Is there hope for thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, for those of you (women in particular) who have lost weight, have you discovered your thigh gaps? It's not even the aesthetic appeal I'm concerned with, but the comfort aspect. I'd like to be able to wear skirts and dresses without friction. Is there hope for me?
    If that's the only concern then wear some Spanx or something that keeps friction low.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I, too, think it is genetic. I also think it can be achieved (the gap) with weight loss depending on your height and body build. Either way I would strive to be healthy and toned. We all have parts of our body we have to tolerate. I have always had long legs so that has not been my issue. I have often wished my mid-section was longer.
  • Rachspo
    Rachspo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also want the thy gap... but at the same time I don't let myself worry about it. The only time I ever had a thy gap was when I was 101 lbs and anorexic. So yeh, I think a lot of proana girls get obsessed with the thy gap and that just creeps me out. So unhealthy.

If it happens from being in AMAZING shape then great, but in my opinion don't make it a goal...

oh ALSO I don't have friction but the main reason I would like to have at least a teeny tiny thy gap is because my short shorts ride up in the middle, so not sexy. Super annoying. and if I'm working out I wanna wear short shorts. =)
    Anyone else HATE this?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Sounds funny, but you could try deodorant between your legs...I do that in the summer when I wear dresses and it really helps them not stick together!
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it depends a lot on your body type. My thighs only touched at my heaviest and when I started to lose weight the gap came back fairly quickly. Others I know don't have a thigh gap even though they aren't even really considered overweight. Is it possible to get one no matter what the body type? Not sure, but I would think you would be able to if your body fat % is at a good % and you shaped with weight lifting? Sorry, hope that helps.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm 227lbs and have no issues with friction, rash or anything. And I wear dresses three times a week.

I have worn out pants in the crotch area, but these are pants that are worn daily for work and this happens after a year.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ? So unattractive.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How times change. I remember being made fun of several times in high school because of my thigh gap. I don't think mine ever went away even at my heaviest weight. That's just not really where I gain much. I think it probably is true that a lot of it is genetic.

I can totally relate to this post! My thighs have never touched. I have wider hips and am "bow" legged. Guys would equate it to being "loose" when I was a teen, so I got teased a lot!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, for those of you (women in particular) who have lost weight, have you discovered your thigh gaps? It's not even the aesthetic appeal I'm concerned with, but the comfort aspect. I'd like to be able to wear skirts and dresses without friction. Is there hope for me?

Sadly, I have loose skin inbetween my thighs where my fat used to be which is worse since it now chafes badly. I wear bike shorts or spanx under my skirts.

I used to call it the "chub rub" but I have no idea what to call it now. It can be quite painful too.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Even when I was at my lowest weight of 135lbs my thighs still rubbed together..So no matter how small I get, it seems that extra little fat in my inner thighs won't go away. So wearing shorts is so hard to do since they rub although I would wear them anyways. This time around I am hoping to seem more of that small fat in the thigh area to go away this time...So I think there is hope, but then again it depends on each individual
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, for me lotions and power don't last long, and I have to wear shorts underneath. I'd like to not have to do that anymore. My thighs didn't rub when I was younger (and thinner) so I'm hoping with some weight loss it will get better.

Use Body Glide. Works for me, lasts all day, sweat and water proof.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My thighs still touch (and probably always will) but I no longer have a problem with rubbing after losing some weight. So I don't think you necessarily need a gap, just a bit less to rub. I now wear skirts and shorts without any problems unless it's really hot and I've been sitting crossed legged for a while, even then it goes once I get moving a bit.

There are anti-chaffing products out there that are supposed to be really good. I've never used them myself as I didn't know they existed when I needed them but one of my friends swears by them. Not sure of all the brands but Lanacane do one. Worth a try.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, thigh gap! I've just about forgotten what that is! :-) I hope to end up with some - just a litte bit, but still. ;-) No more friction in summer heat - lovely. No more swish, swish noise as you walk down the passage at work.... :-)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I wear out pants all the time, and it doesn't take long...grrrr..

There is a cream specifically for this, I get it in the Feminine Aisle at Target. It's called Anti-Chafe Cream..it's in a purple tube and it works WONDERS. I swear it's a miracle. I 'think' Vagisil makes it..omg..it's fab :)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" and in high school I weighed 99 lbs (it was just natural--I ate all the time) Anyway, at 99 lbs, they STILL touched, so I'm gonna say for me the answer is a big, fat NO!! I think it's genetic, and overrated anyway.

I agree- I have witnessed a good friend who has has met some amazing fitness goals- she really was an inspiration. Until she couldn't meet her last goal, which was the "thigh-gap". Now, I worry about her health as she is really obsessed with it and eating poorly (ie. not enough). She's now taking a health and nutrition course, and I think she's turning it around, but she was really worrying me there for a few months!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    my 2 cents - I have fairly sensitive skin and had a small rash from trying deodorants and lotions for the areas that were rubbing...so since I don't wear dresses or skirts I took my jeans and sewed a silk liner at the crotch that hangs down to just past mid-thigh. I measured it as i was sitting so it'd have room to move, and then hand-tacked every so often using the seam on the jeans. Very breathable especially when I go to Florida on vacation in the summer. Did the same with capris, shorts (obviously compensating for length).

I sewed liners into my husband's business/suit pants, too, since he was rubbing through them and THOSE are expensive.

For the 1-2 times a year I wear a dress I use one of those spanx/lycra things.

Anyways, just a different option :flowerforyou:
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    OMG really annoying at my skinniest I was a size 2 and I am hour glassy but my thighs always touched! I am so jealous of girls w/ thigh gap !!
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Before I gained weight I had a gap so I assume that when I'm back smaller I will have it again. I will just get doing those Jillian Michaels workouts that kill the thighs :)
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce-Containers/dp/B000FKLKXQ

Saw this on Dr. Oz for thigh chaffing. Does anyone else use this?

I have never had a gap. They touch but maybe I'm at a low enough weight that I don't have any chaffing. I cannot walk in short athletic shorts for a long period of time though! They just bunch up! And I have to keep pulling them down! Not attractive. :embarassed:

I'm 5'8" and 157 lbs.
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wear out pants all the time, and it doesn't take long...grrrr..

There is a cream specifically for this, I get it in the Feminine Aisle at Target. It's called Anti-Chafe Cream..it's in a purple tube and it works WONDERS. I swear it's a miracle. I 'think' Vagisil makes it..omg..it's fab :)

I just posted one by Monistat. Moistat Soothing Care Chaffing Relief Powder-Gel. Dr. Oz recommended.