Help with a crazy sweet tooth

Options
So... my downfall is sugar, and above that is chocolate. I've been down with an injury for a month now, and that month included Easter of all things. I started gaining weight because I couldn't run and I was eating so much chocolate. I still have some leftover but I haven't touched it since I started tracking myself on here again. Right now I have a bad headache, whether it's form the weather rolling in or a side effect from the anti-inflammatories I have to take for my injury, I have no idea. But, usually when I get a headache I go to the chocolate. Lately I've started chewing the strawberry shortcake Extra gum and it HAS helped. Maybe that's just what I need to do.

Replies

• HeatherDerexson
    HeatherDerexson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the Snackwells snack packs, Nature Valley granola thins w/chocolate on the bottom or Fiber One makes a a really good 90calorie bar thats pretzels, chocolate and caramel. All of the above give you your chocolate fix for not many calories. Hang in there girlie. I've had my fair share of sports related injuries, one last weekend as a matter of fact. Being out of commission is hard but try to be strong and remember if your going to head for the chocolate to go for something thats slightly healthy w/chocolate in it and drink plenty of water!!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs are nice, sometimes, I like to have 1/2 a serving of nutella. It helps the sweet tooth, and the 1/2 serving is 100 calories. It's a bit steep, really, but it helps a lot!
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Diet Swiss miss Hot Chocolate!!! It seriously saves me every time. It's only 25 calories, and it is amazzzing! It will solve your sweet tooth problem; I promise :-)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and Pepsi. That's been some of the most difficult items for me to give up. I've found that sometimes it's best to just eat a little of what you are craving and move on. Make sure to record it in your food diary to see how many calories, etc you are eating. A little here and there never hurt.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    Why don't you try the Snackwells snack packs, Nature Valley granola thins w/chocolate on the bottom or Fiber One makes a a really good 90calorie bar thats pretzels, chocolate and caramel. All of the above give you your chocolate fix for not many calories. Hang in there girlie. I've had my fair share of sports related injuries, one last weekend as a matter of fact. Being out of commission is hard but try to be strong and remember if your going to head for the chocolate to go for something thats slightly healthy w/chocolate in it and drink plenty of water!!

I totally agree with this....but I would like to add that I will mix up a chocolate protein shake (Isoflex) which give me not only my chocolate fix, but protein and water consumption as well.
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Chocolate containes caffaine, which can both help a headache or bring one on depending on the circumstances.

I suffer from Migraines and if I have had too much caffaine (which is rare these days as I am not a coffee drinker and have cut out soda for the past several years) it can trigger my headache. Also when I do have a headache and absolutely nothing else works (with the exception of prescription drugs), I will resort to having a small fountain coke to see if it will do the trick before giving in to the prescription drugs. It usually does :~)

If you do resort to chocolate you might try dark chocolate, which has better health aspects, but still probably not the best choice for your sedentary condition right now.

With that said, I can't help you with sweet cravings as I am often in the same exact position. I have found the dessert Yoplait Light yogurts do seem to help my mind think I have had sweets and my cravings often subside.

Good luck and I will be watching this thread to see what others say as although our circumstances are different, our issue is the same.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar can get rid of your sugar cravings (but it tastes bad). 3T ( take it like a shot) followed by a glass of water (I recommend a LARGE glass of water), 2-3 x day.

ACV also fights candida (yeast) in the gut, which is a major cause of sugar cravings.

good luck.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello by the bucket full. That's my recommendation. Very low cal (entire box is 40 cals), filling, & sweet. Is it as good as chocolate? No, but not much is! :)

-M
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible, horrible sweet tooth and every night around 8 p.m., it flares up ready to cause trouble. After several months tracking and logging my food, I've learned that if I allow myself any sugar at all, the cravings actually get worse. I used to think, "oh, I'll just have one cookie so I can stop thinking about it." I figured if I let myself indulge, it would stop me from being so OCD about it. What I came to realize though, is I can't stop at just one cookie. Some people can, but that's just not me. If I let myself have one bit of bad sugar, I spiral down, down, down. Artificially sweet foods are just as bad, so I can't rely on those either. Another poster mentioned SnackWells packs, those may work for some but can be equally as dangerous if you eat more than one pack. Plus, who wants to fill their body with artificial chocolate?

Anyways, what I've found is I really have to completely abstain from added sugars for about a week, and then things get easier. I only allow myself to eat natural sugars a.k.a. fruit and that helps. Try having a few strawberries or grapes and a cup of coffee, see if that helps your headache.

I'm still struggling with this myself, and it's not easy. Stick with it, you're already doing great by logging. Try to realize that food can be just as addictive as drugs. I consider my problem with sugar an addiction and like a drug addict, I have to be completely clean and sober of sugar, otherwise all my bad habits will come back.
  • Red7Basil
    Red7Basil Posts: 36
    Options
    I just discovered Kedem Tea Biscuits. They make them in chocolate and in vanilla. They are slightly sweetened and only 32 calories for two biscuits. They are .69 cents a package (a package has 15 servings) and I found them at my local Kroger here in Tennessee in the world foods section. They help with my sweet/carb cravings and do very little damage to my calorie count.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I had such a sweet tooth, but since I started MFP what I've found works best for me
    is to eat healthy during the day and I usually have calories left by afternoon/evening
    (especially if I exercised), I will have a couple of chocolate chip cookies or whatever
    I'm craving and I still am often under my calorie goal. It has helped me since I don't
    see any food as forbidden; just whether I have enough calories left to fit it in. Even
    eating the sweets sometimes, I am losing (although I probably have a lot more to lose).

Also, I like individual servings of cinnamon applesauce and sometimes it satisfies my
    sweet tooth because it tastes really sweet to me.
  • osutuba
    osutuba Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is all awesome advice! Thanks everyone :-)
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sugar free chocolate pudding is my go to. I buy the snack packs...even the jello brand "decadent" flavors come in at about 60-80 cals.
  • robisonfire
    robisonfire Posts: 25
    Options
    This might sound dumb but I find that when I'm really craving something sweet, I brush my teeth. 9/10 times it takes the craving away. I usually get these cravings after dinner around 8-10 pm and this takes care of it for me.
  • osutuba
    Options
    This might sound dumb but I find that when I'm really craving something sweet, I brush my teeth. 9/10 times it takes the craving away. I usually get these cravings after dinner around 8-10 pm and this takes care of it for me.

That helps me with general food cravings sometimes, because I don't like the taste of toothpaste.

This is definitely an adjustment, as I used to turn to some food to settle my stomach, help headaches, etc. I've found that my injured ITB tolerates a bike REALLY well. I was out riding on the trail for an hour today and didn't feel a thing in my knee. Now I just need a cushioned bike seat so I don't feel anything in my butt. LOL
  • rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Jaffa cakes are good, not sure if you have them outside the UK? <50cal each and also have that orangey tang that's really satisfying especially with a coffee :)
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have huge problems with sugar. If I have even a granola bar it can trigger a sugar binge for me. I find that instead of having a small snack pack of a treat (which wil make me go back for the whole box) I do really well if I have fruit for something sweet. Satisfies the sugar craving without making me go back over and over again. My favourites are peaches, strawberries and nectarines.
  • osutuba
    Options
    I have huge problems with sugar. If I have even a granola bar it can trigger a sugar binge for me. I find that instead of having a small snack pack of a treat (which wil make me go back for the whole box) I do really well if I have fruit for something sweet. Satisfies the sugar craving without making me go back over and over again. My favourites are peaches, strawberries and nectarines.

I LOVE peaches :happy:
  • cassiepp4
    cassiepp4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I have finally realized that I am a true sugarholic and cannot have even a little bit. I have been sugar free for 3 or 4 weeks now. It was tough at first, but last night we had a family birthday and I was able to pass up the chocolate birthday cake (which is my favorite dessert of all time).
    I knew if i had even one small piece that it would start me on a binge for sure.