Weight lifting with lots of body fat to losE

Options
2»

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thank u for ur reply. :) my weight that's still left is my wrry bcuz I don't want to start lifting and stay at how thick I look. I would assume if I can get down to 112 that even lifting I'd have some weight to lose so I was just curious about it. Thanx for ur help

You will not get bulky at all! In fact, you'll be leaner and more toned!! Take a look at some of the pics on the Eat More to Lose Weight group. Most of those ladies lift heavy weights and they are not bulky at all. They are toned, sculpted and sexy!!
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    A great starter workout can be found on bodybuilding.com.. it is Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer. The best part it is free!
    Totally awesome program! I am doing her program and I love it. Its simple to understand, great recipes and you will see results!! I lost 6 inches overall during the first Phase, no weight but since then the weight is dropping!! I will measure again for the second month next week. I will also have my body fat anaylzed too!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am truly becoming a believer in lifting heavy too. I can't decide whether to do the NROLFW or the Jamie Eason program. I have Jillian Michael's Body Revolution...but too much jumping around for me right now. I just need to find something and stick with it! I want to lose 12 lbs (first goal) and then see where I am and evalate. Just not sure how to get there....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So I'm about 16 pounds from ideal weight and would really like to incorporate heavy strength training. All of u have all these amazing results with lifting.. How far were u from goal? Of it was 10 or more did u actually lose weight on scale or added muscle only. I ask bcuz I have these arms that r still a Lil fatty and I can usually get small arms and shoulders so I don't know if I should just get skinny (by losing weight first) then lifting After OR lift now to start toning but will I lose fat if it's kinda a lot (just had baby)

I'm struggling with the same decision. I'm about 20 pounds from goal, and cardio is still working for me, but I've started incorporating a very small amount of core and strength training in. I really, REALLY want to get rid of the fat before I proceed (I'm the type of person who likes to finish a goal), but I think once I'm down where I want to end up I'll accept a gain to build some muscle for long-term caloric burn.

I'm 40+. I'll never have a 6-pack, but I'll settle for a better-looking keg. LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is best to start right away and work up to heavy weights. the reason for this is as you lose weight you tend to lose lean muscle as well as fat. By starting strength training right away you will retain more of your muscle and be a lower bf% at your goal weight you would otherwise would be. That and it is much easier maintaining lean muscle in a deficit, then it is to rebuild what you lost after the fact.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Start... NOW! You'll feel great besides all the weight bonus.. believe me! Enjoy the journey!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So I'm about 16 pounds from ideal weight and would really like to incorporate heavy strength training. All of u have all these amazing results with lifting.. How far were u from goal? Of it was 10 or more did u actually lose weight on scale or added muscle only. I ask bcuz I have these arms that r still a Lil fatty and I can usually get small arms and shoulders so I don't know if I should just get skinny (by losing weight first) then lifting After OR lift now to start toning but will I lose fat if it's kinda a lot (just had baby)

I'm struggling with the same decision. I'm about 20 pounds from goal, and cardio is still working for me, but I've started incorporating a very small amount of core and strength training in. I really, REALLY want to get rid of the fat before I proceed (I'm the type of person who likes to finish a goal), but I think once I'm down where I want to end up I'll accept a gain to build some muscle for long-term caloric burn.

I'm 40+. I'll never have a 6-pack, but I'll settle for a better-looking keg. LOL

Please be aware that to lose the most amount of body fat as a %, it is best to have a slight caloric deficit (a goal of 0.5 to 1lb/week rate of loss), and no cardio is needed at all, but strength training is to maintain the muscle you already have.

All cardio does is for fat loss is allow you to eat more and maintain the same caloric deficit you could have got from diet alone. Cardio has a host of other benefits but fat loss is not one of them, that is purely based on a caloric deficit (which you can get from diet alone or a combo of diet and cardio)
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    delete me
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    edit..mistake post
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue to say what everyone's been saying: You won't bulk up, but lifting is very beneficial.
    Plus, (I don't know if this is just me), but it's way more enjoyable than other exercises. It makes me feel like the She-Hulk, ready to go kick some butt!!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70pounds

Still about 55ish more to go

I lift and still lose. so go for it. . .

Off topic... Congratulations on the fantastic weight loss!!!! Keep up the great work! If you can lose 70, you darned sure can lose 55!