Christian. Dude, you're a DOM for f*cks sake! How could her wearing your boxer briefs or even no panties at all be "shocking"? Really?! Seriously?? Get a grip! If those kinds of things shock him then he'd die of a heart attack if he were with me.

All I can do is conclude that the author is seriously sheltered in her own intimate life if she finds some of these things to be shock-worthy! I didn't really feel any connection to the characters either. Aside from his looks, there wasn't anything particularly endearing about Christian, and found Ana to just be annoying.

Indeed.

I think the hype was from undersexed housewives LOL!!
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Her name was 'IceQueenSnowDragon' or something or other, not 100% sure. She posted it online (it was huge!) got loads of reviews/fans, she even went to ComicCon with other Twilight fanfic authors and then just went "Hey, wait! Even though this writing is about characters that are owned by someone else (i.e. Stephenie Meyer), I totally deserve to *kitten* on all my fans, pull it off the internet, publish it as my own story, and charge them. I dunno... I'm still (unfortunately) attached to the fandom, and a lot of nasty crap went down concerning this woman and the way she treated her fans. I hate that of all the stories to hit it big, it had to be this big ol' pile of dog poop.

Wow. What a douche.

I get why people do the fanfic thing, it's easier to write a story based on characters who are already developed (not my cup of tea. I personally prefer to think them up on my own and give them their own identity) but I agree that publishing a work that's based on another person's characters is kind of a rip-off even if you do change the names.
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    I so wanna read this...wait..it's based on twilight? eh....nevermind....
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I agree.

Indeed.

I think the hype was from undersexed housewives LOL!!
    Ha! Not a housewife, but the other part....ummm...maybe a little bit, that's why I'm a little bit into it....lmao!! :laugh:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    wait...so this 50 shades of whatever was originally TWILIGHT fanfiction...and people are spending money on it?
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'll be the 1st (and maybe only) guy to reply! LOL! I have 50 pages to go in book one. I'm reading it because my WIFE "strongly suggested" that I do so. And, needless to say, I am glad i did. You can spin that any way you like to suit your own imaginations. She's read all 3, and going back to catch things she discovered in teh epilogue of book 3.

Was it a sacrifice for me to read it? Heck yeah! LOL! But, ummm, some sacrifces we make to benefit others.... While some sacrifices ultimately benefit us! ;-)

That is all.
    You are such a loving husband....lol...! :wink:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yeah...I read the first book after seeing some fb posts about how many ppl were reading it. It popped up on my Kindle app as a suggested read, so I got it, not really even knowing what it was about. Not my usual type of book, but I enjoyed it, despite the author's annoying tendency to over use phrases.

I didn't think I was going to read the second book, but downloaded a sample onto my kindle...damn curiosity got the best of me! My Kindle says I'm 76% done with Fify Shades Darker. I like the added story line to this 2nd book, but still....so many repetitions.... How many times can she "look down at her knotted fingers" and "explode in a million pieces around him?" I hate that I'm hooked on this book...lol

If I were 15 years younger..not married and no kids...yeah....I'd sign that contract.....what a fun 3 months that would be! lol!

Is her "Inner Goddess" Still shaking pom-poms, doing back flips and standing at the podium cheering?? LOL!

I'd LOVE to shoot her inner goddess.

It's a horribly written book. But yes, I'm guilty of reading them. I'm starting book 3. Still think the writing is such *kitten* I have a hard time getting through some parts. But it'll make for a fun book club meeting.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i read the book. the writing was PISS POOR. so many errors. lady, GET AN EDITOR!!! no one talks like this: "i shall meet you promptly at 2pm in the foyer." or whatever. i just didn't feel like i was in the story. you know how you can read a book and get so engulfed you forget you're reading? i never forgot i was reading.

THAT SAID...

it was like crack. poorly written crack.

Couldn't agree more. I threw the first book down when I read the sentence "She literally melted into the couch."

Did you just write that????? *LOL*
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    36gzrt.jpg
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just started them, so far not impressed.

I much prefer the Anne Rice Sleeping Beauty series for my S&M. First book is "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty". Give em a shot if you like it rough.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Those are my FAVORITE and the writing is amazing!!!
    I've read those a few times ;)
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    Just finished all three! I liked the first two better than the third. I was annoyed with it all by the end of the series, though.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    oops