Can us bigger folk use P90X ?

I would really like to try P90X but I'm feeling kind of intimidated. A lot of people say it's for those who are already in shape but want to be even fitter.
Are there any heavier folk here that have used P90X? What was your experience like?
I weigh 235 lbs. Am I being totally unrealistic?

Replies

• CEQuick75
    CEQuick75 Posts: 311 Member
    I'm curious too!
  • jeffwalsh
    jeffwalsh Posts: 32 Member
    I'm starting p90x today! I can understand the reservation to starting p90x. It's tough. I was in a lot better shape last summer when I started it and found it tough. But tough in a great way. Here's a video that I just watched today.

The motto of p90x is "Do you Best. Forget the Rest". So really, it's about where you are and pushing yourself. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZG92BKGdU

Check it out!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    i am 199.25lbs as of tonights weigh in. im doing p90, rather than p90x as its a little less hardcore to start me off. i love it. have only completed 2 days, but it really is addictive :)
  • Omg YES. TOTALLY. Do you know how many "bigger" people have done P90X and have had great success??? TONS. Seriously look on youtube, search for Dan Bruce or Jeremy Yost or Tommy Mygrant, There are a TON. Whats awesome about P90X is that there is an easier, modified move available for every move on the dvds. There is no reason you can not do this program. I personally went from 180 pounds to a low of 139 pounds from doing P90X and now I swear by it! This is the very reason my profile picture is of me and Tony Horton, it literally changed my life! You can totally do it, dont be afraid!
  • knobody09
    knobody09 Posts: 16 Member
    Yes we can,
    When I first did P90X, I was at 230.
    I had dropped down to 190 at the end of the program.
    I wasn't eating right, but I was doing the exercises everyday.
    If you want it you got to go for it.
  • I don't think you are being unrealistic. You have to really stick to it though, which can be hard. My gf and I made it through about a week of P90X "lean" (without the plyometrics) because we thought that would be what we could handle without going overboard. I definitely saw results in the short amount of time we were doing P90X, but life got in the way and we found it hard to keep up with 60+ minute workouts every day.

You can do it!! :)
  • averysmami
    averysmami Posts: 17
    Are the modified moves shown on the DVD during the current workout you're watching? Or do you have to refer to something else?
    Omg YES. TOTALLY. Do you know how many "bigger" people have done P90X and have had great success??? TONS. Seriously look on youtube, search for Dan Bruce or Jeremy Yost or Tommy Mygrant, There are a TON. Whats awesome about P90X is that there is an easier, modified move available for every move on the dvds. There is no reason you can not do this program. I personally went from 180 pounds to a low of 139 pounds from doing P90X and now I swear by it! This is the very reason my profile picture is of me and Tony Horton, it literally changed my life! You can totally do it, dont be afraid!
  • averysmami
    What are the differences between the two?
    i am 199.25lbs as of tonights weigh in. im doing p90, rather than p90x as its a little less hardcore to start me off. i love it. have only completed 2 days, but it really is addictive :)
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    I'm 5'5'' and when I used it last year I was 205 and I'll be honest, it almost killed me and not in that great workout kind of way. In that I'm going to injure myself and not be able to workout again for a few months kinda way. But everyone is different and you will never know until you give it a try. You can also go at your own pace and do modified versions of the excercises to go at a comfortable pace. The thing for me is that every time I decide to lose weight I go full force and end up injuring myself or getting sick. This time around I've taken it slow and I'm coming up on 30 days of excercise, only resting on Sunday's and I'm losing weight and gradually went to more difficult fitness classes at the YMCA. My ticker doesn't reflect my total weight loss, I reset it recently to only reflect my weight loss for a biggest loser contest I just started doing.

Just don't push yourself to do something that might injure you.
  • knobody09
    knobody09 Posts: 16 Member
    All the mods are shown on the video and they are very helpful and doable!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Maybe try the original P90 first then go to P90X? Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)
  • MzTate81
    MzTate81 Posts: 63 Member
    I started P90X and turbo fire hybrid 2weeks ago this is week 3 for me now i weghted 218 when in first started ....Its not easy but i belive if you put your mine to it no matter your weight to can do it just take it easy at first dont try to do it like them cause your not them but just do it every day and you get better and better each week ...........I weight 211 now..... so you get results....Oh yea this is my first time doing P90X and my second round of Turbo fire...........I did the hybrid because after doing Turbo fire the first time i loved it and didnt want to not do it for 90 days so is just did this schedule instead of doing just P90X Plus i like to challenge myself...Good luck on what every you decide
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    What are the differences between the two?

p90 is basically a little less intense from what i can work out. now it still is intense, i did day 3 this morning and my arms burned towards the end! after i complete it, ill probably do the p90x as well.
  • averysmami
    I looked up both programs last night. P90 sounds like it might be my best bet, at least for starting out.
    Also, buying and installing a pull up bar in my house sounds a little out there.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    I finished day 11 of the regular P90 this morning.

I initially bought the P90X, but after reading the booklet and attempting the pretest (that I failed horribly!) I decided P90 was the better choice for me. I had been inactive for years prior to starting the program and I didn't want to overdo it at first.

So far P90 is AWESOME!! It is challenging and I am often sore the next day, but it's not overwhelming and I'm not so sore that I can't function for days afterward.

I am looking forward to starting P90X after finishing P90!
  • averysmami
    I finished day 11 of the regular P90 this morning.

I initially bought the P90X, but after reading the booklet and attempting the pretest (that I failed horribly!) I decided P90 was the better choice for me. I had been inactive for years prior to starting the program and I didn't want to overdo it at first.

So far P90 is AWESOME!! It is challenging and I am often sore the next day, but it's not overwhelming and I'm not so sore that I can't function for days afterward.

I am looking forward to starting P90X after finishing P90!

Did you have to get a pull up bar for P90?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    P90X is tough - but he says in the dvd's to go at your own pace, and work your way up -- you won't be able to do everything at the intensity/level he can, but who cares, do the damn thing, and monitor your progress!!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,552 Member
    I started the P90X today. It wasn't easy by any means but it is also very forgiving about what you can handle. He lets you pick your pace and wasn't at all pushy about the timing.

I am sure you can participate in P90X. I was dying don't get me wrong but I know I will make great strides if I just stick with it.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I would really like to try P90X but I'm feeling kind of intimidated. A lot of people say it's for those who are already in shape but want to be even fitter.
    Are there any heavier folk here that have used P90X? What was your experience like?
    I weigh 235 lbs. Am I being totally unrealistic?

You can do it. I started P90x at 223 and I just keep plugging away at it. P90x has changed my life. Go for it and keep pressing play even when you don't want to

BTW I also failed the pretest but I started anyways and I am doing fine
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    The only thing you need for P90 are weights or bands. I prefer weights. I got some adjustable ones. After P90, you can move onto P90 master series, & then P90X.