I can't believe it!!!

REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
This is what a friend just wrote to me in an email

"Im starting my new diet today and it consists of me eating not much really... Sounds silly but im just gna have banana for lunch"

Ive tried to explain to her that this will put her body into starvation mode but i don't think she gets it, she just wants results, fast. It frustrates me so much when people have this attitude to dieting because the results don't last and it can damage your body!

Replies

• REB89
    This is what a friend just wrote to me in an email

"Im starting my new diet today and it consists of me eating not much really... Sounds silly but im just gna have banana for lunch"

Ive tried to explain to her that this will put her body into starvation mode but i don't think she gets it, she just wants results, fast. It frustrates me so much when people have this attitude to dieting because the results don't last and it can damage your body!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Heh...
    Maybe sign her up to MFP and show all the posts for newbies? Or just print them and give her to read... Especially the one about 700cals and not loosing.
    I know people can be stubborn but good luck :flowerforyou:
  • REB89
    i just don't think she gets it, i've treid to explain that she will ruin her metabolism and stuff and this was her response

"I will be fiiiine! .... And do my excerise videos! I just feel so determined today and i feel not hungry aswell lol i am going to be realllllllllllllllllly thin!!!"

I just think it's a dangerous attitude for her to have, especially since she has battled an eating disorder in the past. How do you get throught o someone who doesn't want to listen?!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Probably she will give up in a week or so and then you can try to explain the problem again :wink:

That's really difficult...

Send her links to some articles about metabolism etc and I think that's all you can do now :ohwell:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    i just don't think she gets it, i've treid to explain that she will ruin her metabolism and stuff and this was her response

"I will be fiiiine! .... And do my excerise videos! I just feel so determined today and i feel not hungry aswell lol i am going to be realllllllllllllllllly thin!!!"

I just think it's a dangerous attitude for her to have, especially since she has battled an eating disorder in the past. How do you get throught o someone who doesn't want to listen?!

unfortunately rebecca, we can't force everyone to do it in a healthy way (I have learned the hard way). All you can do is give them the facts that you feel they should know, and let them make their own decision. I guess you could tell her that if it doesn't work for her, you have a great site to show her that may help. but we can't make someone eat right. When asked a question (on here or otherwise), I usually just do my best to get the facts that they need, present them, and (if warrented) give them an opinion on it, then let them make the decision. If they don't want to follow that advice, there's not much else we can do for them.
  • REB89
    unfortunately rebecca, we can't force everyone to do it in a healthy way (I have learned the hard way). All you can do is give them the facts that you feel they should know, and let them make their own decision. I guess you could tell her that if it doesn't work for her, you have a great site to show her that may help. but we can't make someone eat right. When asked a question (on here or otherwise), I usually just do my best to get the facts that they need, present them, and (if warrented) give them an opinion on it, then let them make the decision. If they don't want to follow that advice, there's not much else we can do for them.

I do know that I guess it's just so hard when it is someone that you care about and you want to help them. I guess i've given her the facts and I will just have to let her find out on her own and i'll just be here if she wants advice. Everyone on MFP has given me such good advice and I just wish that she would be able to benefit from it oo but maybe she will come around in her own time. I hope so anyway!