Cheat Days- I don't get it

Options
124»

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i do a cheat MEAL every second week. keeps me from being tempted to go over every single day. you can see by my ticker, works for me!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Not only do I lose weight doing this I find it much easier to do so. I mostly follow the Spike diet plan where the general idea is to eat at or under your basic metabolic rate 6 days a week and double it one day a week. The theory is that it keeps your metabolism going by indulging that one day and it helps you stick to a diet the other days knowing that you have a cheat day on the horizon. It's worked wonders for me and now I don't think I'd go back to the old way of dieting if you paid me (ok, maybe if you paid me..lol). I modify it to fit my lifestyle more though. My BMR is around 1500. Mon-Fri when it's pretty easy for me to diet I stay around 1200 calories a day. Saturdays I allow myself a little more leeway and aim for around 1500-1700. And Sundays I don't log and just enjoy mysefl. I lose weight steadily each week doing this and it's very manageable. I try to look at the big picture instead of one day and if over the week you burn more than you take in it won't matter that one day you enjoyed that big, juicy burger. :)
  • tommy1096
    tommy1096 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think if you are new at this cheat days are a serious pitfall. I lost 3 pounds over 6 days , and then gained 2 to 4 pounds over 1 day cheating for about 3 years. I will not cheat until I'm at a maintence weight. Of course everything depends on the individual situation but for me cheat days always cancelled out good days.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. I'd just be cheating myself. I do fit foods into my menu so that I can feel satisfied. [...]

To me, the weird thing about this is not the fact that people will have days when they eat a bit more or "relax" and keep to a less strict diet or splurge, but that it's commonly called a "cheat" day or meal.

It makes perfect sense to me that if you are changing your lifestyle that you don't try to eat exactly the same amount of calories every day for the rest of your life. You need to learn new habits... and when you go to a party, you may eat or drink a bit more, so how do you balance that or how do you fit an occasional high calorie favorite food into your diet. How much do you exercise or how low cal must the rest of your time be to balance out? Playing around with this a bit is part of learning what works for you and how your can live in a fit way. But to call it cheating seems to me to miss the goal of making changes to your life that will help keep your fit for the rest of your life. (Keeping in mind that as other parts of your lifestyle change, you may need to re-adjust the balance.)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The long n short, if you want to have a *insert name of your choice* then do it, if it doesn't work for you then don't if you do it n see no loss then go over what you're doing and reassess what you can do
  • Watchmeshrink21
    Watchmeshrink21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i dont have cheat days, i do have cheat meal only on special days. such as, mothers day i know that day theres going to be a cheat meal and a cheat drink, but i planned on it, i just work extra hard the day before and the day after. I also reward myself when i lose weight, i reward myself with clothes that fit, or a massage, facials, or even body wraps(sometime) i dont reward myself with food, because this isnt a diet for me its a lifestyle change where i want to feel good and look good. =] :happy:. personally if i had a cheat day i probably go insane and have everything that i was craving that week and it would be bad.
  • dfly888
    dfly888 Posts: 8
    Options
    I look at it this way. Every day used to be a cheat day for me! I have cut all those calories by eating right and exercising, so if I have a cheat meal, (which is all I ever have, personal preference), once a week or so, it's okay. Also, my sister keeps telling me that it's the calories over the week, not daily so much. I have a hard time with this, but it's true. Plus, psychologically, for me, I find that "cheating" once in awhile get my metabolism going. Or maybe it really does.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think that 'cheat day' doesn't mean a whole day of gorging, but more a day that you may have something that you haven't had while keeping track of your diet. I haven't had pizza in 4 months, yet I still can't make myself eat any. I know that my body would rebel if I ate my 'old me' servings. So I believe a day that you pick to go out for a nice dinner, or shopping with friends and stopping for ice cream isn't going to hurt anything. I would find life and myself a complete bore if I obsessed 24/7. living healthy is good for you. But between birth and death there is a whole lot of living to do...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I save up my cals for days I know I'm going to be eating a lot. But then it's not really cheating...
    Idk I guess I think of cheat days less in terms of calories and more in terms of the nutrition content of my food
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me its all psychological. If i tell myself i cant ever ever have endulgences then it makes me want them even more. But if i set that 1 day a week then i dont feel like i cant never have it again and because i have the option once a week i still tend to choose healthy food because i feel like "i could if i want to but i dont want to". That probably doesnt make sense but telling myself i can if i want to once a week is just reverse psychology for me.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For a former over-eater like me, a cheat day is an excuse for an all out binge, which then can get out of control, and become a cheat week, with all the ugly body feelings, and emotions of the past.

I don't need that behaviour problem back in my life, no thank you.

If I want chocolate, chips, burger, anything, I'll work a small amount into my calorie count for the day. I can have these any time I want, IF I want. I'm never deprived.

If I need to feel full, I'll make a vegetable stew, or ratatouille.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

To me, the weird thing about this is not the fact that people will have days when they eat a bit more or "relax" and keep to a less strict diet or splurge, but that it's commonly called a "cheat" day or meal.

It makes perfect sense to me that if you are changing your lifestyle that you don't try to eat exactly the same amount of calories every day for the rest of your life. You need to learn new habits... and when you go to a party, you may eat or drink a bit more, so how do you balance that or how do you fit an occasional high calorie favorite food into your diet. How much do you exercise or how low cal must the rest of your time be to balance out? Playing around with this a bit is part of learning what works for you and how your can live in a fit way. But to call it cheating seems to me to miss the goal of making changes to your life that will help keep your fit for the rest of your life. (Keeping in mind that as other parts of your lifestyle change, you may need to re-adjust the balance.)

^^^^^^^ This

For me this is about changing lifestyle so my weight loss is a one way trip! So yes, I'll eat a bit more if friends are over and we are having a pot luck meal... I'll enjoy a beer or two on the weekend, and learn how to incorporate this into my life... this isn't cheating... It's living... In my real world.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love my cheat days. I eat whatever I want and I don't care. I usually don't log it but I did once and I wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I usually just snack all day with no real meals. The key for me is making sure the junk is out of the house so I don't extend my cheat day into a week.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I get what people are saying about calling it a 'cheat' day, that it doesn't suggest making a permanent lifestyle change and fitting things into your normal life etc. But here's my 2 cents: I call it a cheat day because I'm on an eating plan to lose weight, there are rules to the plan i.e. a certain number of calories each day.

To cheat = to win or gain advantage by not adhering to the rules

Cheat days help me lose weight quicker, if I stick to plan every day I lose slower or stop altogether, break the rules one day a week and I lose weight. Therefore it's definitely a 'cheat' whilst I'm still on plan. Once I'm where I want to be and 'off plan' as it were it won't be a cheat, it'll be a case of incorporating the things I refuse to give up into my everyday life without going back to my old habits. But for now, while I'm doing it by the rules, I'm calling it a cheat day as that's exactly what it is.