The word "gross"...

Options
Has no place on MFP to describe any person.

Please stop using it, even if you find someone too thin, too fat, too muscular, too flabby, unattractive, etc. It's hurtful, rude, and unnecessary. In fact, it's best to avoid using words like "gross" and "disgusting" to describe ANYONE. People open themselves up on this site by posting their real pictures all the time. It's rare that we look like models or hunks. There are all different body types here: thin, tall, short, heavyset, curvy, obese, muscular, etc. Inevitably, you'll see people you don't find attractive, perhaps several such people. It's part of being on a fitness/weight management website. When that happens, please try to avoid using nasty language like this to describe them. They are human beings just like you and deserve to be treated with respect regardless of their body shape or size.

Please think about what you type and if you would like to be called those things before you post about someone else.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If I have 144 friends, can I call my most recent one "gross" or can I at least say I have a "gross" friend(s)?

Otherwise, I completely and totally agree with you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Has no place on MFP to describe any person.

Please stop using it, even if you find someone too thin, too fat, too muscular, too flabby, unattractive, etc. It's hurtful, rude, and unnecessary. In fact, it's best to avoid using words like "gross" and "disgusting" to describe ANYONE here. Please think about what you type and if you would like to be called those things before you post about someone else.

:heart:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If I have 144 friends, can I call my most recent one "gross" or can I at least say I have a "gross" friend(s)?

wait, is this more math? I can't take anymore math-related threads on a Saturday night...haha just kidding :laugh:
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Has no place on anywhere to describe any person.

Please stop using it, even if you find someone too thin, too fat, too muscular, too flabby, unattractive, etc. It's hurtful, rude, and unnecessary. In fact, it's best to avoid using words like "gross" and "disgusting" to describe ANYONE. People open themselves up on this site by posting their real pictures all the time. It's rare that we look like models or hunks.

Please think about what you type and if you would like to be called those things before you post about someone else.

Fixed that for you. :flowerforyou:
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

wait, is this more math? I can't take anymore math-related threads on a Saturday night...haha just kidding :laugh:

Lol ok I really tried not to laugh at this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    And this is why I love you. :smooched: :heart: :drinker:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is ok to say it about yourself though right ?

LIke I was a disgusting, slothful, gross, fat ugly pig. Now I am just ugly and less fat.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

LIke I was a disgusting, slothful, gross, fat ugly pig. Now I am just ugly and less fat.

Nope. Not yourself either. Imagine someone looking at you after you lost 137lbs for motivation and hearing you say that about yourself.
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better myself!

This made me laugh :laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Your gross sexiness cannot be overstated Cory.

:flowerforyou:
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Nope. Not yourself either. Imagine someone looking at you after you lost 137lbs for motivation and hearing you say that about yourself.

Exactly! Especially because you are kinda hot ;) But even if you weren't, you still wouldn't be an ugly person, at ANY weight. You should, however, be VERY proud of yourself and your accomplishments :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

No, because that's a lie.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Let me clarify that it's okay to feel that way. I think all of us do sometimes. Just that I think you should avoid saying things like that about yourself publicly. You are NOT gross. You are amazing, and very nice looking :smile:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

But it is stressful being the source of inspiration to people... Expectations to perform like a circus monkey lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

But it is stressful being the source of inspiration to people... Expectations to perform like a circus monkey lol

You don't have to be a circus monkey. Just don't be so hard on yourself. You are NOT gross. :smile:
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    I never understood that... how someone feels that it's ok to talk poorly or negativly criticize someone that they feel is already at their goal weight or very much in shape, but heaven forbid you say that about someone who needs to lose weight. We don't know everyone's story and how they got to where they are, everyone is beautiful in their own individual way and we should all appreciate those differences :flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I never understood that... how someone feels that it's ok to talk poorly or negativly criticize someone that they feel is already at their goal weight or very much in shape, but heaven forbid you say that about someone who needs to lose weight. We don't know everyone's story and how they got to where they are, everyone is beautiful in their own individual way and we should all appreciate those differences :flowerforyou:

Exactly. And for the record, I would never condone someone calling someone who is overweight or obese here "gross" or "disgusting" either. It's wrong either way.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    And this is why I love you. :smooched: :heart: :drinker:

LOL Love you back hon! You're one of the best people on here in my humble opinion. :smile: