For people trying to lose the last bit of fat and tone up...

Options

Replies

• BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i am 22 female and 123 lb. i believe my bf is 21.7.
    i am looking to lose a few more pounds of bf and then build some muscle. want to get defined. if im honnest iv been hitting the cardio hard but i have no idea where to start with weight training. i have a pt session tomorrow morning and hoprfully i will get some guidance. the one thing i have noticed is 30 min of heavy weight lifting vs 45 min intense cxardio , im always more tired from weight lifting for the rest of the evening/day.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do both at once. Either work on losing the fat, or gaining the muscle. You wont do both at the same time. Try a traditional cut and bulk cycle.
    ^ this. I saw a great method for gaining muscle and then losing fat from another thread on here - one method is to bulk for ~4 weeks, eating at/above maintenence and doing lots of strength training to build muscle while getting tons of protein, then the next ~6 weeks after that, focus on fat loss by reducing intake, doing cardio, eating lots of fiber, etc.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bumping....I am in the same category.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with those who say gaining muscle and losing fat can be done simultaneously. I have my BF tested every 6 weeks with the Bod Pod and my first reading in March was 22%. My F/U was a week ago and it went down to 19%. It showed I lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 1 lb of lean muscle. I'm not bodybuilding or competing and if I was then yes it would be different. I'm already pretty lean and 1-2% away from my UG so I'm not changing much of what I do. I'm not looking to have a ripped 6 pack bc in all honesty many can't eat that clean to obtain it and it's just not me. I have good tone and lines in my stomach so I'm happy.
    Bod Pod doesn't read if you gained lean muscle. It reads if you gained lean body MASS. That could be in the form of glycogen, water, higher bone density, etc. Dexa scan would show if you gained lean muscle mass.
    It's not impossible to do, but on a calorie deficit it takes a certain type of person to do it. In reality to gain muscle is to add weight. To add weight means you need surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well aware, competed in Figure in the past and had much more muscle mass than now so I know the difference. But as I said I'm not doing that and am perfectly happy with my results.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    I read a really informative article about body recomposition. It basically says that on lifting days you eat maintenance and rest/cardio days eat bmr. Now.figuring out the numbers wasn't so easy and im still playing with the maintenance number but in the past 4 weeks I've gained 3lbs but down .5inches in my hips (my biggest problem area). I do a lot of lifting 4 days a week, cardio 1-2 days and then rest. Im no expert by any means just trying to figure out my own body. If you'd like the website just message me :) hope you get some good info.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Dumb question here, what is the difference on toning up and building muscle? Dont you build when you tone? Everyone says you cant build muscle if you are eating enough but you can tone, I dont see the difference.
    "Tone" isn't really even a true fitness term. This is why you may be confused. It gets thrown around here (and many weight loss communities) as weight lifting without gaining muscle.
    To build muscle you need calorie surplus. It's practically impossible to do it on calorie deficit. There are a few that can do it, but the majority of the population won't.
    If you're strength training (and that doesn't mean lifting weights for 15-25 reps) while on calorie deficit you retain the lean muscle you already have. This will also help to "condition" the muscle and make it firmer..............which is what people refer to as "toning" (hate that word).
    The lower your body fat, the more muscle becomes apparent which is why many people believe they "built" muscle when in truth all they did was reveal it.

IDEA Fitness member

Niner,
    Is it possible that what people think of as muscle gains while in deficit are really atrophied or underdeveloped muscle tissue getting developed and that gives the appearance of gaining muscle tissue?
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with those who say gaining muscle and losing fat can be done simultaneously. I have my BF tested every 6 weeks with the Bod Pod and my first reading in March was 22%. My F/U was a week ago and it went down to 19%. It showed I lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 1 lb of lean muscle. I'm not bodybuilding or competing and if I was then yes it would be different. I'm already pretty lean and 1-2% away from my UG so I'm not changing much of what I do. I'm not looking to have a ripped 6 pack bc in all honesty many can't eat that clean to obtain it and it's just not me. I have good tone and lines in my stomach so I'm happy.
    Bod Pod doesn't read if you gained lean muscle. It reads if you gained lean body MASS. That could be in the form of glycogen, water, higher bone density, etc. Dexa scan would show if you gained lean muscle mass.
    It's not impossible to do, but on a calorie deficit it takes a certain type of person to do it. In reality to gain muscle is to add weight. To add weight means you need surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

I do the bod pod as well when I was 152 lbs at 5'6.5'' and it said I was 33% body fat! That is obese! I am now 135 and lost alot of inches. I lift hard, 3 sets of 10 and try to beat my weights each time. I know I am stronger but I wont loose fat unless I eat 1350 (no more, no less). Should I stick with this until my body fat is healthy and then slowly eat more to gain muscle? How can I gain muscle and not belly fat once I start eating more?
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    I would rather lose fat than build muscle atm as its summer time, so for now i'm going to focus on fat loss and just maintain the muscle I do have through strength training/weights.
    Would a diet ratio something along the lines of this be effective for fatloss & mainitaing muscle...
    Breakfast - eggs and smoked salmon with spinach. OR greek yoghurt with seeds & berries(if in a rush/really early morning)
    Lunch - tuna or tofu salad
    Dinner - Fish/chicken with veg and brown rice/sweet potato
    Snacks of - nuts, cottage cheese, pnutbutter, protein shakes(on workout days), hummus with veg sticks, fruit.

I have finished my studies and now have a few months where i'm able to really focus on this. I have 7 weeks until my hols and as i'm not totally out of shape, I hope its possible to see good results. I struggle to get enough cals when eating 'clean'.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Niner,
    Is it possible that what people think of as muscle gains while in deficit are really atrophied or underdeveloped muscle tissue getting developed and that gives the appearance of gaining muscle tissue?
    Likely. Let's face it, almost everyone trying to lose weight got overweight because they DIDN'T exercise or do physical activity. To activate those muscle they haven't seen or used in a long time, gives them the illusion of muscle being built. Those who are knowledgable in gaining muscle but are overweight and are exercising or have been for a long time KNOW that they when they are dieting down, that muscle is being revealed and not being built.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I do the bod pod as well when I was 152 lbs at 5'6.5'' and it said I was 33% body fat! That is obese! I am now 135 and lost alot of inches. I lift hard, 3 sets of 10 and try to beat my weights each time. I know I am stronger but I wont loose fat unless I eat 1350 (no more, no less). Should I stick with this until my body fat is healthy and then slowly eat more to gain muscle? How can I gain muscle and not belly fat once I start eating more?
    That's obese by BMI standards. Basically you were just overweight since you were within 7% of being normal. What you're doing is fine. Now when go to surplus, your body will dictate where fat is stored first. There is no regimen of exercise or diet that can change that. So if your belly is where it settles first, then that's what it is.

IDEA Fitness member
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    That's obese by BMI standards. Basically you were just overweight since you were within 7% of being normal. What you're doing is fine. Now when go to surplus, your body will dictate where fat is stored first. There is no regimen of exercise or diet that can change that. So if your belly is where it settles first, then that's what it is.

IDEA Fitness member

My belly, hips and back get all my fat so really there is no point in trying to gain muscle since I am going to get fat in those areas with eating more....that sucks. I can still get stonger though! But how can you get stronger without gaining muscle? Will this stop at a certain point if I eat to maintain my weight?
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    Options
    I find this topic to be quite interesting. I think we all know what to do, and what we choose to do are two different things. I have found it easy to lose weight weight and gain and stay motivated when you have a Simple, Fun and Easy Platform to work with. I do strength training more than cardio, because muscle burns fat ! I am going to go throw out some tips again.

1- Drink lots of water. most people are dehydrated 2 to 3 L a day.
    2- eat about 6 times a day, this helps speed up your metabolism
    3- build muscle , it burns weight off faster
    4 eat plenty of fruits and veggies. This helps you eat more and weight less
    5 avoid the color beige: these foods tend to high in carbs and calories . Low in nutrition .
    6 Get the regular amount of sleep, you know what's best for you, recommended 8* hrs (too little and your body will retain or gain weight.)
    7 Exercise- 3-5 times a week , 30min a day. Preferably strength and some cardio.
    8 The body needs Protein- this helps you build and retain muscle, burn fat and keeps you from getting hungry !

I believe in these completely as they have had incredible results in my body building career and with fitness contests. Hope it helps, take it as just a guideline and find out what works best for you !
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy and I'm okay with that!
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I find this topic to be quite interesting. I think we all know what to do, and what we choose to do are two different things. I have found it easy to lose weight weight and gain and stay motivated when you have a Simple, Fun and Easy Platform to work with. I do strength training more than cardio, because muscle burns fat ! I am going to go throw out some tips again.

1- Drink lots of water. most people are dehydrated 2 to 3 L a day.
    2- eat about 6 times a day, this helps speed up your metabolism
    3- build muscle , it burns weight off faster
    4 eat plenty of fruits and veggies. This helps you eat more and weight less
    5 avoid the color beige: these foods tend to high in carbs and calories . Low in nutrition .
    6 Get the regular amount of sleep, you know what's best for you, recommended 8* hrs (too little and your body will retain or gain weight.)
    7 Exercise- 3-5 times a week , 30min a day. Preferably strength and some cardio.
    8 The body needs Protein- this helps you build and retain muscle, burn fat and keeps you from getting hungry !

I believe in these completely as they have had incredible results in my body building career and with fitness contests. Hope it helps, take it as just a guideline and find out what works best for you !

This!
  • Argent78
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So... IM REALLLY CONFUSED HERE!!! CAN I DO STRENGTH TRAINING AND ALSO LOOSE FAT?? I'm eating 1900 cals aprox... doing lost of cardio, and lots of weight lifting... So?
  • zsaoosh
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So... IM REALLLY CONFUSED HERE!!! CAN I DO STRENGTH TRAINING AND ALSO LOOSE FAT?? I'm eating 1900 cals aprox... doing lost of cardio, and lots of weight lifting... So?

In the same boat here! I am confused too LOL
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Strength training while dieting helps you RETAIN muscle, so you minimise muscle loss in favour of fat loss. It's almost inevitable you will lose some muscle as well as fat. You want to lift heavy to preserve as much lean muscle mass as you can while you burn the fat off.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Short answer is yes you can. If you are doing strength training and eating at maintenance or at a deficit, you will lose fat. This is what I am doing right now and losing 1 to 1.5 % body fat per month.
  • Argent78
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Short answer is yes you can. If you are doing strength training and eating at maintenance or at a deficit, you will lose fat. This is what I am doing right now and losing 1 to 1.5 % body fat per month.

Alright! hope it works :)
    I have my BF% assessment next week... I'll see what happened!