I Am Scared To Run.....

Options

Replies

• joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I got the "itch" to run, too. Have no idea where it came from. Had it for years and decided to act on it. I started c25k last September. I was really scared to even start because I was so afraid of failing. Therefore, I went really SLOW when I ran. It wasn't hard at all. I found a pace that was comfortable (and challenging for me). Like others have said, it is so so so important to get properly fitting running shoes. I finished the program in November and fan my first 5K. I have since run in six 5Ks with my seventh one this coming Saturday. I even joined a speed interval group! And here I was afraid to run for 2 minutes straight initially. Who would have thought! Go ahead and try, the sense of accomplishment is unbelievable. :smile:
  • bdubs125
    bdubs125 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    try this couch to 5k training plan
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/

i started with this, not realizing there were others out there that had you do intervals for 20 minutes. What I love about it is that when you start, it only makes you exercise for 12 minutes: 5 walking, 2 running, 5 walking. I figured that was easy enough, because I HATE running. but i knew i was fit enough to make it 2 minutes without stopping, and I liked walking.

Fast forward 7 weeks, I ran 1.6 miles in 15 minutes the other day, and am running my first 5k in 4 weeks with my mom and two of my brothers. I'm actually looking forward to getting up at 6:00 tomorrow morning to run my 1.6 miles again. Who woulda thunk it? :)
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY C25K. I started it January 2011 at 223ish lbs. Today....I ran 13 miles (well, there was some walking involved. 13 miles for pete's sake!) Have done many 5Ks and have my first half marathon in 3 weeks.

Now...I NEVER thought I would enjoy running. While I'm running, I don't know that I enjoy it. LOL! I DO SO LOVE the accomplishment, pride and empowerment that comes with running! :heart:

I was AFRAID to run in front of other people. If I couldn't go far....they'd see me fail. I assumed they would all chalk it up to me being overweight and dismiss me of course (all my insecurity rationalizing for me).

I DIDN'T like the way my body felt heavy when it hit the ground when I began. Well....that changed as I stayed consistent in running and I lost more weight!

I was AFRAID I couldn't do it. "I can't run for 60 seconds!" Um....my longest run time now non-stop is over 2 hours. I CAN.

All I can say is do it and DO NOT TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN'T BEFORE YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN!

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY RUNNING! :drinker:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Ever since beginning a healthy lifestyle myself, when i see bigger people running, I get excited for them. I think most people who live a healthy lifestyle, workout, etc., feel the same way. Generally people are supportive and encouraging. It's the vain people who are different, and most of them are more self-conscious and afraid than you are.

I'm starting the C25K program this week. :)
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal to feel self-conscious about running ... I was sure my neighbors would be looking out their windows, giggling at me. I've found it's helpful to go to a park where there are a lot of runners. When I do that, I can usually count on someone looking even goofier than me. But the important thing is, if you have the itch, get out there and do it. It feels so freaking good.

I predict it only takes one good run to get your mind OFF what other people might be thinking and ON how good you feel.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I started out "running" (more of a wog: walk/jog combo) at almost 300#. I didn't do it, but C25K is an excellent program to start out on. The best piece of advice I can give you: go to a specialty running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoe. And expect to pay around $100 for a good pair. It's a little pricey for shoes, but your body will thank you later.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Stick to your training and dont over do it in the early stages, or your body will rebel BIG TIME.
  • AmiKayser
    AmiKayser Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've dabbled in running here and there, two little tidbits I discovered that help/encourage me are... I work best when I'm planning or working towards a goal, usually a fun charity run...that way I have a solid date to train towards and I always love getting and wearing the t-shirts from these events (bragging rights I suppose). Secondly, I realized early on not to compare myself to other runners...shoot for doing better than you did the run before but don't ever worry about how long it takes you, how you look, etc. Good luck and I sincerely hope you shove the nerves aside and just go for it!!!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 2 day 1 of the c25k program. I am so excited that I found this program, and love to run! I also was afraid what people would say seeing me run. I'm 5'1 and tip the scales at 176lbs, so I can only imagine what I look like running, however after my first week running I do not care anymore, I love the sense of accomplishment after my run. For example today week 2 the running interval increased from 60 seconds to 90 seconds and I thought I was going to die and not complete the intervals, however I pushed through it and completed the intervals. I felt very proud of myself, that I , a person who never ran, not even on a treadmill, am running for fitness and enjoyment.

I say go for it!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!

I am most known for my hula hoop and spin bike exercise routines (hence the name: spinqueen!)

Recently, however, I have had the "itch" to go out and run! I don't know where it came from...it just popped into my head one night, as I was relaxing before bed! This even being after a REALLY long, hard day of house remodeling (my husband & I "flip" houses for a living). I had shoveled rock all day, for 3 days straight.

Anyways...I am 242lbs. I am not HUGE, by any means...in fact...I am pretty small for the number on the scale.
    However, I feel slightly self-conscious about running outdoors.
    Biggest fear: animals. I was chased and almost attacked by a dog when I was 13. Scared the hell out of me!
    Second fear: looking like a bouncing "blob".
    I know I shouldn't care what others think of me....but I know from experience how people look at you differently, and how they treat you differently when you are not thin.

I want to do the C25K...I have the app on my phone...just afraid to take that next step.

Any suggestions?

Have any of you been in my position? If so...how did you get over your fears and worries? Did you have success?

I have heard people say that running is an excellent form of weight loss, as well as conditioning. I just need it for weight loss. I'm actually pretty well-conditioned! I am strong, and can outlast most "skinny" people I know!

Got any ideas?
    I need the push!! Help me out?

Thanks......Cindy :)

I'm currently 318... and I run almost every day! Now, I am slow so I use the term "running" loosely. You can do it!
    I started because I've always hated running and never could do it. So I'm proving to myself an dall those around me that I can!

Its fun :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm scared not to run.

tumblr_m195ovABp41rnh4cmo1_500.jpg
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Don't worry about what others think. Many of them will wish they had your courage. Remember, you won't be big much longer if you keep working at it! As for the dogs, I do "run into" that problem fairly regularly. There are families along my route who don't contain their animals. You probably won't outrun a dog, so don't try. Stop running and stand still or walk slowly. I usually tell the dog to "git!" Sometimes, they listen. If the owner is nearby, stop and give them a chance to get their dog. You'll soon find out where the problem dogs reside. Appeal to the owners or, if they won't cooperate, try calling animal control. If you're out, and a dog is holding you hostage, call 911.

Running is great exercise, and I recommend the C25K program. It worked for me! Now, I'm doing the Bridge to 10K.

Be fearless and have fun!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I started running last September. I'm still ridiculously slow (14-15 minute miles. I get excited when I hit 13 minutes). Not only am I around 210, but I have to run with braces on both knees so they don't dislocate. Despite that, I still suck it up and run - sometimes even downtown, around Main St. Today I ran on campus (I live in a University town). Yeah, I'm still self-conscious, especially when I'm doing 5ks because most people around me are super fit, but hey, I'm doing it for me not for them.

Hahaha this is going to sound so strange, but I noticed today that the only time I get "nice" looks from good-looking guys with gorgeous bodies is when I run :laugh: :blushing: I don't know if it's my (very large) chest bouncing, or the fact that I'm out running, or maybe they're just suffering from a delusions due to runner's high, but maybe that's an encouraging thing for you? :wink:

Oh, another edit: the guys I mentioned above are usually also running... that's why I said delusions from runner's high.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I started my journey at 288. I am now at 231. I had been telling my cousin that I wanted to start jogging and she told me about the c25k. I just now finished week 3 and can jog for 7 minutes. It may not sound like a lot, but that is the longest I have ever been able to jog. Everytime I complete another day I am so much more proud of myself. I can't believe I am able to do that. I have 7 more weeks to go, but really loving it. I say go for it if you want to. I usually do it at home on the tread mill, but the first time I did it in public I was nervous. I love to see people of all sizes running. I don't really care what they say. I look at it this way. If they are making comments maybe they should be out walking or working out too. I say do it. It will make you so proud of yourself.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm scared not to run.

Love this!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but after walking my first 5K last month I've got the itch to step it up to the next level. My biggest concern is blowing out my knees - I currently walk 60-90 minutes a day and that has been a MAJOR contributor to the weight loss I've had over the past six months.

My recommendation to you is to do what I intend to do - work in the running REALLY gradually so that your body acclimates to it. The two main things, as far as I can see, is to avoid injury and to not burn yourself out while you're working up the stamina.

Congrats, and good luck to you!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm scared not to run.

Oh my gosh!! LOVE THIS!!! Thank you..I needed a good laugh!!
  • spinqueen72
    Options
    your in luck cause walking at a brisk pace will help you more in fat loss than running......and will be easier on your joints

Hi!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I DO love to walk. I try to walk at least an hour every day. I have an awesome exercise playlist on my iPod, that is VERY walker/runner friendly.
    The other day, I put that music on, and before I knew it..I had walked almost 5 miles! It was awesome!!!
    My body twitched for at least an hour afterwards!!!
    I also walk very fast, too. It's not your average stroll in the park kind of walk.
    Anyways..thank you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes. i definitely understand. i used to be hugely self conscious about outdoor running and one of the first times i went running in my neighborhood as a kid i got chased by a dog :cry:

my advice is to start off in someplace like a outdoor track at a local school. once you get more confident move to a park.

you can do it!
  • spinqueen72
    Options
    yes. i definitely understand. i used to be hugely self conscious about outdoor running and one of the first times i went running in my neighborhood as a kid i got chased by a dog :cry:

my advice is to start off in someplace like a outdoor track at a local school. once you get more confident move to a park.

you can do it!

thanks!
    I only live a couple minutes from the high school...and the kids are going to be getting out for the summer in 10 days!