• SgtLRob87
    SgtLRob87 Posts: 11
    Options
    agreed
  • SgtLRob87
    SgtLRob87 Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to do this as a child.

Please don't take him to a doctor, my mum did so and I spent two years on a child's weight loss research program that made me feel like I had an illness and enforced my low self esteem.

He's probably doing it because he can get away with it - I used to take food from the cupboards not because I was hungry but because I could, I was bored and it was there.

Stop having it in the house and promote some healthy family activity like bike riding or a family football game
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks to everyone again. I really appreciate it. I am going to ponder on some of the things I am reading and see what is best. But let me respond to the questions ask here:

Its great that you are aware that this issue needs addressing, and your concern shows your a fab mum. there are so many things to consider, without the focus having to be on locking up cupboards;
    1. he is a growing boy - maybe he is going through a growth spurt and be genuinely hungry. you talk about him 'stealing' the food - do you have a rule about him not taking food when he wants it? are you providing enough food to sustain him through the day? also, have you noticed if he eats breakfast? im a teacher and a huge majority of my big boys come to school without breakfast and then eat rubbish because they are then starving during the day. i also know of a huge number of boys who dont eat lunch at school cos 'its not cool' - check when/what he is eating.
    2. don't compare him to his siblings - i am the middle sister - i am 5ft6 and battled with weight all my life, my sisters are both over 6ft and gorgeous size 10s(uk). comparison will just make the matter worst. you're trying to fight genetics.
    3. have you thought about WHY he is eating? mental health is so important. if we are not mentally strong, we can not possibly fight the food demons. is he happy? are you sure he isnt being bullied at school? after all, i'd say for a huge majority of us on this site, whilst genetics play a huge part, there is often something behind our eating. and it inevitably leads to low self esteem. do you spend enough quality time listening to your son? and remember that with boys we have to listen carefully for the full meaning!! is he choosing to spend his time with a computer and tv, rather than his mates, for a reason?
    4. i think you need to consider the messages that you and your husband give out about food - think about the things you say and do around eating. are you demonstrating a negative relationship with food that he has observed all his life? what eating behaviours have you taught him? you need to be modelling good healthy eating patterns too.
    Hope these ideas help. Like a few other posts have said, dealing with weight issues is such a fragile area. i think you need to be really careful about making a huge issue of it. i would put the information out there, but it has to be his choice to deal with this. Good luck :)

1. Yes, he is a growing boy, but both my husband and I aren't tall and he has my husband build and of course both our tendencies to be overweight. And yes he does know he isn't just supposed to get snacks, except for fruits. When he goes to school he gets to slices of bread to school and has 2 slices in the morning for breakfast, so yes he does eat breakfast. I know for sure he does, because i am there. We cycle to school every day, so he gets some moving there too. for a snack in the morning he always has a piece of fruit, this can be an apple, banana, or grapes, or mandarines.

2. You are absolutely right, I wouldn't compare him. Well in my head of course I do at times, but never to him or his siblings, that wouldn't be right.

3. He does have friends and goes out to play, but once he is going to the ones in our neighbourhood, I don't always know if he is inside then, or outside.

I had a private message from someone and I gave a bit more of an explantion about him to her, so I will copy that bit here too:

My daughter was bullied at one of her schools, not beat up badly or something like that, but words, attitude. It was bad enough, since we changed school for it. So i took her out of that school, but also had to take the boys out of that school. And from the start I felt it would be the hardest for my middle son, Joshua. He was 8 then. So I took him seperate and explained it. He cried and found it hard. He settled in though. At some point I did find out other kids found him a bit weird at times. He is 11 and doesn't always act like an 11 year old. He is more playful and loving, loves his cuddles. Sometimes he really annoys his sister, by making weird sounds, just squealing or something. Maybe he is emotionally just a little behind, I don't know. It isn't bothersome to me really, he just does this occasionally. Usually I just tell his sister to stop telling him to stop it. Let me handle it. I know he doesn't behave like that at school, I asked him. What kids find strange, is that he likes Mickey Mouse, and that stuff. He loves to play his DS and can talk forever to you about a certain DS Game, especially Mario. So I tell him, not to do that all the time. But besides that he just has to stay who he is, but just watch it a little. Anyways, he was being called names, lazy, Joshua Bacteria, etc. So he told me about this and I asked him who did that and what happened. And he said that the teacher got the director of the school into it and she had a talk in the class. And she is keeping an eye on it. And of course I am too, I ask him at times how school went. They had break this week, so will see how it goes after that.

4. You are right, not sure what kind of message he is getting from my husband in that sense, because he is out most of the day working. He definitely is getting wrong messages from me, since I am overweight. Which I have tried to work on before, which he knows about. And now I am working at it again. He knows I go to the gym again and the days that I don't, that I do Wii fit plus or some other thing for the Wii. So I am letting him do that from today on as well. So I hope from now on, I hope gets the message. I know he used to drink loads of milk a day, called him the milkmonster. He doesn't do that as much now, but he was drinking juice a lot, not liters or anything, but I told him today, that he doesn't always have to drink juice or milk (not sure how much milk a day is healthy). But that he can also drink water, so I hope he will continue to do that. I will surely keep an eye on it.

Thanks again so much. I am so happy that I have a place to ask about this now. It helps. I am not decided on contacted a dietician yet, but if I am going to email about me, I might just ask her a few questions about him, without him being there.

Sorry that it became such a long post. Going to bed now.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have some of the same issues with my 12 year old son who is on the autism spectrum. He is always hungry but as far as I know he doesn't sneak food but he does pile up on large amounts of food when we are not around to watch him. He tells us about the food so I don't think he comphrends it when we talk about healthy eating. My son isn't into sports either but did like some of the fitness classes the Y is/was offering. I said it like that because the classes haven't been reliable with the instructors showing up.my son was taught how to use the cardio and strenth training machines but jumps around quite a bit. It's not the ideal situation but it at least gets him moving. I did take my son to the doc and tests were ran and there isn't a known cause for his wanting food all the times. Good luck.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i dont know how old your son is
    but im from a generation who didn't had a choice.... if my parents decided i was going to tennis lessons...i would go

now times have changed... but you could give your son a choice between some sport...as long as he chooses 1.
    because i think that if you focus too much on food, it can become frustrating and it can backlash.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if he likes to eat in secret (i know how good that feels) do it with him, but healthily
    like call him when he does not expect and share a nice ripe mango with him.
    or make fruit salad....share that excitement with him and at the same time educate him. show that healthy is nice too.
    (he will grow out of that james bond phase)

and dont buy sweets at all for at home, only as a reward like after sports (tennis or whatever), on the way home you can buy something small (in moderation)
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    What sort of sports have you tried him in and do you know what he doesn't like?
    Personally, I was a really clumsy and sensitive kid, so I hated group sports since the other kids would get mad at me for missing goals. As an adult however, I've found that I do enjoy individual exercise.
    Maybe you could start having family walks after dinner. There are also other active non-group sports that boys that age tend to like. For instance, you could encourage him to take up skateboarding/ mountain biking, sign him up for swimming lessons, get him involved in hip hop dance classes, etc. If you or your husband have a gym membership, you might also be interested in seeing if he'd like to tag along. You'd have to watch that he doesn't hurt himself, but teenage boys tend to like things like lifting weights.
    He might also just be going through a growth phase. As a kid, I tended to really plump up before a major growth spurt.
    Hope I helped :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I started sneaking food about 7. It was the start of my being an emotional eater. I don't know what the answer is to break him of the habit, but maybe focusing on his emotional needs would be a good place to start. Make sure he feels heard, understood and valued. Get him to talk about what he's feeling rather than getting that emotional need met through food. Help him understand that while food is important and enjoyable, it's not for soothing hurt, it's not a friend, it's not a reward, it's not love, it's not comfort, it's not the answer to boredom. Then find something active that he likes to do. Something that is his, or his and yours or his and your husband's, but something different than what his siblings are into so he won't be compared to them. That can be problematic if he tires more quickly or isn't as skilled or as fast. Good luck!
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    As for the milk thing... as much as he wants in OK... calcium only supports bones significantly until 19 or 20 years old... getting in as much as possible is always good ! Have him drink water ... he might be drinking juice that is not 100% or even if it is that's a treat or a once a day thing not the primary source of hydration. He may be buying crap food at school as well... have you asked him about that?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I would take him to a psych doc. My daughter had hording issues and it had to do with her time before me, My oldest ran away from home at 9, not to escape his dad and I, but to escape the wacko teacher who had called him a lier for producing an amazing science project (he's got a genius IQ). While I'm not saying this is your son's case, I am saying that if he has some fear you don't know about (death, abandonment, and bullying come to mind), a professional should have a much easier time figuring it out.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I did that as a child........... I was depressed and lonely. And also the middle child.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How old is he? A lot of boys have a very sudden and fast growth spurt and weight gain. Sometimes the weight gain comes first. He might have a growth spurt coming, and so his body might need the energy from all the extra food. If he is around that age, I'd just try to encourage him to play more sports and to replace his extra snacks with healthier food.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would definately ban candy/crisp and any other junk food snack from the house. And I'd get loads of fruit and healthy cereal bars etc in the house.

^^^^ THIS!! You don't have to keep junk food in the house just because children like it.... it's empty calories. I know that kids like that stuff and mine will have an odd pudding cup or bag of baked chips on occasion, but I only buy enough for one serving, right then. I do not keep that junk in my house or I would be eating it left and right and so would they. Kids can grow up without that stuff and be perfectly happy and satisfied. Perhaps this child has a problem processing protein and feels hungry all the time. My son used food as a coping mechanism for his ADHA and Bi-polar disorder. He started gaining weight rapidly and was trying to find some sort of mental comfort in food. After he was diagnosed and started treatment for his mental conditions, he wasn't hungry like that anymore - even without his meds... he just said he didn't need all that food anymore and wanted bananas and milk and brussel sprouts instead of candy and junk.
  • Jennas2012
    Jennas2012 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would also suggest the trip to the doctor. I have 2 daughters that are 13 and 14. My younger one is thin as a rail but she rarely sits around she is either in the front yard practicing her tumbling (which she just got her first layout! Im so proud she did it without training) or she is running around doing something the child cant sit still to save her life. my older one now is not so much lazy but more into tv, music and pc games. she has put on a few lbs over this winter and i know with bathing suit season coming the fight is on between me and her on what is appropriate and what "fits" her. I just told her last night that while in no way is she over weight and in no way does she need to lose weight, if she wants to start yoga in order to get the leaner muscles that i would support that. She really could lose a few lbs but i would never say that to her cause i dont want her to develop any eating disorders or give her a complex. I told her that if she did yoga just 3 times a week her muscles would get stronger and she would get the leaner look she wants. She has a very athletic body and she does not like it.

Anyways thats just how i dealt with the issue. I hope this helps. Good Luck
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was the fat kid that snuck food. I did it becuase when I ate I felt better/it made me happy. My parents always said go out and exercise but never did things with me. Is there thing you can do together? Find something he will enjoy and encourage him to do it. Celerbrate all the small victories about him and let him know your proud of him. If you keep yelling or talking to about the food issue he may get depresses and will eat more.

Good Luck!
  • cerealqueen
    cerealqueen Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't ban unhealthy foods!! This happened to me as a child and I still ate junk food but in secret... and soon food became associated with guilt. I felt like I couldn't tell my parents about my secret eating so I would eat all the same food as my family and then junk food in between meals. I would hide the wrappers and throw them out in secret. I used to buy food on my way home from school and eat it before I got home so my parents would never know. If I hadn't felt so restricted as a child I feel that I would not have had such an unhealthy relationship with food whilst growing up.
    I would suggest letting your son eat unhealthy food but in moderation and try to encourage more active hobbies - sport etc. It's better this way so you can keep an honest and open relationship about food as well as other things.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny kid but snuck food because my dad thought I was fat and he didn't want me to have anything sweet (even though he had cookies and ice cream every day). So I caution making a big deal out of your son doing it. Sort of like when kids break the rules, forbidding it will make it worse.

Oh, I have 2 kids, 19, and 14.

What about helping him make something to snack on that is healthier and filling, like a protein smoothie? Search the boards here for cheesecake cake batter smoothie. My daughter LOVES them and t her it's better than getting a shake from McDonald's. She feels like she's getting something 'naughty' when it's really healthy and filling.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do not buy junk food. You are the adult, you (along with your husband) make the decisions about what foods you eat. If he is sneaking junk foods, don't have them in the house. You also need to get him more exercise. Find a sport he may be interested in, or just have him play outside. Make healthy changes for your whole family and your whole family will be healthy.