Cabbage Soup Diet (Sacred Heart Diet)

Options
Has anyone tried this one to jumpstart their weight loss?? It sounds kind of crazy, but sounds like it may be a way to clean my system out?? Thoughts?

Replies

• Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    I tried it years ago. I definitely cleans you out...but gasssyyyy!!! Don't plan to be around too many people. :)
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks! I will keep that in mind. : )
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is another fad diet, I believe it was designed originally to help very obese patients lose weight quickly prior to an operation. I tried it and after two days I got the most awful headaches and felt very weak and dizzy. Also had awful wind, well all that fibre you would I guess. Like most extremely low cal diets it is unsustainable for any length of time and any weight lost will probably be regained when you return to a normal eating. I would certainly not try it again

Having said that, cabbage soup as a low cal snack or to replace one meal would be fine just not as your main source of food. :smile:
  • shel1103
    Options
    Hmm... The soup itself seems like it would be extremely filling. Lots of veggies!!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your body can clean itself out. Just provide it with the macro-nutrients, micro-nutrients, energy and water that it needs and it will get to work. Maintain a modest deficit and you will lose weight. Going on a very low calorie diet might appear to "jumpstart" your weight loss because you might see a sudden loss on the scale, but a lot of that will be water. Presumably you're more interested in fat loss? I know it often seems like you have a huge mountain to climb, especially at the beginning, but honestly you'll be much better off in the long term by giving your body the fuel it needs. (The soup probably would be filling, but it still wouldn't have enough for your body's basic needs). Consistently under-eating by too much can really mess up your metabolism.

The cabbage soup itself looks quite nutritious, and if you are feeling constipated or anything, it would definitely be a good idea to increase your water and fibre intake. As a weight loss thing though, honestly, I wouldn't even bother. It doesn't look like you've been on here very long, so just keep at it, and in time you'll see some good results. :flowerforyou:
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If anything claims to cleanse you or detox you, just turn away and pretend you never saw the f*cking thing.

Yes, veggies are good for you, so eat them. Cabbage will cleanse you, with farts, thats about it.

If you want to jumpstart your weightloss, actually start it. Your initial losses will be large and encouraging. If you're looking at fad diets, you are saying to yourself, "I'm not really 100% sure I am committed to this, let me see if I can find something to make me feel like I will be."

It isn't rocket surgery, and if you convince yourself an extreme is the only way to go you will make something like this seem monumentally difficult when it really is just changing how you live your life. Figure out about how many calories you should eat, then eat 500 below that. Move around some, pick up heavy things and put them down again and above all, be patient. Physics and your own biology will take care of the rest.
  • shel1103
    Options
    If anything claims to cleanse you or detox you, just turn away and pretend you never saw the f*cking thing.

Yes, veggies are good for you, so eat them. Cabbage will cleanse you, with farts, thats about it.

If you want to jumpstart your weightloss, actually start it. Your initial losses will be large and encouraging. If you're looking at fad diets, you are saying to yourself, "I'm not really 100% sure I am committed to this, let me see if I can find something to make me feel like I will be."

It isn't rocket surgery, and if you convince yourself an extreme is the only way to go you will make something like this seem monumentally difficult when it really is just changing how you live your life. Figure out about how many calories you should eat, then eat 500 below that. Move around some, pick up heavy things and put them down again and above all, be patient. Physics and your own biology will take care of the rest.

If you want to look at my diary, feel free. I have been "doing it", for over a month now. Been on MFP for 20 days, and have been a bit unsuccessful. I log everything, and I am usually very honest. I broke my foot about a month ago (1 week after I started my weight loss effort), and have not been able to work out. I just started back at the gym 2 weeks ago... Slowly working back up to where I was.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

If you want to look at my diary, feel free. I have been "doing it", for over a month now. Been on MFP for 20 days, and have been a bit unsuccessful. I log everything, and I am usually very honest. I broke my foot about a month ago (1 week after I started my weight loss effort), and have not been able to work out. I just started back at the gym 2 weeks ago... Slowly working back up to where I was.

I tried, diary wasn't open initially so went based off what I saw; eg you needed to jumpstart something or another.

What's with all the quick add calories? I'm just curious.

Only thing I would say is just police yourself a bit more, and change up your diet for some more nourishing; different things. Instead of Peter Pan Peanut butter? Try natural peanut butter or Almond butter. Try incorporating more legumes into your diet (lentils etc), try things like quinoa, avocado, salmon, introduce complete proteins and good fats into your diet. It seems like a change like that might be the push you need. Treat food as fuel, and nothing else, and you will enjoy yourself much more.

EDIT: I should mention btw, don't fret over not being able to steadily lose weight if a big contributing factor was your exercise and you are 2 weeks off of a broken foot. Heal up, rest, eat right, recover, and then get back at it.
  • shel1103
    Options
    Thanks!! If I go to a restaurant and cannot find anything comparable, I will estimate. I'm not positive on the calories, but I'm sure most of the time I'm overestimating...

I didn't realize I had so many of the "quick adds". Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

It was only a chip fracture so I'm back on my feet and just started up my walking again this week. I ice after every walk, so it doesn't get too swollen. I'm hoping this was a big contributor to not losing anything and it will start coming off now. : (

I think I will make that soup and use it for a snack - that was a helpful idea, plus I would like to try to increase my intake of fruit, so I will also try that this week.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Before my change in mindset, I used to always try this one. I would make a kettle of soup and at the end of the week throw out 3/4 of a kettle of soup. I did like the taste,but wasn't good at sticking to things. My suggestion, a small pot to start... :}
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    Both of my parents did this years ago. They actually really enjoyed it and lost quite a bit of weight. However, just like any other fad diet, they gained the weight back over the next few weeks once they reverted back to their old eating habits.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% do NOT bother with this.

While I'm just repeating some previous advice: You do not need to detox your system and you do not need to "kickstart" or "jumpstart" anything. You need a plan that you can stick with and you need to stick with it, and that's it.

If I were to generalize and sum up a list:

1) Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting place.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Exercise, ideally with progressive resistance.
    4) Rest and repeat.
    5) Don't micromanage anything else that doesn't really matter.

Best of luck.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you eat out at restaurants a lot, but if you do and are estimating how much you have, that might be part of the problem. I believe a lot of restaurant nutritional info can be found online. I don't know if something like this would be any help: http://caloriecount.about.com/restaurants-mc1 Obviously it's a lot easier if you're eating at a large chain than a small independent place! I don't eat out much but when I do, I have been quite shocked sometimes at the calories consumed. It's worth bearing in mind. Otherwise, try not to worry too much, like Chris said, it might just be as a result of reduced exercise. I'm sure you'll be able to get back on track soon.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that ! I don`t really reccommend it. The soup is tasty enough.... but after eating it all day you get pretty sick of it really fast. As soon as you start eating normal food again then the weight will just come back on. I have done enough FAD diets to know 100% that they don`t work.....yes you might loss a few lbs of water weight and think it is working, but you feel weak, irritated and in the long run it is not a lifestyle you can maintain. Trust me.... I lost 50lbs the right way.... eating my allotted calories and through exercise. I didn`t deprieve myself of anything I love and with hard work and determination you can do it to. Weight loss is not done over night and there are no shortcuts. With MFP as a tool it can guide you....and the people here are an amazing support team. You can do this :)
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I'm doing a juice fast right now. I love doing fast and I don't gain when I get off of it IF I go straight to 1200 calories and eat clean afterwards. I have a hard time losing weight and fasts really help me. The few pounds that I have lost were thanks to a fast I did about 6 weeks ago. I'm doing another one because I am going to a water park in 10 days. The count down has begun! My boyfriend does fast ALOT were talking weeks at a time with no solid food but he sees a nutritionist also who monitors him. I would never do the cabbage soup diet because I don't like cabbage soup but I love the fruit and veggie juices that I drink so it's great for me. But as you can see not everyone agrees with fasting.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think this soup (not necessarily the diet itself) could be a good start for you. You *are* quite honest in your diary, but aren't getting a lot of foods that make up a balanced diet. Your fruits and veggies in particular seem to be a little lacking to me- you rely on diary and grains/carbs for your snacks and meal fillers.

For this I liked to try a challenge: eating 3 servings of DIFFERENT veggies during the day was my challenge. I start with eggs and a side of veggie, have 1 veggie as one of my snacks then I could easily have 1 veggie with a meal and "meet" my veggie req.

Anyway, overall I think a better suggestion for you would be to branch out with your healthy diet, try some new things. This soup could help you reach those goals but shouldn't be the only source of your nutrients, IMO.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup can be a tasty snack or meal, don't replace all of your food with it. Sometimes we just have to give our bodies time to catch up with what we are doing. If you are 'usually' pretty honest about your food - I would suggest geting better with that and see if that makes a difference.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options

While I'm just repeating some previous advice: You do not need to detox your system and you do not need to "kickstart" or "jumpstart" anything. You need a plan that you can stick with and you need to stick with it, and that's it.

1) Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit. 20% under TDEE is a good starting place.
    4) Rest and repeat.

Best of luck.
    [/quot

^^^ trust him he knows his stuff :flowerforyou:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

4) Rest and repeat.

Best of luck.

^^^^ This

It took TIME for you to put the weight on..its gonna take time to get it off. One of the things that bother me on this site is that people tend to rush their weight loss with FAD DIETS and get skinny quick schemes. It's a LIFETIME choice. Just eat healthy and exercise.
  • Navymustng
    Navymustng Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep tried it for a week and it works, but you will be so sick of cabbage soup by the end ot it you will never eat it again. Fad diet, cleans you out.

But you will gain it back again, I did, if you don't change your true diet.