Can too much cardio kill your metabolism?

Options
I met up with an old friend today who used to be a cardio bunny/group ex'er like me. She since started training to be in fitness competitions and it's teeny tiny/very low body fat. She said that too much cardio can kill your metabolism and that that is probably why I can't lose any weight. I teach 10 strength/cardio classes a week. I never heard of this before. Has anyone else? It sucks because unless I give up my classes/job, I'm stuck where I am.

Replies

• KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    i hope you get some replies! im curious if that is true now! could be the reason im not losing weight either :/
  • Makers72
    Makers72 Posts: 65
    Options
    You need to make sure you are eating some major calories to compensate for all of the cardio classes.

How many cals that is? Im not sure. Get a bodybugg and see how many calories you burn in a week compared to how much you take in.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes if you aren't eating enough.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, you already know what my metabolic test showed. That I was overtraining and my metabolism was basically going backwards--grrrrr! Whereas my body use to burn about 50% carbs/sugar and 50% fat (good), it now burns about 93% carbs/sugar (bad). Since I'm eating the same, getting the same amount of sleep etc... we are attributing it to overtraining.

Not sure if I'm buying this but I'm cutting back this month on my cardio (except I'm still in training for a half marathon) and will see if the results change. So weird to think that too much exercise might be hurting and not helping.

Would love to hear other people's opinions on this matter as well!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    It can happen. Saying that, diet and exercise combined has a protective effect on body composition and raises metabolic rate in general, but if someone is consuming low calories and over train on aerobic exercise, generally experience fast weight loss and a slower metabolism, with lean body mass loss as well. Adaptive thermgenesis basically is kicking in protecting fat stores.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's. True.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. Did you start lifting yet. Many of us told you many time to start lifting and eating more
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It does. Cardio trains your body to work more efficiency - that's why you burn fewer calories doing the same activity over time.

Lifting heavy and adding LBM raises your metabolism because it requires more calories to maintain muscle than fat.

There you go - question answered.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. Too much stress of any kind does bad things to hormones and hormones control metabolism. Stress raises cortisol and cortisol and progresterone fight for the same receptors. This can lead to estrogen dominance in females and this can cause all sorts of problems.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating at your BMF TDEE for a good 2 weeks to reset your metabolism?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to add in lifting heavy right now. Sorry. If I drop some classes...then maybe. I have a BMF with a TDEE average of 28-2900 a day. I eat around 2200 a day, so I'm eating a good amount. :-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to add in lifting heavy right now. Sorry. If I drop some classes...then maybe. I have a BMF with a TDEE average of 28-2900 a day. I eat around 2200 a day, so I'm eating a good amount. :-)

Try eating the 2800 for two weeks. Theoretically this means you'd maintain your weight, which is what you are doing anyway, so what can it hurt?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    That's pretty ridiculous. However, if you are teaching that many classes and you aren't keeping your calories up to match, that would be the way to kill your metabolism.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    cardio is king .......
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do at least 90 minutes of cardio at least 6 days a week. I've lost 3+ pounds a week consistently for three months and am approaching my ideal weight. I doubt it's the cardio that is the causing your problem. You have to be wary of propaganda from weight lifters and body builders who bash cardio. Most of the time it seems that they don't like doing cardio and thus come up with reasons why people shouldn't do it.

If cardio killed your metabolism then serious cyclists and runners would have weight issues.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got
    which I understand, but my problem is it's my job. I'm a stay at home mom, and teaching group ex is how I help contribute monetarily so it's not like I'm just putting my foot down to be stubborn. I stop the classes, I stop the income.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I do at least 90 minutes of cardio at least 6 days a week. I've lost 3+ pounds a week consistently for three months and am approaching my ideal weight. I doubt it's the cardio that is the causing your problem. You have to be wary of propaganda from weight lifters and body builders who bash cardio. Most of the time it seems that they don't like doing cardio and thus come up with reasons why people shouldn't do it.

If cardio killed your metabolism then serious cyclists and runners would have weight issues.
    She was actually a cardio queen. Did tons of running/spinning etc. Once she stopped and just did 4 or 5 workouts a week of lifting primarily she dropped lots of weight/became very lean/muscular. So I dunno...with her it worked.
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    since ur a sahm can you by weights from the store and do it at home 30 mins 3xs a week that might help. it may not be an hour but 30 mins when u drop the kids off or before you go to bed. It helps evert little counts
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    since ur a sahm can you by weights from the store and do it at home 30 mins 3xs a week that might help. it may not be an hour but 30 mins when u drop the kids off or before you go to bed. It helps evert little counts
    I actually teach Bodypump 4 times a week which is barbell/strength training, so I'm good on weights! :-))))