Female lifters: YOU WILL NOT LOOK THIS WAY!

Options

Replies

• sar123bear
    sar123bear Posts: 81
    Options
    love this thread :heart:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who does not want to lift heavy thinks they will get like that

I don't think she suggested, anywhere in her post...that they did.

Additionally, I don't think she ever told anyone they had to do anything...and if she did, she certainly couldn't enforce it.

I don't recall saying she did.

I had edited my post...for the record. But regardless...by coming into a thread about the benifits of something...which is designed to dispell a prevalent myth regarding the results, that's what you implied.

I was just giving my opinion,I can't help how anyone takes it

I know, and you have that right...just as I did to make a counter point.

It's all good :).
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting heavy. Do you need a spoter or are you ladies doing this alone? I don't have a gym buddy and I kinda like it that way due to my schedule but if I need one I'll have to find one. What would be the best book to buy so I can get this started? I'm already eating Paleo.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it not look like her head belongs on that body? I almost looks like it was superimposed on a picture of a guy.

Agreed!! she looks so masculine!!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love how people assume other women would not want to look like the woman in those photos. Or even somewhat her. Is it that hard to believe that a woman would prefer looking "buff" or "ripped" to looking "lean and toned?"

Which is exactly what my post is NOT about... If you want to look like her, GREAT!! Have those goals and work hard! I'm just trying to dispel this myth I keep hearing about getting super crazy bulky from lifting heavy... and when so many people are not seeing the results they want from endless hours of cardio.. they keep asking what they're missing....

"LIFT HEAVY! RUN HARD!" =D
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    good to know cuz i started lifting heavy and I LOVE IT
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    WTF..., I hope not. :noway:

I lift heavy now, but looking like that is not my goal.

BTW, Great post! :drinker:
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting heavy. Do you need a spoter or are you ladies doing this alone? I don't have a gym buddy and I kinda like it that way due to my schedule but if I need one I'll have to find one. What would be the best book to buy so I can get this started? I'm already eating Paleo.

I usually lift alone.. Know your limits.. if you don't know, discover them. take one day in the gym to find your maxes (I really suggest a spotter for this).. or just start out small.. if you can do 15 reps of a certain weight, try going up, when you are really pushing yourself to do 3x10s or 4x8s (or whatever you want to accomplish) you know that's about what you can do.. work on that til you know you can do more and keep upping it.. When my BF is in the gym with me, I'll have him spot my squats so I can get a few more reps in at the end... =)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a believer Eat More 2 Weigh Less and LIFT HEAVY TOO!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not entirely true tho for us broader upper bodied chics.. My frame is broad up top and smaller on my lower half.. and I bulk up easy on top which I can easily look like a body builder chic which I am tryin so hard to stay away from no joke.. I am trying to build a bigger lower body and lean out my top half... AND FOR ALL YOU SMALLER FRAMED GIRLS YEA YOU DONT/WONT BULK UP AS EASY AS GIRLS WITH BODIES LIKE MINE.. I WOULD BE A PERFECT BODY BUILDER BUT I WOULD NOT WANT TO LOOK LIKE THAT CUZ TO ME ITS NASTY.. :/
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I usually lift alone.. Know your limits.. if you don't know, discover them. take one day in the gym to find your maxes (I really suggest a spotter for this).. or just start out small.. if you can do 15 reps of a certain weight, try going up, when you are really pushing yourself to do 3x10s or 4x8s (or whatever you want to accomplish) you know that's about what you can do.. work on that til you know you can do more and keep upping it.. When my BF is in the gym with me, I'll have him spot my squats so I can get a few more reps in at the end... =)

This.

Additionally, there are other ways you can lift heavy aside from barbell work (though barbell work is probably the most effective). I prefer a solid 5x5...at my max weight I can complete them (and I don't have a spotter). I don't even KNOW my 1 rep max lol. Additionally the rack at my gym is always completely packed...if I waited for it I'd never get my workout in. Because of this I use dumbbells mostly. I also like that I have to stabilize heavy weights with each arm specifically.

I would like to get back to barbell work eventually though (or at least begin alternating every couple weeks). There are very real differences in the end, and both have something to offer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's a shame they chose the most ridiculous-looking clothes they could to put her into, especially the frilly red undies.

The Fred Flintstone "dress" was most unfortunate. :frown: I wouldn't tell her that to her face, though.

Speaking of face, she IS very pretty.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just started NROLFW 2 weeks ago. I have only lost .5 pounds BUT I have lost a total of 7.5 inches on my body and my arms have become more defined already. I am loving lifting and wish I would have started it sooner!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Awesome advice!!
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump for reading material later & the good tips!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If you're looking for a routine and starting point, you can check out http://stronglifts.com . The routine is free, so no book to buy.

If you want more, or just prefer a book for whatever reason, there's New Rules of Weightlifting and it's sibling, New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, and Starting Strength.

I'm currently doing StrongLifts without a buddy/spotter, though I do have access to a rack, which can help with confidence, if nothing else.
  • sjackson1717
    Options

Thank you so much! Have you read any books on this or did you just learn from your experiences or other people?
  • sjackson1717
    Options

If you're looking for a routine and starting point, you can check out http://stronglifts.com . The routine is free, so no book to buy.

If you want more, or just prefer a book for whatever reason, there's New Rules of Weightlifting and it's sibling, New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, and Starting Strength.

Thanks!

I'm currently doing StrongLifts without a buddy/spotter, though I do have access to a rack, which can help with confidence, if nothing else.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Girls.. Lifting heavy will will get you lean and toned, and give you the body you want...

I don't have a problem with lifting, but lifting won't "give me the body I want". Unless there's a lift that will make my huge gut shrink to flatness, I'm stuck with what my parents gave me.

I'm battling weight genes, so I gotcha!

However, I have had 7 kids and since I've been lifting heavy, that belly IS going away. It's not happening overnight or in a week, but it's happening. I see my waist actually in the right spot. It is totally possible!! We really CAN do anything we set our minds to and it's freaking amazing!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I have gotten smaller. Slowly inch by inch I am getting smaller the heavier I lift.

I love weight lifting now!