bump
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    bump
  • llmichalek
    llmichalek Posts: 48
    Options
    Ugh I'm completely and totally lost. I need to be rich so I can hire someone to tell me what to eat and what exercise to do. I've been trying to lost this last 10 pounds of baby weight for 6 months with no success at all.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I would love this to be the automatic welcome email that people get when they join mfp!!!!! I was one of those people...I stalled from January to about 2 weeks ago. after I stalled and wanted to cry for 2 months a friend recommended fat2fitradio.com I listened and upped my calories up by 1000 more than I was eating. I ate at that level for about a month, (never gained never lost) when on vacation ate above that maintenance level, came back home reset my calories to 1900, and eat above my bmr every day regardless of exercise or rest day. FINALLY started losing and feel so much better!!!!!!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ok- I have read everyone's post and I just want to confirm for myself:

If My BF% is 46.8% that makes my goal weight 139 (which is lower that what I was shooting for but no biggie)

the Katch-McArdle says my BMR is 1391

The chart I get for lightly active says I need to eat 1939 calories a day

So, I keep doing what I'm doing exercise wise and DON'T eat my exercise calories back? Just stick with the 1939 total?

Is the 1939 my tdee? If so, than if I'm eating this but burning lets say 300 cals, then my deficit is 300 cals a day? Which in turn make it a 2100 deficit per week? Which is not even a pound?

Oh golly! I've been on a plateau for 5 wks now and I really want to get this right.

I'm fairly new to this but didn't want your question to go unanswered. I know how confusing it is when you start.

1939 is your TDEE. That number includes your exercise calories so no, you wouldn't eat them back following this plan.

If you burn 300 then that would be your deficit. The 3,500 cals burned to lose a pound is an estimate. I've had weeks where I lost more when I ate more (that was before I increased my calories).

If I'm wrong someone please correct me. :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused do I use the Katch-McArdle BMR (1342) or the Harris-Benedict BMR (1604)?? Will that affect the TDEE (2130)??
    Becasue the site is telling me the Katch-McArdle is more accurate....but the TDEE is measured based on the Harris-Benedict BMR.....

And that's what confuses the hell out of me.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    Interesting.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've increased my calories (as scary as it was to commmit to doing it). I gained about 2.5 lbs. It took three weeks to come off. I had to keep reminding myself that there was no way I ate enough calories to put on that much weight so quickly. During the three weeks, my clothes fit the same and I actually lost inches. That helped me stay strong.

I haven't done anything differently to make those 2.5 lbs come off. I even increaseed my caloric intake even more during that time since I hadn't wanted to jump up so much all at once when I started.

To anyone who tries this - you have to give it time to work. Not everyone sees results in one week.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I just made a blog post about this
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's it - I'm convinced!

Upping my cals by 200 to start with :-)
  • goffmc
    goffmc Posts: 3
    Options
    bump
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi! Hello there. Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day. Yep, it works. Thank you for your time.

HAHAHA Priceless!!!!

Eat more to lose weight? Really guy? Are you telling me that your great wisdom is so far beyond our time that not even doctors know how our body works? Ask a doctor... To lose weight you simply have to cut your calories down... You don't even need to exercise...

Idiots... listening to personal trainers and nutrionists again... HELLO PEOPLE DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A PERSONAL TRAINER OR A NUTRIONIST? it ain't **** to what you have to do to become a doctor. Who are in fact WAY WAY WAY more knowledgable on how our body works... Go read a book about weight loss that was written by a MEDICAL DOCTOR not some douche who got a PHd. in Computer Sciences...

lol my doc tells me to lower to 1200-1400... maybe hes wrong? This was a few years ago, but you made me giggle!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Look at my newest blog post, plug in your numbers and it will tell you how much to eat.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hello there. Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day. Yep, it works. Thank you for your time.

HAHAHA Priceless!!!!

Eat more to lose weight? Really guy? Are you telling me that your great wisdom is so far beyond our time that not even doctors know how our body works? Ask a doctor... To lose weight you simply have to cut your calories down... You don't even need to exercise...

Idiots... listening to personal trainers and nutrionists again... HELLO PEOPLE DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A PERSONAL TRAINER
    OR A NUTRIONIST? it ain't **** to what you have to do to become a doctor. Who are in fact WAY WAY WAY more knowledg
    able on how our body works... Go read a book about weight loss that was written by a MEDICAL DOCTOR not some douche who got a PHd. in Computer Sciences...
    What i am listening to is my body, and the 100s of success stories right here on this site. Dont believe it? dont want to try it? Then dont. In the meantime i will continue to eat 2500 calories a day. I will continue to drop inches every week. I will continue to lift stronger. In the meantime, you and your low calorie brigade will continue to stall, continue to lose lean muscle. In 2 years time i will be toasting to my continued self and you will be looking for the next fad diet to lose the 30 lbs you put back on.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think that just by eating less than 2,500 calories that everyone will stall. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Got to my goal eating at my tdee. I was sedentary but now I exercise so I just log the cals. Works out to be about the right values on fat2fit at a different activity level but I like to see the exercise.
  • llmichalek
    Options
    Hey all...I see a ton of stories from people who just started upping calories, gained some weight, but are still going to keep on keeping on. I'm having a hard time finding a story from someone whose weight stalled, they upped calories, and here they are 3-4 months later with success and weight loss. Anyone have a story like that? I have been trying to lose this last 10 for 6 months.
  • llmichalek
    Options
    I should clarify...I have seen some stories, but all from people who have lost a LOT of weight. Like, 100 pounds or more. I'm looking for someone in my shoes. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hey all...I see a ton of stories from people who just started upping calories, gained some weight, but are still going to keep on keeping on. I'm having a hard time finding a story from someone whose weight stalled, they upped calories, and here they are 3-4 months later with success and weight loss. Anyone have a story like that? I have been trying to lose this last 10 for 6 months.

there are tons of those stories!