Low Carbers Only

Options

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I personally believe success is not all about how much weight is lost on a certain plan, but how well this plan taught the person and the ablitiy to keep the weight off.:bigsmile:
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    We follow the Primal Blueprint which has some similiarities to Paleo. We don't eat grains, but there are no restrictions on vegetables and fruit. The first month was hard to follow as we didn't know how to eat without pasta and bread, but now it's really pretty simple. We did suffer in the first couple of weeks with the "carb" flu, but once that passed it was all great. More energy and we don't have stomach issues such as bloating and gas that we see instantly if we splurge on grain laden foods. Also, I don't have to exercise as hard or as long to achieve the same results. It has definitely been something that is sustainable for our family, but I think it would be hard to keep up with if you were the only one in your family that was following it. Check out marksdailyapple.com for more information and for some amazing success stories. Good Luck!

Another devoted Primal Blueprint follower and success story here - I've been very happily Primal for almost 11 months, and have lost over 100 pounds in that time. I eat delicious, whole foods, I have plenty of energy for lots of exercise, and I credit this lifestyle with curing my food addiction and saving me from diabetes (my Dad is a type 2 diabetic who has had a leg amputated and is in kidney failure on dialysis and hoping for a transplant). I can easily see living this way for the rest of my life - because I don't feel at all deprived - I feel healthy and happy!

Check out marksdailyapple.com - it's a great site, is free, and gives you all the information you need to jump in and get started.

:)
    Amy
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    As a diabetic, I did low carb for a while to lower my glucose numbers and to try and lose weight. However, for me it did not work. One, it made my stomach feel SO gross. And TMI, but it made it harder to go to the bathroom. Of course, these are my experiences, and I know plenty of people who have had success. I still try and limit my carb intake, but not to the extremes I have in the past. Mostly because it makes me a cranky pants.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm doing south beach diet. Its not specifically focused on low carb, but my carbs are usually between 50-75 a day. You can check out my diary. I would suggest this approach vs Atkins.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have reduced my carbs to 100grams a day, and increased my protein to about 120grams. Its working for me. I think its all about moderation. You should play with your macros and keep track at where you see results for your body.

I decided to go low carb after reading marks daily apple (author of the primal diet). If you go to his website he talks about carbs and becoming insulin resistant, diabetes etc.

I'm diabetic so I have to watch my carbs. The american diet focuses too much on carbs, I don't think they should be eliminated however for "ME" they have to be reduced.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I also recommend primal/paleo.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    HUGE Believer in a low carb lifestyle - I'm doing a modified atkins (Mostly whole foods, but NO potatoes, bread or rice. I started off eliminating EVERY kind of carb except for non starchy veggies and ate an apple or strawberries every day. Being that strict helped be to break a lot of the bad habits I had formed and really put me in a motivated state. I've lost 32 pounds and have recent;y begun to add back some starchier veggies and more fruit. I also occasionally add quinoa and thats worked out well. (still not potatoes, rice or bread)

If his belly bothers him, tell him to try eating leaner meats and not up the veggies - also a fiber supplement and LOTS of water will help :)

Most of all good luck to you both! What a wonderful journey you guys are on together!
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Been on this journey for 14 1/2 months, a serious low carber for a year with a huge emphasis on exercise.

page.jpg

Wow, amazing!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would read the South Beach Diet...... it starts low carb and adds good carbs back. You can determine how long you want to be in each phase. But it's good to read about good and bad carbs, fats, etc. I think it's educational and it has great list of acceptable foods for each phase. (make sure you get the revised edition too... the original books have limited list)

The Dukan Diet is based on low carb too. I have a friend who has lost almost 30 lbs on this diet and swears by it.

Both diets were created by cardiologist. My husband and I both have heart issues that run on both sides of our families so I was very interested in South Beach when it came out. For my husband, it worked really well.

My suggestion is to stick with those lean proteins and lots of veggies. It does help to track your calories here too because you can have too few calories if you go really lean. My husband will tell you South Beach is awesome. The first time we did it, he lost 50 lbs. Last time he took off 15 lbs.

Personally I'm doing better with pretty much the last phase of South Beach but watching my calories with MFP. It's the maintenance phase of the diet. It just helps that I have a place to reference for food ideas, recipes, etc.

BTW - I do think low carb is a great way to break bad habits. I just can't last for more than 2-3 weeks without wanting to cheat. That's why I like SBD so I could add back high fiber whole grains after I have broken some of my bad carb habits. It's also something you can go back to for a week to help change up your diet too.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    One thing people don't realize when doing low carb is that there is a several pound "bloat" that you will lose when first introducing the diet. If you eat carbs, you will gain that "bloat" back in a day or two of bingeing on carbs. Then when you cut carbs out again, you'll lose the bloat again. You could gain and lose the same 3-8 lbs repeatedly if you don't stick to the diet.

This isn't true for everyone. I've been on low carb for some time now. I am very strict during the week, but on the weekend (Both days) I drown myself in carbs! Ice cream, Mcdonald's cookies, potatoes.. whatever I want. I have yet to gain back anything. The key is to cycle your carbs so that your body can take it when you introduce them into your diet in higher than usual amounts.
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! You look great!
    i have had low carb success -- been doing it since Nov 1 and have lost 77 pounds in six months

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg
  • CampbellHendry
    CampbellHendry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've had some great success going low carbs :) I usually hit about 50g of carbs a day so it's not TOO restricted just a lot lower than usual.

As long as he has enough energy to workout then what's the problem ;)

6-275.jpg

1-157.jpg
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am slowly switching over to the paleo/primal diet as well. As I am switching over I have cut out a huge number of carbs that I was eating. I haven't eaten fast food and I don't even crave it! My kids are eating healthier and my husband as well. Plus the recipes that I have made from the paleo diet are just so darn delish! Highly recommend the Paleo/primal diet. I've dropped 3.9 pounds in one week!!
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    **should have said - yes to upping veggies.. sigh (my editor is on her break :)
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds with no exercise between October and February on my own low-carb, Paleo-esque diet. Spaghetti and white flour will make you fat - the people who say it doesn't have never been fat in my experience chatting with folks on this website.

Also, newsflash, with any diet if you go off, you'll gain the weight back.

I just caution folks attempting low carbing because many eat nothing but ground beef and cheese and their diets are devoid of any nutrients. Combine that with the fact that most people "forget" to take their vitamins in the morning and you have a recipe for malnourishment. When I was low-carbing, my only carbs were leafy greens at lunchtime and sprouts (asparagus, broccoli, brussels) at supper. No dairy and flour obviously.

Yes it sucked balls in the beginning and I felt like *kitten* for a couple days. Had 1 bad stomach cramp every week for the first month. After that - it was like I was reborn. No hunger pains, energy throughout the workday with less coffee - it was amazing.

I had to stop because once my weight got down and my strength training ramped up, I had no energy for 90 minute workouts every day.

But there's my success story. The rules of dieting apply to any diet regardless of what it is - once you start making moronic choices on what to eat, you'll get fat. For example, eating a pound of wheat pasta just because you heard wheat pasta is wicked healthy is still eating a pound of pasta haha...For what it's worth, I'm up to 150-200 carbs a day now and not gaining weight, so saying once you go off "Atkins" you gain it back is a blanket statement. Not attacking any particular poster, I just see that a lot.

Make healthy decisions and eliminate foods that don't bring you closer to your goal.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I did low carb for a while to lower my glucose numbers and to try and lose weight. However, for me it did not work. One, it made my stomach feel SO gross. And TMI, but it made it harder to go to the bathroom. Of course, these are my experiences, and I know plenty of people who have had success. I still try and limit my carb intake, but not to the extremes I have in the past. Mostly because it makes me a cranky pants.

Maybe try eating more vegetables?
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So I am doing my low-carb thing not really following any diet plan. For three weeks I have eaten no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc...I do eat fruit but very little, I eat nuts as well. This along with exercising for 5 days a week has me loosing about 1.5 a week. I am new to the calorie counting but I am assuming that everything is working together which is why the weight is coming off.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Congrats.
    I've had some great success going low carbs :) I usually hit about 50g of carbs a day so it's not TOO restricted just a lot lower than usual.

As long as he has enough energy to workout then what's the problem ;)

6-275.jpg

1-157.jpg
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do low carb two days a week. I'm a carb-o-holic and doing it twice a week works great. I get rid of water weight while I'm on it and I'm allowed up to 50 grams of carbs each day for the two consecutive days. I generally drop about 8 lbs in the two days and keep 4 of those 8 lbs off. I've noticed that after doing this for three weeks I keep losing weight consistently and my cravings are under control and I eat a lot less then I use to. The set back for me from doing this, since I generally eat a lot of carbs, is my energy level is low and I end up with a migraine by the end of the second day. It takes less then a day for me to feel my self and I try to work out when I can. Low carb isn't for everyone.. and doing low carb all the time has got to be hard. The two day approach seems to work great. Maybe he can try that first?? The main reason I do this is because I worked my butt off week after week and saw barely any results. After 3 months of barely any weight loss and trying a multitude of different things.. I found that this works for me and I feel great especially with the weight loss I have achieved and maintained. Good luck to you and your husband!
  • mandacloye
    mandacloye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    New diagnoses as of last Friday of Type II Diabetes. I had been on MFP since Feb knowing the first thing they were going to ask of me was weight loss. I am down about 14 lbs. So this Tuesday I went to a diabetic eduactor. (Bare in mind I am a nurse for 21 years and "taught" many diabetics).
    What she taught me revolutionized my way of thinking and looking at this.
    I am to keep my carbs at or near 200/day. The break down is as follows: 30 carbs for breakfast. 60 carbs for lunch and dinner and two snacks during the day of 30 carbs each. I no longer even look at the calories, sodium, sugar, any of that. By keeping my carbs in check the other things naturally fall in line. I have to keep a diary of my blood glucose for the next three months and may still require meds but for now I feel a LOT better and know I am doing good by myself. I am off my BP meds. I would encourage your husband to get educated by a professional. I am ever so glad I did!

Good luck and God speed to him.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!