strength training and lifting gloves

Options
2»

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    when i started using a barbell i just put on my bike riding gloves. They are fingerless ones. Feels good to me..
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If you never intend to compete, don't worry about it and buy gloves. They will impact your grip strength because you'll be less challenged to hold the weight with your hands.

I have the same problem, never making it through anymore than 2 deadlifts with any decent weight because my hands wont hold it.... but I wont buy gloves because as a powerlifter I CAN'T compete with gloves on, it would be illegal.

I just thought of the lifting strap concept. I only use them for activities like bent over rows or shrugs. This allows me to use the heavier weight my hand simply wont hold without them. In that situation, I think that a pair of gloves will be better grip wise than straps... but either one would be good for you if you feel you need to buy something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in gloves. I want nice smooth hands. I got mine at target after I lost my old ones.

ps: I find my hands HURT less when I wear the gloves (hurt as in ache, as in arthritis).
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole concept of sucking it up and avoiding certain items that can be helpful in the gym. If they would help in getting you to a higher weight then why on earth avoid them? I was told once that you can't work on your grip or forearms with them... Well...When I'm doing things like deadlifts, I'm not doing them for my forearms. All these anti-glove/bar pads/straps people just confuse the heck out of me. I would certainly want to use anything that would improve my performance as long as it wasn't hindering any strength gains.

I love my gloves since now I don't have the calluses I used to and my grip fails me on deadlifts so I got lifting straps so i could continue to increase the weights and get in my reps. It helps a lot. I think you should give them a try if your having trouble.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I use gloves because I get calluses, and the gloves do not bother me at all.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I lift relatively heavy and never had to use gloves. Lately I am at a weight that really hurt my hands and it make it hard to lift.
    I also have very sweaty hands and it makes the bar slippery. I am in a gym that does not allow chalk.

In your opinion, should I buy myself lifting gloves or avoid those and suck it up?

I would avoid the gloves, they'll actually be counterproductive when the weights get to a certain amount for you; they make it harder to hold onto it.
  • gigishiree
    gigishiree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i wear them or else my skin rubs off. the heavier the weight the more friction it creates. just make sure they fit well for the best grip-nice n snug
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider "heavy lifting" and if what lifting I do qualifies for that, but i use gloves for my weight lifting, otherwise my hands were getting really roughed up and hurting.
    Mine are suede with a small wrist support and I love them.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    What sort of lifts are we talking? Would alternating grip help?
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves every time I lift, no reason not too.
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    might wanna try straps, they will improve you lifting,straps take the pressure from your grip and spread to your wrist