Would you count standing as exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia Fit and I have a desk job, I can tell you that when I have an unusual day of standing, I definitely burn more calories. You may want to consider changing your profile, not sure what you have it set to, but if sedentary, it should probably be higher than that to account for the standing. If you only work a couple of days a week, you should count it as exercise. Just my opinion.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Have you ever lost weight standing and doing cashier work before? I used to work at Farmer Jack, working in the bottle room, pushing and pulling carts out of the snow, and walking around putting things back. Never lost any weight doing that lol... Don't cheat yourself; get some real exercise in where you got your blood pumping and you are sweating; you know....Real exercise!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No it's not exercise. Yes it counts into your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Change your activity level and this will account for the difference.

This^
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I find counting normal daily activities as exercise to be counterproductive to weight loss... Here's why:

Did you stand at your cashier wrap before you started using MFP? Probably. Was it helping lose weight then? Doubt it.

Same goes with housework like vacuuming, dusting, or carrying your infant around. If you did these things on a daily basis before logging calories and you were still overweight/not seeing results, it's not going to help you lose weight or see results now. What it does, however, is help you justify extra calories you shouldn't be allowing yourself and making you feel like you're getting a work out without actually working out. At all.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I find counting normal daily activities as exercise to be counterproductive to weight loss... Here's why:

Did you stand at your cashier wrap before you started using MFP? Probably. Was it helping lose weight then? Doubt it.

Same goes with housework like vacuuming, dusting, or carrying your infant around. If you did these things on a daily basis before logging calories and you were still overweight/not seeing results, it's not going to help you lose weight or see results now. What it does, however, is help you justify extra calories you shouldn't be allowing yourself and making you feel like you're getting a work out without actually working out. At all.

YOU SAID IT AND I LOVE IT! :heart: