Options

Replies

13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    you-re-awesome-tamar20-29422336-359-450.jpg
  • Vickylynn31
    Vickylynn31 Posts: 11
    Options
    Awww....I so agree. I have just LURKED the formula thread..lollll. You all are hilarious!
    And op...love this how you made a point to remind everyone to watch the language so to speak.
    Looking forward to getting to know all of you...:smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    love this how you made a point to remind everyone to watch the language so to speak.
    Looking forward to getting to know all of you...:smile:

Thanks!

I see the word "gross" used far too often to describe certain body types on here, and I think people need to be more aware of that on MFP. This place is full of people with different goals and body shapes, and it takes guts for people to come here and post pics of themselves in swimwear to show their progress. That's not a trivial thing. Using language like this can be really hurtful and discouraging.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    a7109098-786f-4690-8ffd-62ab153e2176.jpg
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i think perhaps people who do this haven't quite grasped how important it is to be body positive, in order to be healthy long term. well either that or they are ****heads.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    i think perhaps people who do this haven't quite grasped how important it is to be body positive, in order to be healthy long term. well either that or they are ****heads.

I agree with you on this, but that's why we need to be more diligent about using language like this to describe anyone's body. Positive body image is a big deal.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd hate to be called gross. Pretty severe. I know people like to say that we should not baby each other on here but I think there is a balance.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Yeah, I'd hate to be called gross. Pretty severe. I know people like to say that we should not baby each other on here but I think there is a balance.

I think so too.

I'm not saying you have to find every body attractive. That would be nonsense. Just don't go saying that someone is "gross" or "disgusting." It's unnecessarily cruel.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    yeah i saw that 'gross' today... good on you. totally agree.
  • cathygp58
    cathygp58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is ok to say it about yourself though right ?

LIke I was a disgusting, slothful, gross, fat ugly pig. Now I am just ugly and less fat.

No, because that's a lie.

And also- as others have said- let's not use abusive expressions about anyone else OR ourselves. I am inclined to say bad things about the way I look, on a "so that nobody thinks I don't realise it" basis, but my sensible daughter pointed out that it really is counterproductive! If we beat ourselves up we just feel more rubbishy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

LIke I was a disgusting, slothful, gross, fat ugly pig. Now I am just ugly and less fat.

No, because that's a lie.

And also- as others have said- let's not use abusive expressions about anyone else OR ourselves. I am inclined to say bad things about the way I look, on a "so that nobody thinks I don't realise it" basis, but my sensible daughter pointed out that it really is counterproductive! If we beat ourselves up we just feel more rubbishy.

Exactly. Counterproductive and also not true.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    yeah i saw that 'gross' today... good on you. totally agree.

Yup yup!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Can I just be best MFP friends with anyone and everyone who responded positively/awesomely/not grossly to this message?
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    a7109098-786f-4690-8ffd-62ab153e2176.jpg

SOOO cute!!!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    It is really mean spirited if you think about it, particularly if you are striving to achieve something. Why do people feel the need to do that? Sorry honey, but you are NOT killing MY joy!

This is a place where people should not ever be ridiculed for physical traits. period. If someone does not agree or share the same goals that person could just say they dont prefer this or that.

Anyhoo OP is a sexy curvy scoop of deliciousness.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The necessity of the word "gross" is grossly over-rated.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    The necessity of the word "gross" is grossly over-rated.

:flowerforyou:
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, if you can't say something that will help.......LOG OFF!
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If I have 144 friends, can I call my most recent one "gross" or can I at least say I have a "gross" friend(s)?

Otherwise, I completely and totally agree with you.

beat me to it...... NICE!
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    dont talk about yourself that way!!! 137 lbs lost amazing work and you arent ugly.

Nope. Not yourself either. Imagine someone looking at you after you lost 137lbs for motivation and hearing you say that about yourself.

But it is stressful being the source of inspiration to people... Expectations to perform like a circus monkey lol