How Far would you go for your pet?

Options

Replies

• Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have birds and I would do ANYTHING for them. Hell, I just spend nearly $100 for a 2 minute visit to have the vet tell me that my parrotlet was horny.

For some people (like me), pets are my children and like a child, I would go to any length to ensure their care. If you are not willing to care for your pet when they become ill, then please, PLEASE don't have one.

Pets can be expensive (I've likely spent $2k over the past 3 years on my little $200 bird)...but they're not 'disposable' when you can no longer care for them or don't want them! And if you can't care for them, then please give them up to an reputable rescue organization where they can be cared for properly.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    My dog is like my baby, she was recently attacked by a dog when I was at school, and the medical bills were extensive. She had to be operated, and a three day stay at the vet. Most my family told me to do what was financially right, which to them meant putting her to sleep. I didn't, I could not, I raised since the beginning. All in all she turned out well, and is doing fine. I would do anything for her.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My Dog has a cataract in his eye, I think he is getting it in his second eye now too. The vet want's $7000+ for the operation and they don't offer payment plans. Cash up front! I would do a lot for my dog and it has just made me hate vets so much, they are charging 5x the normal price for the drugs I could get from the hospital!

Write the drug manufacturer. We had a Dane with Addison's and the monthly shot was almost $400. My husband had lost his job and we were told by our vet to give it a try. It worked. We explained our situation and they gave it to us for cost plus 5%. We were lucky that the vet suggested it or I would never have known.

Good luck
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My friend has a cat that has suffered from very bad ear irritation for absolutely ages. Despite continually taking it to the vet they continue to palm her off ..(her words) .. with various creams etc. whilst admitting that they have bo idea what is causing it. This cat, which in such terrible distress with his ears now, walks around with his head on one side and constantly appears to be in a fit trying to scratch his ears. Her decision now seems to be that it would be better to have the cat put to sleep!!! :mad:
    I am soo angry at her even talking about this as a solution and couldn't help but have a go at suggesting alternatives such as having his ears amputated.. a common proceedure with some cats, especially white ones as they often get cancer of the ear tips. She was annoyed at my suggestion and had I ever heard of this being done?...Yes.
    Then.."If only I lived nearer to the vetenarian college in London they would love to have a go at this"
    Me..."Would it be so difficult to get there?" (Baring in mind she travels all over the place for various meetings and social occasions)
    "He (the cat) wouldn't tolerate being in the car for so long"
    Me.."Surely you could give him something to keep him calm"..."No, he is allergice to anything like that"
    Me...Better for him to have a bit of distress now and be able to find out what is wrong with him first"
    At this point she got very irate and finished the conversation.
    It's not as if she cannot afford any treatment either and I really feel that any pet deserves the right to have as much as possible done for their comfort and well being as long as it wouldn't result in any children ending up being deprived..she has none.

Bit of a long rant...but what do you think?!

I think your friend needs to listen to you. A second opinion is definately needed, and if it means driving a little ways, then so be it. Get a cat carrier...the cat will be FINE.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    My friend has a cat that has suffered from very bad ear irritation for absolutely ages. Despite continually taking it to the vet they continue to palm her off ..(her words) .. with various creams etc. whilst admitting that they have bo idea what is causing it. This cat, which in such terrible distress with his ears now, walks around with his head on one side and constantly appears to be in a fit trying to scratch his ears. Her decision now seems to be that it would be better to have the cat put to sleep!!! :mad:
    I am soo angry at her even talking about this as a solution and couldn't help but have a go at suggesting alternatives such as having his ears amputated.. a common proceedure with some cats, especially white ones as they often get cancer of the ear tips. She was annoyed at my suggestion and had I ever heard of this being done?...Yes.

I have a cat who was a stray that my roommate took in... he's quite possibly the cutest and most (overly) affectionate cat i've ever met... but he has had problems with his ears for as long as i've had him, which is 9 years this month. at first he had ear mites that required his ears be cleaned with this solution for a few weeks until they cleared up. that was a cinch... after that he used to be so itchy in his ears that he'd scratch and scratch til he had no fur left. it would look like he was digging in his ear to get in as far as possible to get the itch that was bugging him. Also on his chin, same thing, and he would scratch himself raw. after a bit of trial and error, i found out he's allergic to just about everything! lol no joke. so we got him a ceramic food dish (not plastic) and he's on allergen-free food for the last 7 years or so, and is doing so much better! it's not cheap though ($70/month), but so much better for him. i notice he has flair ups whenever i feed him too many treats, but otherwise he's been much less itchy. and i'll treat him to allergen-free treats sometimes, but they're $7 a package.
    he also has serious bladder issues as of late, and the vet doesn't seem to know what's going on... but i'll keep paying to have him checked out until they can figure it out.
    he's my little man, and deserves every bit of effort to get him healthy as i would do for children if i had them. :bigsmile:
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    When my dachshund got congestive heart failure and the dr. (who i trust) said she'd have no quality of life anymore regardless of what we did, I put her down. Cried like a baby walking out of the vet but I couldnt' stand to see her suffer.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Having worked in the veterinary industry for a while, I would go to great lengths for my pets.
    Your friend should at LEAST go for a second opinion for the cat's treatment.

ALTHOUGH, there are people whom have the attitude 'it's just an animal' they see no emotional benefit from owning a pet, and I have witnessed many owners who bring their pets in to be euthanized because they are 'tired of owning' the pet. Shocking yes, and even more shocking, the veterinarian went ahead with the owners wishes. I did not agree with that, but what's better, ending a pet's life or the owner dumping the pet off in the woods?

Yeah, it does sound like she's not exactly willing to do much since it's "just a cat" and would probably inconvenience her. I have a neighbor who had a baby some months ago and originally he was a twin but they were premature and one died. After that she threw the cat outside (luckily spayed) because she believed the cat had something to do with it. She caught me once outside after I had been feeding her cat for about 2 months now and apologized that I was "being forced" to feed the cat. Uh... no one forced me. You weren't feeding her and she's a domestic animal that has inadequate hunting skills to feed itself with.

I had another neighbor who, after his mom died, threw her cat outside because no one wanted it. Took care of that cat for 6 months before I had the money to get him to the vet and make him mine, but he had feline leukemia and I have 3 other cats. It KILLED me to put him down but I had only one option if he lived: throw him back outside and it was just at the beginning of winter, he would not have lived through it.

I've owned cats since the day I came out my mother, no joke. I had a cat that was the only reason I got through the years of abuse from my father and that cat and I had a bond stronger than most marriages. I have two cats right now that I've raised since they were a month old and I had a cat (briefly, my father got rid of him when he got sick) I'd raised since he was born. Each cat I've owned, whether for long or short periods, I've loved and would do anything for. Even my family's animals, I would do all I could for any of them because I know what they mean to their owners.

The true horror of people's inability to give a rat's *kitten* was revealed when I went to work for the city's animal control center. Dogs in the heat of summer sitting in concrete kennels stained with years of urine and feces with no air conditioning. Cramped cages in a room with no electricity, no A/C. Supposedly "adoptable" cats leaving trails of matted fur, blood, and sickness as they ran around attacking one another and drinking green water dripping out of a leaking A/C unit because they were denied food and water until night time, their feces green and the consistency of pudding. No one working there cared. I worked there one day and the next reported them. 3 weeks later the horrors were revealed in the media and they were forced to shut down half the building, fire people, and clean up their act.
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I spent $5000 on my Rotti, $3,000 to have surgery on his knee and $2,000 to treat the lupus he ended up with... lived for 3 years :( Now I've spend $1,500 to move my German Shepherd from the US to Korea and will spend the same to get him back again when I leave here.
    I've also spent $800 to treat a cat with a hematoma of his ear and then the underlying ear infection... which happens to be the same scenario as the OP. We were given drops and creams for months and the cat would itch and shake it's head like mad (which caused the hematoma). Finally they had to take a swab, send it to a lab to see what type of bacteria it was, then they had to manufacture a drop specific to treat it. All of this for a cat I don't even really like (by my husband seems to).
    Without paying for the hematoma surgery, this lab work and special drops would have cost probably about $200... SO... it probably wouldn't be that difficult for her to get a second opinion and hopefully a vet more proactive for the cat's well-being.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    When my dachshund got congestive heart failure and the dr. (who i trust) said she'd have no quality of life anymore regardless of what we did, I put her down. Cried like a baby walking out of the vet but I couldnt' stand to see her suffer.

I had to do that with a male Siamese cat I had been taking care of after his original owners booted him out because the one the cat favored had died and no one else liked him. When I finally had the money to get him to the vet for a check up before I was going to bring him inside as my cat, they told me he had feline leukemia. I couldn't keep him in the house because it would have spread to my other 3 cats unless I locked him in a room and I couldn't just throw him back outside as it was the beginning of winter. The vet said that, outside, he wouldn't live through winter. I initially left with him, determined to make some sort of house for him outside so his remaining days would be comfortable but then I realized I would see him die in pain because I wanted to keep him. Eventually I turned the car around and went back and had him put down. I was a wreck for a month and the first two weeks I wasn't allowed to be alone because people were scared I'd hurt myself. And that was all over a cat I had only interacted with for 6 months, he hadn't even been technically mine, but damn if I didn't love him like he was.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If my pet is in pain or clearly distressed/miserable and the cost of treatment exceeds $700, I would put it to sleep. There are millions of other pets at shelters that need a good home, I would rescue one of them.

I spent $400 on my cat for hip surgery but I draw the line at $700. And yes, I love him dearly. However, my children's education and planning for retirement takes priority.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This past winter our Lab/Boxer past away due to lymphoma. The cost was over $6000 to keep her alive for 5 days with operations, dripper, ect. I would have spent more without question if we could have fixed her.

Since then, I got another Lab/Boxer (Boxador). 7 Months old and a handful, but still one of my families best friends. I would do it all over again.
  • LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options
    Quite simply, my cat is my baby (His name is Edison - that's him in my avatar, posing next to a vintage Barbie!). He'll be 17 yrs. old in July, and I got him when he was five months old, so he is my kid, no question. On the day I adopted him from the ASPCA, I made a vow - he would never, ever be "disposable". There would never be any of this, "Oh, well, he's just a cat" stuff, no way.

Health-wise, he was absolutely problem-free up until he was 13. Then he was diagnosed with a host of "little old man" problems that just cropped up - elevated kidney, liver and thyroid levels. So he's on four different meds for them. I order them once a month, and he takes them twice a day. He has to have fairly pricey (around $450) bloodwork done every six months to make sure the meds are still working.

The toughest decision I had to make for him so far was two years ago, he was diagnosed with a tumor on his liver, which we're fairly certain is benign. The upshot from the vet was - do nothing. At that point in time, he was almost 15 - he said the only way to tell if it was malignant would be an invasive surgical biopsy, which the vet said he probably wouldn't survive. And what it if it turned out to be benign, and he died on the table? I could have had more time with him, only to wind up killing him. He also said if it *was* malignant, the cancer treatments would be about $5,000 to $8,000, and probably wouldn't help him much. While I sat there and sobbed at what I thought was a death sentence for my baby, the vet very kindly said, "I could sit here and try to convince you that you need to pay us thousands of dollars to save him, but our best advice is - do nothing. Left untreated, we'd give him another two years, which leaves him at 17, which is a pretty good run for a cat with his health problems. None of the surgical and treatment options are going to improve the quality of his life, so my best advice is to spoil him rotten, give him tons of love, and we'll address what to do for him if we see he's really not doing well." Two years later, he's still chugging along, full of life, so rather than risk killing him to save him, I think this gives us more time together.

His latest health issue was a badly abcessed tooth, which made his little face swell up like a beach ball. I got him to the vet ASAP, and almost $900 later, he was back on the road to recovery. Is an almost 17 year old cat worth $900 for an abcessed tooth? Yep, every single penny.

And you know, I didn't even tell them at work when I took the day off to take him - I just said, "I have a household emergency, I need the day off" (which wasn't really a lie - he lives in my household, and it was an emergency!). But I work on Wall St., so I'm surrounded by people who would have told me to have him put to sleep for an abcessed tooth. No way - because that's fixable, you don't do that to him - he's not disposable. After x-rays, bloodwork, an exam, etc., the vet even said, "Oh, he'll be fine - you know, other than the abcess, he's in very good shape for his age and his other health issues."

So while I don't have all the money in the world to save him, and at some point in the next couple of years, I may have to decide what's best for him, I will spend my money and time within reason to make sure he's as healthy and comfortable as I can make him. It's the least I can do for the one little being who has made my life incredibly happy for the past 16 and half years.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options

If you are not willing to care for your pet when they become ill, then please, PLEASE don't have one.

Pets can be expensive (I've likely spent $2k over the past 3 years on my little $200 bird)...but they're not 'disposable' when you can no longer care for them or don't want them! And if you can't care for them, then please give them up to an reputable rescue organization where they can be cared for properly.

I agree 100%.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I paid over 4,000 for an emergency surgery for my (at the time 6 year old) chocolate lab. I had to borrow money from family and work, the vet and the techs all warned me about the dangers of postponing the surgery and the dangers of the surgery themselves, but I couldn't imagine not giving my Nena the chance. She went through the surgery and I slept on the living room floor next to her (she had to stay on a clean, sanitized surface) for about 2 weeks. She came out of it just fine. I had to put her down last Nov. (she had just turned 10) due to an immense amount of health issues, which the vet couldn't figure out, including her inability to walk, and a ridiculous amount of pain she was in. But even then I tried to make her feel better (even carrying her down two flights of stairs -with help-so she could use the bathroom- and she was about 90 lbs!) Seeing how miserable she was, and how hard she tried to be strong for me let me know that I had to do it for her peace. I think about her almost every day, and still tear up with how much I miss her.
    So it's hard to imagine people who think of their pets as just animals, but maybe this person thinks she is doing the best thing in her power at the moment? Or maybe she just isn't as connected to her poor cat as most people can be.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would do anything within my financial capability for my animals. My dog and my cat are seriously like children to me. They are spoiled, have tons of toys, eat premium food, and see the vet regulary. I also try to donate to animal charities frequently. I am definitely not rich but animals are a very important part of my life and I would do anything for my little guys. I hate stupid people who abuse their pets or get them and don't take care of them.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ohh that's so sad:sad: I hope the kitty cat gets better soon!!

I'm a huge animal lover and I have 2 cats.....I would do anything with in my capabilities to insure their health and happiness! If I were her I would definitely get a second opinion....a third opinion. And if in fact no one could offer relief for the poor kitty, I would make that heartbreaking decision to put him down. It's hard. I had to put my pet bunny of 9 years down...but he had an untreatable cancer and it would have been cruel to have him linger in pain.

Kitty at least deserves a second opinion!!!!
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would do anything for my pets; I see them as my adopted children.

A few years ago, my tiny toy poodle was in distress and I wasn't sure what was happening I just knew that he needed to go to the hospital and quick! I called his doctor who gave me directions to the nearest hospital. My husband and I were rushing to get him in the car and get there as fast as possible. While in route, he died in my arms! I was crying hysterically and yelling at my husband to drive faster. When we finally arrived at the hospital, I ran inside screaming for help and told them to do whatever they had to do to bring him back to me! They rushed him back; I signed a ton of paperwork allowing them to do everything and anything! I was a nervous wreck, my whole body shaking and could not stop crying! The nurse finally came to me and said they were able to shock him back and he’ll have to stay overnight so they can figure out what happened. Long story short, that was a Christmas Eve and the next day they called me with his update calling him the Christmas Miracle.

I love my babies and will do anything for them!

9821387.png

This is so me!!!!! The world needs more people like you!

Thank you staceyseeger :flowerforyou:
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    They are family...there are no limits!
  • jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love my dog, she gives us endless laughs...she is defo one of the family and we will go to the end of the world for her!
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would do anything for my fur-kids! It makes me so sad that people think it's just an annoyance or something if their pet needs help.