Garbage bag while working out? Is this really bad?

Options
12346»

Replies

• HerHusbandTheirDaddy
    Options
    Only if you are making a rap video

vma-missy-elliott.jpg

That is freaking funny! I needed that!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said...you will lose too much water - not weight....not a good idea at all.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it can be dangerous.. you can buy sauna suits that help you sweat more. It just sheds more water.

Just because you can buy it, doesn't make it safe. The fitness industry is chock full of inadvisable equipment.

Where do you think that water you're "shedding" comes from?
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to see this at my old gym and I never understood it. Unless you are a jockey or a boxer or something that you need to make weight for, why would you do this? It does make you sweat more but it's not like sweat is fat melting out of your pores!

Plus the people at my gym who used to do it would leave huuuuuge puddles of sweat by their machines, like rain puddles, it was so gross.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I used to see this at my old gym and I never understood it. Unless you are a jockey or a boxer or something that you need to make weight for, why would you do this? It does make you sweat more but it's not like sweat is fat melting out of your pores!

Plus the people at my gym who used to do it would leave huuuuuge puddles of sweat by their machines, like rain puddles, it was so gross.

Ya that is pretty gross.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

If you want to get hotter and sweat more during a workout, work out harder.

^^This. Or turn up the heat!:tongue:
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    Yeah I agree it sounds dangerous and just dehydrating not fat burning
  • helencita13
    helencita13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    anyone else notice that this guy's hand appears to be on backwards? ;)
    5f690741dab70019a26879a81a07fade.jpg

hahaha no but now I can't stop staring at it! lol

18580408.png
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the plastic bag. The cheap ones suck but imo get Glad EXTRA STRONG bags. I hear these work the best for fast fat weight loss and suffocation. Just ask Dr Oz.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCGAe0lSXkAGQzPWb1DtMrz07dVZmQkHC65MTKup5efCEmiorC9Q

haha im only kidding. :laugh:

head.jpg dont put the bag on your head.

:smooched: :flowerforyou:

But seriously...While it MAY...and I use that loosely...may give fast results...they will only be temporary. A better bet to rid yourself of water weight is to drink water.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    While my wife and I have a work out session i like to wrap her up in saran wrap does that count. Ok not really but I just had to say that.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said about this. Also, in all seriousness, from a woman to a woman, building up all kinds of sweat down there is inviting a yeast infection to the party. Yuck.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is completely unnecessary. The body burns calories more efficiently the cooler the body is.

At best, you lose water weight, which isn't necessarily a good thing. At worst, this can cause serious health issues.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I use to do that all the time when I wrestled in high school. All is does is make you sweat like crazy, it won't increase your calorie burn or anything like that.

Unless you are an athlete and need to drop a few pounds of water weight really quickly (wrestler, boxer, MMA, or something along those lines), I wouldn't even attempt it.
  • xsarahlouise1
    Options
    I don't see how it can be dangerous.. you can buy sauna suits that help you sweat more. It just sheds more water.

Just because you can buy it, doesn't make it safe. The fitness industry is chock full of inadvisable equipment.

Where do you think that water you're "shedding" comes from?

Point taken.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's seriously bad and totally pointless, you lose water and put your body under stress. My (daft) brother did this in his teens when training for a half marathon, and started bleeding when urinating and had partial renal failure from which he fortunately recovered. You know it's stupid, that's why you strated the thread so DON'T DO IT.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Dehydration, heat stroke, renal failure, heart failure, coma, death.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If we all agree that sweating more does not help weight loss, can we all agree that that Hot Yoga (Birkim??) is also no more beneficial than regular yoga?

The point of hot yoga is not to lose more weight by sweating, but that heat makes your muscles more flexible. Even regular yoga seeks to keep heat in the body in order to increase flexibility.
  • mclaughlin709
    mclaughlin709 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Only if you are making a rap video

vma-missy-elliott.jpg

I seriously LOL'd at your reply.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Dangerous. Don't do it. Sauna suits are dangerous also. It dehydrates you--fighters do it to make weight. You are risking heat stroke among other things.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    People! Stop interfering with Darwin!