Honestly?

Options

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of seeing unchecked privilege, homophobia, ableism, and fatphobia.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

true. but personally most of MY muscle mass came from competitive swimming and when I gained weight the muscle never went away. I just had to learn how to eat healthy to lose the fat on top of the muscle. I wasn't out of shape long enough for my muscle to waste away. those that are sedentary their whole life probably don't develop this muscle mass.

I guess I'm trying to say that those that are in sports all their life have a higher chance of having a base amount of muscle and fitness than those that have never been active. but like I said before, that is very variable.

Oooo can I have some of your genetics? You must be some exception to the rule?! :smile:
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options

true. but personally most of MY muscle mass came from competitive swimming and when I gained weight the muscle never went away. I just had to learn how to eat healthy to lose the fat on top of the muscle. I wasn't out of shape long enough for my muscle to waste away. those that are sedentary their whole life probably don't develop this muscle mass.

I guess I'm trying to say that those that are in sports all their life have a higher chance of having a base amount of muscle and fitness than those that have never been active. but like I said before, that is very variable.

Oooo can I have some of your genetics? You must be some exception to the rule?! :smile:

Dude! Have you seen those calves in her profile pic? She has some serious muscle mass for a lady. Calves like that don't come from sitting around all day. Just ask the chicken leg guy with the 52" chest in the gym whose working his calves like crazy and getting no where!

BTW: My profile pic, is there with its little message, just because I believe.......
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OP - it's so great to hear from someone who is apparently similiar in body compositin to me! I have never had a problem with muscle mass either... It seems to appear on me like a parasite! :tongue: All my life, I've been muscular and as soon as I do any type of lifting (even manual labouring around the house) within a short time, I start to bulk up! And yet I had several ppl on here tell me I had no idea what I was talking about!! PEOPLE - THIS IS MY BODY I'M TALKING ABOUT!! Wouldn't I know how my body reacts to things? Just because it's aparently not the norm, does that means its entirely impossible?

So - yep... I entirely agree with your rant :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There are some general healthy guidelines that fit most people, but nutrition has a HUGE genetic component. One of the biggest things in nutrition research right now is nutrigenomics. Hopefully in the future there will be the knowledge and technology to customize diets!
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I found out that lifting heavy only seemed to work on lifting heavy and for me higher reps work better.

I have a home GYM so no ego and no busted joints.

Funny when on Holidays I used the resort GYM and some of the heavy lifters form was crap.

Is like diet, if my diet had to be 1005 strict I could not do it, it would no work for ME.

Giving up alcohol does help, it seems I look at a beer and retain water!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from in terms of "Mind your business unless I ask for your opinion" but this is an open style forum and there are much worse people out there offering bad advice.
    I'm happy for all success posted!
    But if I see someone standing in front of a speeding bus i'm going to say something.
    Reason why is because somebody was kind enough to do it for me and show me how this works.
    I pay it forward daily and rarely will you see me complain about free advice.
    You just have to filter and apply whats best for you.
    ;D
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ha! I love it. I'm thankful I'm not the only one who feels that way. I hate all the same questions that you see every day....perhaps that's why the responses are no dang negative, though. How hard is it to click the search button and type in a few key words. It's the same thing over and over again. Not only that, but the advice is the same. Ugh!!!!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of the lack of respect and empathy for people on the threads when someone is different or has an opinion or experience that differs from their own. Just as there is not "one size fits all" way to lose weight, there is no "one size fits all" reason we are all on this website.

exactly! lately, I've notice a huge negative opinion of newbies. We were all newbies at once and didn't understand the forums, how to search, exercise calories etc. I don't understand why anyone would be mean to these people when we were in the same position as them at one point.

EXACTLY!!

I'm a newbie and really thought of leaving this site just for all the negative crap I have seen here......I came for motivation and support ~ not stuff like this on a recent thread:

MAN UP DUDE!

quit whining aND GET BUSY!

strip and look in the mirror.....like what you see?

if yes...then keep doing what you are doing.

if no.....log off the computer and go get sweaty.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I'm a newbie and really thought of leaving this site just for all the negative crap I have seen here......I came for motivation and support ~ not stuff like this on a recent thread:

MAN UP DUDE!

How is any of that negative? It's mostly all correct.
  • Mgregory723
    Options

MAN UP DUDE!

You see it as what you what. For me being overweight and hearing that from people just pisses me off and sends me into an emotional tail spin. I needed to hear people say I was worth it, that I can do it, and thanks to my loving hubby who believes in me way more than I do....I am now doing it!! Just saying.....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This post belongs in BB.com/forum.
    At least we are mostly nice here.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think people are extremely over sensitive here. I also always disagree with people eating unecessarily small amounts of food for 2 reasons;

1. This is an open forum, and open for everyone to read - I don't want anyone believing they need to eat at a massive deficit without knowing the assosciated risks.
    2. Eating too little, you lose lean mass as well as fat. Less lean mass, lower BMR. Lower BMR, eat less, lose more lean mass, lower BMR, eat less, lose more lean mass, lower BMR, eat less, lose more lean mass, lower BMR, eat less, lose more lean mass, lower BMR, eat less, lose more lean mass, lower BMR etc.

The whole point about eating more is to maintain your lean mass so once you hit goal, you don't bounce back up in weight because you started eating normally again. I also don't want to become a flabby sack of weaksauce because I'm desperate to lose XXX amount of weight (read; not fat) in XXX period of time.

Also, never feeling hungry is a symptom of metabolic slowdown.
    ---

Specifically to this conversation -
    I am so over the "size fits all" mentality to weight loss. Everyone is different. Everyone gets different results from the same programs. I'm just SO sick of people thinking that "their way" is the RIGHT way. It is all about what works for you.
    You're not different. As in, we're all human, and without the exception of medical conditions our bodies all work the same. The people fuelling their weightloss and fitness with science and maths are generally just trying to help when they rattle off the information you didn't ask for.

I'm personally sick of seeing people being so touchy when given advice. It seems a lot of people aren't really looking for advice, but more for affirmation that what they BELIEVE is right.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Well explain to me why for the past nearly 8 months I'm still going strong on a 1200 cal diet ;)

Same here....I got increased in muscle, less fat and more definition. I have heaps of energy.
    1200 cals works for me- contrary to the cut and paste advice I was given.
    We definitely have to work it out for ourselves.
    Don't believe everything you read!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

MAN UP DUDE!

Yeah, everyone is motivated differently, I like a little tough love. Say to me "hag get yo *kitten* off the damn couch!" and give me a good game will motivate me more than coddling. Saying to me "awe, come on now put the ice cream down and think about moving around a little bit" will do nothing for me. They're not trying to be rude, they're trying to help you.

I never give unsolicited advice, but if you ask a question I'll give you the best answer I have and the best advice I can give. It's not really my fault if the best answer I have and best advice I can give isn't what you want to hear.

I get tired when people can't take a joke, not everything has to require a stern face. In my normal life I have a personality, I joke and have fun and people get upset when you bring this onto the interwebz. Relax and be prepared for normal discourse.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think that the people who have been on here the longest just get tired of re-hashing all the same questions, I.E.
    1) Do I really need to eat back my earned back calories?
    2) Why can't people spell..it's "LOSE" not "LOOSE"--O.M.G. That one get's me every time. Sometimes I just want to write a quick response and don't really care to spell check.
    ETC..

I think there should be a required little tutorial that show's the new ppl where to look for those already answered questions..like a FAQ page, and make sure they read it.

I do not mind helping, but I have one more person tell me how to spell, I will freak out.
    This is supposed to be fun and supportive.
    Let's all try to get along! eh?

God Bless,
    Nicolette

The worst part about this post? There IS an FAQ for new people! Its the stickies on the top of pretty much every section of the forums. If the newbies would BOTHER to read them, maybe there wouldn't be the same question asked 20 times a day. The worst example? When someone asks how to post a picture in the success thread. Its RIGHT THERE.
  • Mgregory723
    Options

MAN UP DUDE!

Yeah, everyone is motivated differently, I like a little tough love. Say to me "hag get yo *kitten* off the damn couch!" and give me a good game will motivate me more than coddling. Saying to me "awe, come on now put the ice cream down and think about moving around a little bit" will do nothing for me. They're not trying to be rude, they're trying to help you.

I never give unsolicited advice, but if you ask a question I'll give you the best answer I have and the best advice I can give. It's not really my fault if the best answer I have and best advice I can give isn't what you want to hear.

I get tired when people can't take a joke, not everything has to require a stern face. In my normal life I have a personality, I joke and have fun and people get upset when you bring this onto the interwebz. Relax and be prepared for normal discourse.

Tough love works for some and not others. "To each his own"
    From the sounds of this person he needed encouragement and support.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    1. Threads going off topic

2. People asking if its okay to eat a candy bar/cookie/burger/slice of pizza

3. People who lift criticizing others who dont and vice versa. If a workout makes you happy, then that workout is for you.

4. People who ask for my advice and don't use it. I take my time to make a plan for individuals who ask for my help and don't even follow it for one day.

5. People telling others to not obsess over the scale while they wear heart rate monitors and monitor every single calorie they burn.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Well explain to me why for the past nearly 8 months I'm still going strong on a 1200 cal diet ;)

Depends on your view of success.
    If weight loss is success for you then great!
    The majority of people who eat low cals without thinking about age, height and body fat, end up losing more lean mass than whats necessary.
    To me success is losing fat and maintaining lean mass or most of the lean mass.
    Its about feeding the basal metabolic needs first, then fueling for any types of training.

Let me ask you this:

If you diet down to your perfect weight, dropping from say 40% Body Fat to 25% body fat, but still have that skinny-fat look....
    How long will it take you to recomp the fat down while building up the lean mass?

Probably the same amount of time it would have taken if you took a slower steadier fat loss program as opposed to a weight loss program.

Congrats on your success thus far but setting your sights on the long term goal and taking a slower approach has shown to work better in the long run with less chance of bounce back.

Food for thought...literally!

So you mean to tell me that because i'm on a 1200 cal diet, I can't lean out?I can't gain muscle? I would like you to tell the muscle I've gain, that. :). I've gained plenty of muscle, I'm stronger now then I've ever been, I'm leaning out just fine. People like you have a mind set that what works for you is suppose to work for everyone else. I'm sorry hunny, but I'm doing just fine, 1200 calories isn't putting me in starvation mode, and it's not causing me to not gain muscle mass or not lean out.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Firstly... I'm on your side - just want to make that clear.....

What I wanted to say is - wait for all the people who will tell you you'll just put all the weight back on and youre losing lean muscle , and you dont have enough fuel for your body and your probably killing your brain and blah blah...

It's the same thing I get told, despite the fact I lift heavy (when I do) and I have enough energy to run a half marathon and 30kms each week - all fine with no problems!!!!

I've been at it all for 2 years, 8 months of steady. I've been told by a lot of closed minded people that I'll gain it all back or that I can't possibly gain muscle or lean out. I guess my results from the 30 day shred is all a lie lol. Then again I've been told my before photo's aren't me. Weight loss and leaning out does a lot of changing on one's body. And I promise you, I refuse to ever go back to that place. I will count calories for the rest of my life, I'm under doctor care who has helped me get this far. Once I get to maintaining, my calories will be up enough to do just that.