Your opinion on FITBIT

Options

Replies

• kimrob1615
    kimrob1615 Posts: 3
    Options
    can someone tells me what happens with the fitbit when you're driving - both pedometers I have keep registering steps when I drive, and as I drive around a lot (sadly...) I'm wondering whether it's going to miscount for me if I get one.
  • slimhabit
    slimhabit Posts: 34
    Options
    I think I read on the Fitbit group r site that if you have this problem you just log sart and end of journey. For me I just use it as a motivator day on day
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit so much that I've named it and require my kids to call her by her name Ms Nesbit. It's kind of a cute little game we have so it's not 'oh more of Mom's exercise crap' mentality.

I only take mine off to shower. I check it constantly and it motivates me to do more everyday. It syncs with MFP and also with another place online where you can earn points for exercising based on how much you do per day.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I won't be without my fitbit, seriously.....amazon has the best price btw. I have it on 24/7, I have had it a month now but not really sure if Im using it right but it syncs with mfp so I don't need to log my exercises anymore, it tells me what I burned which is nice cause I think mfp gives you more calories than you actually burn, just my observation. Good luck and have fun with your fitbit
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I

L O V E

F I T B I T ! ! !

Cant stress that enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump....I am debating too!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i love mine ... i actually left it on the charger this morning and i feel lost!
  • MrsPigz
    MrsPigz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I

L O V E

F I T B I T ! ! !

Cant stress that enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^what she said^^^
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit and the customer service is great. i ruined mine in the washing machine and they replaced it for me even though it was completely my fault by my own admission. it really motivates you to get up.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is great. However, I've found a limitation. I've started biking to work and I don't want it to record anything during the ride because it would obviously be inaccurate. So, I put it in my backpack. I figured that the relative steady, smooth motion wouldn't trip the accelerometers of the FitBit. I was wrong. It still records steps. I'm not sure how to get around this as I want to wear it at work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, the best thing about the FitBit in my estimation is that it can give you extra calorie credit in MFP when you do extraordinary walking, such as going shopping at the mall etc. It seems to be able to tell when you are going above and beyond your normal activity and adds an adjustment to MFP so that your actual calorie burn is as accurate as possible.
  • maybek8e
    maybek8e Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am addicted/obsessed with my Fitbit (healthy addiction, right?)!! I do wear it pretty much 24 hours a day, except when I shower. Right now thought it is not syncing to My Fitness Pal for some reason so I have no clue what my adjustment is which is my only complaint so far, and that is just for today and I have had my Fitbit since January.

One of the things I like best with the Fitbit is that you can see where your friends are with their daily logs so you can try to "beat" them. I did that last night. My one friend is always right around 20,000 steps for the day. My desk job does not cooperate with that most days.

The other thing I really like is that it gives you a calorie adjustment in My Fitness Pal. Helps with if you want that extra half piece of pizza ;-p
  • square_peg
    square_peg Posts: 2
    Options
    My Fitbit arrived yesterday and I love it already! It was really easy to set up just using the online instructions. I set it for sleep overnight and it's really interesting - I thought my alarm hadn't gone off at 6 this morning but, no, the fitbit shows that I did wake at 6am and went back to sleep at 6.03. Ooops! Today, I have climbed up 28 floors worth of stairs which it tells me is equivalent to climbing La Danta Pyramid. I KNOW I wouldn't usually do this much. I also went out for a long walk with the baby in the buggy....in the rain! The only question for me is whether it is ok to eat the extra calories I have been credited on mfp - I am used to sticking to 1400 and to go over this seems wrong? Any advice on this gratefully received :) Off to do some more stairs now .................. ;)
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I bought one. I'm in the first week. So far, so good. The driving thing is a little annoying since I spend two hours a day on the road. Otherwise, it seems a pretty cool tool.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is great. However, I've found a limitation. I've started biking to work and I don't want it to record anything during the ride because it would obviously be inaccurate. So, I put it in my backpack. I figured that the relative steady, smooth motion wouldn't trip the accelerometers of the FitBit. I was wrong. It still records steps. I'm not sure how to get around this as I want to wear it at work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, the best thing about the FitBit in my estimation is that it can give you extra calorie credit in MFP when you do extraordinary walking, such as going shopping at the mall etc. It seems to be able to tell when you are going above and beyond your normal activity and adds an adjustment to MFP so that your actual calorie burn is as accurate as possible.

It's a bit of a hacky workaround, but you could fashion a cradle for when you don't want it to register movement. Look at old BBC photos of radio stages, where the microphones are suspended in springs. You could cut an old water bottle in half, and put the bit inside, suspended by a couple of rubber bands.

Bit hacky, as I say. I havn't got one myself, so I don't know if there's a software solution.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit as well. :) I get slightly obsessed with seeing how many steps I've walked or the distance I've traveled. It really appeals to the geek in me. It also wakes you up when you see how sedentary you actually are. Definitely got me wanting to get my butt moving more.

While I keep it on while I work out, I use it in conjunction with my HRM and log my HRM readings into MFP instead of logging an activity with my fitbit. Because of this, I tend to ignore my fitbit adjustment unless it was an active day that did not include working out. Just my personal preference and it seems to work for me thus far.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    can someone tells me what happens with the fitbit when you're driving - both pedometers I have keep registering steps when I drive, and as I drive around a lot (sadly...) I'm wondering whether it's going to miscount for me if I get one.

My Fitbit records stairs and steps while I drive... a lot, like 7 flights of stairs and 400 steps one way to work. I can override the activity, by setting the timer when I drive, then, logging it as driving on their website. It's feasible for me to do this because I primarily just drive to/from work...about 2 hrs/day round trip. My other option is to take it off and put inside a pair of gloves folded into a ball inside my cup holder. This seems to reduce the overstatement of activity, but I'm always afraid I'm going to forget to put it back on.

I use a Body Bugg and a Fitbit. If I had to choose one, it would be the Body Bugg easy. So, if you can afford it and don't mind the visibility, I would get the new body media core (essentially a newer body bugg). The device isn't much more expensive than a Fitbit, the issue is primarily that you have to pay for the website after the first 3 or 6 months....I think about $7/month.
  • Metorks
    Metorks Posts: 37
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit for almost 3 years now, and I just started using it again. In fact, I ordered the new Fitbit Ultra on Amazon. I've been using it 24 hours a day now for about a week, and plan to continue to do so. The breakdown it gives you can be enlightening.

The other thing I purchased is a Polar BlueTooth heartrate monitor that I can sync to my phone. With that, and the Endomondo app, I find that I get a much better (accurate) reading for calorie expenditure than the machines at the gym give me. It's been off by over 100 calories before, and that's a pretty big deal. Surprisingly, the Fitbit does a pretty good job of approximating calorie expenditure as well, and isn't nearly as uncomfortable to wear as the HRM.

Check out the new Fitbit Aria scale, too. Just ordered one for myself.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    While I keep it on while I work out, I use it in conjunction with my HRM and log my HRM readings into MFP instead of logging an activity with my fitbit. Because of this, I tend to ignore my fitbit adjustment unless it was an active day that did not include working out. Just my personal preference and it seems to work for me thus far.
    That's also what I do. I enter my exercise on MFP and when FitBit syncs with MFP, I believe it matches up the steps it sees with the MFP activity log and lets MFP override its calculations for periods where you have indicated activity.

There is another limitation that I've also run into. Exercising at midnight. If you start an exercise at 11:30 on a Monday, say a treadmill run, and run for an hour some of your steps will be recorded on Monday and some on Tuesday. However, MFP only asks for a single date when you enter in an exercise. This throws the FitBit/MFP sync for a loop as FitBit thinks your entire MFP workout occurred on Monday and thus any steps that were recorded early Tuesday are added as a 'FitBit Adjustment'. I end up having to delete the adjustment, sometimes multiple times (FitBit is persistent) when this occurs.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I don't have a Fitbit yet (but REALLY want one), but have had pedometers (notice the"S" at the end of that word). They basically have a ball in it that "bounces" when you step. Well, each bump sometimes gets mistaken for a "step", so that is why your pedometers miscount at times... I believe the fitbit is a bit different (no "ball" to "bounce" :smile: , but would LOVE to hear what other more "Senior" users say. :smile: