Diet pills

Options

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Apidexrin is crap, all it does it make you super hyper for a couple hours AND hungry to top it off. It didn't help me a bit when I tried it for a few weeks trying to break a plateau.
  • Misalayne
    Misalayne Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the diet pills. I know you think you need them, but you don't. You can/will lose weight by changing your eating habits and if you want to tone, do cardio like walking everyday. Join Curves or something.

I agree with others...you're hungry with the pills, so why not just stop taking them, eat 5-6 meals a day, drink your fluids...water..., and walk everyday? MFP works! Read other peoples success stories and you will be inspired and belive in yourself that you too can do this!
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3958639

I take OxyELITE Pro, its great for workouts and helps curb your appetite. It does for me anyways, but healthy eating is a good habit too and eat regularly and you won't be so hungry either. Check out website above.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I believe some others have mentioned it but go out and get yourself a beginners cook book. Rachel Ray has a ton of cookbooks for 30 minute meals.

Get a crockpot if you don't have one already and search some crockpot recipes. You throw all the ingredients in before you leave for the day, set it and when you get home dinner is ready.

Cooking skills you can learn. It's not that difficult. The internet has TONS of information and recipes.

Tacos are a quick and easy meal. Chicken breast can be made 1000s of ways and is a quick and healthy meal.

If you can cook one day a week than on that day cook up a bunch of chicken breast. Cut up some for fajitas, wraps, and salads. Have some where you can have with a side of steamed veggies (you can get bags to put your veggies in and steam in the microave in like 5 minutes).

Make sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc and slowly increase your cooking skills.

Pre-packaged stuff is terrible. Try to have fresh as much as possible.

To make it easier when you bring home groceries wash and cut up fruits and veggies. Put in containers and make enough for a few days. Easy to grab and go and a quick snack when you're hungry to stop you from going to something else.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I am doing the medical weight loss... sort of. Anyway ive only lost 22 punds in 3 months and according to my plan I should have lost 50 by now. I of course do cheat because I am STARVING TO DEATH!!! So they gave me adipex. Everyone said oh you will have to make yourself... you wont be hungry at all..... Yeah that didn't happen. So I started taking two a day each at a different time. Yep still starving with no appetite suppression going on. Actually I think I am even hungrier. So I talked to the dr and she gave me tenuate.... uhm ok I am a nurse and I know that tenuate isnt as strong as adipex so the result was the same. I feel like Im eating expensive tic-tacs. Has anyone else had this problem? I basically all but quit the medical weight loss because I can't do it because I get so hungry and shaky I eat everything in site.

So my typical day of eating is:
    breakfast oatmeal
    then I do 3 protein shakes and a protein bar until dinner which by then Im starving so I eat the first thing i see i dont drink anything but water which is flavored with crystal light. Im slacking on my exercising because I have been so tried but Im trying to get started again.

I've never taken diet pills, but I have in the past taken meds that had an appetite-suppressing effect and which also were occasionally prescribed for that purpose, so I suggest you keep looking for something effective if you feel you need it. [In response to some of the comments above --As you are a nurse, and are being prescribed these pills by a doctor, I take for granted that you are aware that they are a short-term solution. If you are taking them I assume you believe you need them and that's good enough for me.]

You also might want to look into a conservative form of Intermittent Fasting. You would create a window in which you would eat 10 hours a day and would eat all the food on your diet. The rest of the time you would fast, drinking water, tea, coffee, sugarless beverages. I've recently started doing this and have finally seen some results (in addition to lowering my calorie max to 1,100, because the 1,200 suggested by MFP was too high).

Many people find that they get less hungry doing IF. I start my fast after my last meal in the evening and resume eating in the late morning or early afternoon. There's an Intermittent Fasting group here if you are interested.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Has your doctor not coached you on healthy options that will make you feel fuller for longer? More proteing less carbs??? Has your doctor referred you to a dietician that can help you with finding a balance that wont leave you feeling hungry?

Looking at your diary you are consuming processed foods and foods that will do nothing but raise your blood sugar then make you crash craving more. If you try more protein, fruit and veggies you will feel fuller longer.

See that's the thing you only see the doctor once a month if you ask them to let you see her. Then she only gives you a prescription and you leave. The people that work there have used the diet to lose like 30 pounds they aren't trying to lose major weight like someone like me. Yes they do tell me that I need to eat veggies but honestly I haven't found a veggie that I can eat without gagging. With the diet you are not allowed fruit.... it raises your blood sugar and causes you to crash just like you said. So I am in fact destroying my diet myself because I am so hungry. Also there are no dieticians involved in this. All I eat is protein and I mean a lot of protein in these things that it messes with my bowel movements.

Can you find a better place that is experienced in dealing with people with a larger amount of weight to lose?

Personally I say ditch the doc approach all together, get yourself some good books and arm yourself with all the information both in books and online and go for it on your own. I've done nearly 50 lbs all on my own, I have 70 more to go so I know what a struggle it can be. If you change just small things at a time it will all fall into place. After nearly 4 months I now eat to fuel my body and not my emotions!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cassie, I've looked at your food diary. You have a lot of McDonalds in there. I know it's easy to go there, but just because that breakfast egg sandwich falls within the calorie limit, doesn't mean it's good for you. Cut out McDonalds. I don't even know the last time I ate McDonalds. I can't remember that far back.
  • tasharenee80
    tasharenee80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I normally don't comment on any of these boards, but this is really disturbing. I think any gimmicks, tricks, pills, cheats, etc are the wrong way to go if you're looking for long term healthy weight loss. Also, not being educated on it can hurt you as well. Taking the pills may work at first, but when you stop taking them, all your weight comes back, plus a few more pounds. The key is to just pace yourself. Try working out early in the mornings....It gives you a boost of energy throughout your day. Also, try eating small meals and snacks inbetween meals. Like some of the other said, you will put your body into starvation mode, and that makes it that much worse. Also, try planning your meals the day before... I know that can be a bit time consuming, but it really helps. That way, you know how many calories your can eat for breakfast and lunch if you want to have a big dinner. I hope all the comments help... Don't get discouraged.... Good Luck!!:happy:

12804567.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    \that im not losing and watch all their commercials on tv about how john lost 98lbs and is STILL LOSING... yeah well I bet he starved to death as well.

Commercials on TV? Is this a legitimate program? In addition, there are always disclaimers about individual cases not being representative.

Are you a Registered Nurse? That was my assumption. But the way you express yourself makes me wonder.

If you are on an extreme diet and were told you would never be hungry that was a misstatement. You mentioned what you eat during the first part of the day, but not what you eat for dinner. Maybe you are eating too many calories.

I know you said you've paid a lot of money, but it might be worth it to consult a Registered Dietician outside of the program.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    Drop the diet pills; drop the crash diet. I've been there, done that. Such rapid weight loss (50 pounds in 3 months?) would never be healthy or long-lasting. Temporarily satisfying, yes, but not permanent and not conducive to long-term health. Effective weight loss requires TIME and PATIENCE. I know how frustrating it is to workout, and count calories,and only see 1-2 pounds at a time drop off the scale. But they do drop. And then a couple more, and then a couple more. And eventually you'll get where you want to be. You don't have to be hungry; eat filling vegetables and high-fiber foods. Eat a baked potato. Eat a couple pieces of chicken. Do it the way thousands of us are doing it: slow and steady wins the race. Why starve yourself when in the end, you won't have made any lifestyle changes and you'll end up right back where you started?

Find your BMR, add 200, and then eat that many calories a day. Add exercise to the mix and you'll feel great.

I totally agree with the above..Look what you are eating?...Shakes and a protein bar?...All chemicals and not a life long diet...Why not load up on vegetables that are full of fiber like cut up peppers...cucumbers...carrots..sweet potato... cut up apples..etc. Maybe egg whites with a full egg...Even I wouldn't be full with what you are eating...
    Debbie~~:smile:
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    They just don't work on you.

I have taken them several times.....Phentermine. Evertime I get prescribed them I lose less weight because my body gets used to them. Before I start trying other drugs and really forming a problem, I just decided to try losing it the right way so I would learn how to keep it off. This way works better and I feel better. Sure the weightloss isn't as fast but damn if isn't more rewarding. Sure feels good to say I worked my *kitten* off to lose weight instead of I took a pill and starved myself.

What is done is done. Don't go back to pills. Get on the calorie counting band wagon, excerise, and up your calorie intake to about 1800 and you should still see results just not as

WELL said!
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Taking the pills may work at first, but when you stop taking them, all your weight comes back, plus a few more pounds.

That's not necessarily the case for everyone. She's a nurse, so I give her credit for being able to educate herself. I don't advocate pills or surgery -- I think they are extreme last resorts -- but some people seem not to be able to lose weight without them.

I've never been overweight, but in the course of working to maintain my weight I've read a lot of sites like this and some people seem to need extra help.
  • Jbradbury1964
    Jbradbury1964 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No diet pills work:sick: ...they are all like placebos in my book (I think I have tried them all). You are not eating enough to make you lose weight. If you do not eat your 5 small meals a day, your body goes into starvation mode. Do not eat empty calories either. Eat more protein and lots of veggies and fruit as they fill you up and satisfy you. We have to retrain our minds to not think about food all the time. Food should only be to sustain life and not as a habit that is thought about all the time. You have done a great job so far but modify your food intake and you should be ok. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    No diet pills work:sick: ...they are all like placebos in my book (I think I have tried them all). You are not eating enough to make you lose weight. If you do not eat your 5 small meals a day, your body goes into starvation mode.

You do not need to eat 5 meals per day to avoid starvation mode. Please stop spreading this nonsense.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cassie,
    I didn't flip through all the messages, but I saw enough.

I can only relate my personal experience. I have done this SAME exact plan. I refused the pills because I have a family history of drug problems and EVERY place I looked these up, they mentioned speedy side effects.

I did lose 40 lbs, but it took me a year. And guess what, it took me less than that to gain over half of it back. I am now struggling to lose it again with a lifestyle change.

I stress the term "Lifestyle Change" because this has to be something you can maintain the rest of your life. You will not, hopefully, continue taking diet pills and eating the prescribed diet the rest of your life. I found I was constantly "cheating" and then evaluated my "cheating" and found I was cheating by eating fruits and vegies. That's what finally turned me off to this plan.

I also found the staff at my clinic to be rude and unhelpful. If they aren't helping, they aren't earning their fee, quit paying them (just my advice).

I realize you need to make your own decision, so please don't feel I'm telling you what to do. Good luck in whatever you decide. If you need a friend, feel free to add me!

Nitka
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The most important piece of machinery you will ever own is your body. I think MFP is good for the weight loser because it offers a terrific support network. MFA to weight losers is like AA is to alcoholics. The downside is that there are a lot of people out there who don't know squat about nutrition but MFA can stimulate you to learn. There is no quick solution to weight loss. It becomes very frustrating when you hit plateaus but you have to listen to what your bod is telling you. Good nutrition/exercise = healthy weight loss.
    Ditch the pills and put good fuel in your body. :)
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cassie you have to tell yourself that you're worth the effort to get healthy. You are worth adopting a healthy lifestyle. You have a child that looks up to you and nomatter what kind of crappy day you had thinks you are the greatest thing in the world. See yourself through her eyes. When you start to love yourself you'll realize you don't need the pills and gimmicks. You'll start eating better, moving more and drinking more water. It will take time to get to where you want to be but who says you have to rush and not love the journey. Today a co-worker brought in cinnamon rolls that are 900 calories. Sure they look great but I love myself more than I love cinnamon rolls, so I ate fruit and greek yogurt today. I did have two Hershey dark chocolate pieces of candy for 70 calories instead so I got the sweet treat. I sometimes go to McDonalds but I eat the salad instead of the other stuff because I just determined I feel like crap when I don't fuel my body with good real food. Like everybody else said, eat real food and I personally wouldn't drink all my calories like protein shakes and juice because they wouldn't fill me up. Good luck on your journey, stick with it.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    \that im not losing and watch all their commercials on tv about how john lost 98lbs and is STILL LOSING... yeah well I bet he starved to death as well.

Commercials on TV? Is this a legitimate program? In addition, there are always disclaimers about individual cases not being representative.

Are you a Registered Nurse? That was my assumption. But the way you express yourself makes me wonder.

If you are on an extreme diet and were told you would never be hungry that was a misstatement. You mentioned what you eat during the first part of the day, but not what you eat for dinner. Maybe you are eating too many calories.

I know you said you've paid a lot of money, but it might be worth it to consult a Registered Dietician outside of the program.

What exactly do you mean? The way I express myself? Yes I am a registered nurse!! Again with the attacks, I'll just stick to doing my diary and forget posting in here since people can't help but be rude!
  • mfpcopine
    Options

What exactly do you mean? The way I express myself? Yes I am a registered nurse!! Again with the attacks, I'll just stick to doing my diary and forget posting in here since people can't help but be rude!

I think I've actually been the most supportive person here. But using phraseology like "He starved himself to death" does not sound like the language a medical professional would use. I also would expect you to be skeptical about claims by a program that is advertised on T.V. It's well known that they can be misleading. Your tone is that of a rant, which I am not used to in people with professional training, even if they are frustrated.

I'm being direct, not rude.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I think I've actually been the most supportive person here. But using phraseology like "He starved himself to death" does not sound like the language a medical professional would use. I also would expect you to be skeptical about claims by a program that is advertised on T.V. It's well known that they can be misleading. Your tone is that of a rant, which I am not used to in people with professional training, even if they are frustrated.

I'm being direct, not rude.

Come on guys, let the whole RN thing go would you? She's a person! Assuming she should know better because she is an RN is like assuming I should be able to do your taxes because I'm an accountant. Not really realistic, and if you take a look at the medical industry there are plenty of doctors and nurses out there that do not know these things. Until you have personal experience in it you dont really learn it. I do not blame the OP for feeling attacked here. She is new, new to this site and new to nutrition and how to improve herself. She made a mistake, she believed claims that were a bad idea, she trusted the wrong people and they let her down. Now she needs to learn where to go for good information how to change her diet for the good. How to make a lifestyle change. This is scary, and she needs our support. She is here, she is asking questions, and while you may believe she is making excuses, I actually believe she just doesnt know yet how to deal with her perceived obstacles. She needs tools, not tough love or criticism.